Author Topic: BBQ Inspiration, Please  (Read 2059 times)

BBQ Inspiration, Please
« on: 19 July, 2015, 05:57:47 pm »
I have a small family BBQ for 8 coming up on Wednesday night, and I am conscious that I tend to roll out the same old same old.

So, with the world as your mollusc, what would you do? in terms of BBQ and the supporting cast.  No restrictions, I can cook up anything from a few burgers to whole pig (I have nearly as many barbies as bikes). Go for it.

Re: BBQ Inspiration, Please
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »
My friend does some very nice grilled aubergine slices (I *think* they're just with balsamic vinegar and olive oil) that always go down very well as a counterpoint to all the meat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »
Tell them you don't eat meat in the Nine Days... ;) ;D :demon:

Sorry, I have no suggestions as partner really dislike BBQ anything.

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2015, 06:30:54 pm »
My friend does some very nice grilled aubergine slices (I *think* they're just with balsamic vinegar and olive oil) that always go down very well as a counterpoint to all the meat.

Yeah, that falls into same old old, but thanks anyway (I quite deliberately didn't list the usual repertoire), although I tend not to do it for more than 4 as the quantity vs grill surface quotient is quite low and it isn't amenable to cooking and finishing later.

Tell them you don't eat meat in the Nine Days... ;) ;D :demon:

Sorry, I have no suggestions as partner really dislike BBQ anything.

Bugger me, so it is. I was thinking on Ramadan and Tisha b'av recently, thinking that the experience of going hungry is so far outside of most people's experience. I don't think that's a good thing, actually.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2015, 07:30:46 pm »
I have a small family BBQ for 8 coming up on Wednesday night, and I am conscious that I tend to roll out the same old same old.

So, with the world as your mollusc, what would you do? in terms of BBQ and the supporting cast.  No restrictions, I can cook up anything from a few burgers to whole pig (I have nearly as many barbies as bikes). Go for it.

It's pretty bog-standard bbq fayre but I really like a well cooked burger with a slice of that deliciously toxic cheese-like product that comes in perfectly formed squares and melts on cue. Throw on a grilled pineapple ring and maybe some grilled mushrooms and you end up with something that looks like it should have come from my side of the Atlantic.

If you've got a barbecue with a lid that closes for cooking with smoke present, use a small metal tray (fashioned out of tinfoil if needs be), put a light olive oil coating on some asparagus spears, and give those the treatment. With the lid down the smoke really adds something to the flavour of them. Use a separate tray for the mushrooms for the burger.

If you go to your local supermarket that has a meat deli counter, get the thickest slice they can cut of a nice fat chorizo sausage and chuck that on the grill. Flip it over half way to let the fat drain off - it will form a bowl shape. Don't put that one on a disposable plastic plate when it comes off the heat as it may melt through the plate (DAHIKT).
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2015, 07:42:08 pm »
Slices of tinned patra work well on a BBQ. Vegan too.

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:46:27 pm »
Skewers of prawns wrapped in streaky bacon are my favourite  8)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:19:41 am »
Beer can chicken.

Squeeky cheese.

Beef ribs.

I have a think about others.  If you are doing this on Wednesday it is a little late to doing ribs or pulled pork properly.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »
Beer can chicken.
Never tried, but can't see the benefit over rotisserie? (I have two rotisserie, one like this which does a great job on up to 3 chickens and of course this pig sized one (spoiler deployed out of consideration for people who don't want to look at a pig on a stick)
(click to show/hide)
)

Squeeky cheese.
Halloumi? or do you mean something else?

Beef ribs.

Not sure about the advantage of beef ribs, I'm thinking of cooking a beef rib joint, though.

I have a think about others.  If you are doing this on Wednesday it is a little late to doing ribs or pulled pork properly.

Agree about the pulled pork, tbh given the range of bbq stuffs open to me I never have engaged in that practice,  I really mean to one day. Ribs, I tend to oven cook in HamSauceTMand finish on the barbie, plenty of time for those.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2015, 12:20:44 pm »
Beer can chicken.
Never tried, but can't see the benefit over rotisserie? (I have two rotisserie, one like this which does a great job on up to 3 chickens and of course this pig sized one (spoiler deployed out of consideration for people who don't want to look at a pig on a stick)
(click to show/hide)
)

Squeeky cheese.
Halloumi? or do you mean something else?

Beef ribs.

Not sure about the advantage of beef ribs, I'm thinking of cooking a beef rib joint, though.

Agree about the pulled pork, tbh given the range of bbq stuffs open to me I never have engaged in that practice,  I really mean to one day. Ribs, I tend to oven cook in HamSauceTMand finish on the barbie, plenty of time for those.

Beer can chicken produces the most moist, succulent chook you have ever eaten, just remember to keep moving it or one side will be cooked and the other raw.  Especially good for those who are a little wary of leg meat as all the juies run down through the legs so the meat has to be tried to be believed.

Yes, Halloumi is squeeky cheese...

Beef ribs have the advantage of feeding 2 or 3 people per rib (and, oddly enough, really difficult to find in rural North Yorks, but easy to find in Sheffield)

With the ribs and pulled pork, both need at least a day, in the fridge, wearing a coat of the finest meat rub, before you even think of cooking them, hence why I say that it might be a bit late for them (bearing in mind the oven cook part then takes 5-6 hours).  FWIW for a Saturday evening BBQ I start the rib and pulled pork process on a Thursday.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »

Beer can chicken produces the most moist, succulent chook you have ever eaten, just remember to keep moving it or one side will be cooked and the other raw.  Especially good for those who are a little wary of leg meat as all the juies run down through the legs so the meat has to be tried to be believed.

Hmmmm interesting claim, I doubt that it will be better than a decent spit roast, just a way to emulate that effect without the kit. And, no, I wouldn't have to keep on turning it around coz I haz one of these, where it will stand up happily inside. I did mention that I had a bad barbie habit, didn't I?

Beef ribs have the advantage of feeding 2 or 3 people per rib (and, oddly enough, really difficult to find in rural North Yorks, but easy to find in Sheffield)

With the ribs and pulled pork, both need at least a day, in the fridge, wearing a coat of the finest meat rub, before you even think of cooking them, hence why I say that it might be a bit late for them (bearing in mind the oven cook part then takes 5-6 hours).  FWIW for a Saturday evening BBQ I start the rib and pulled pork process on a Thursday.

I can buy that with a joint, but 6 hours oven cook in the right concoction does a fair job at imbuing them with flavour. I have done extended marinades and rubs, but it honestly doesn't make my ribs any better. Jerk chicken? - you bet. Joints? every time.

What I use to cook them in is a goop of stock, molasses, star anise + stuff. It works.

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »
Not at home just now but get the "Blistering BBQs" book. Everything in it works well and tastes great.
The home made lamb kebab in pitta bread is fantastic. Uses lamb neck if I remember rightly.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:39:39 pm »
My friend had a whole huge Salmon, in a few layers of tinfoil, just steaming away on the BBQ in butter & lemon juice..

After a while he peeled open the top, and we just tucked in with forks.  It fell off the bone and my mouth is watering just thinking about it again.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #13 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:50:37 pm »
Fish does really well. If a meaty fish such as tuna or monkfish, marinade then put straight on. If a flaky fish then you'll need to wrap in foil. Prawns on a skewer are easy.
Sweet corn cobs are delicious.

And finish off with bananas, when the skins split open pour on a bit of rum, yum yum.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2015, 02:14:18 pm »
Halloumi and all is well.
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 21 July, 2015, 03:46:26 pm »
As it happens the forecast for tomorrow is not that good, so Kleftico is a front runner, accompanied by a Greek Salad, fresh baked pita and 2Bn Debt

« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:24:26 am »
Prawns on a skewer are easy.

And delicious when marinaded in lime juice and a chopped chilli and then sprinkled with coconut (dessicated or fresh) just before placing on BBQ.

Also, chicken wings marinated in soy sauce, honey, chilli, chopped garlic and ginger and Chinese 5 spice work well. An alternative is to marinade pieces of chicken breast as per the wings recipe and then make kebabs on skewers with courgette, cherry tomatoes, red onion pieces and any other veg that takes your fancy and makes the chicken go further.

As above I like teriyaki tuna or swordfish steak, teriyaki sauce is available most places.

I have a Levi Roots book with loads of different marinade ideas for grilling or BBQ - a particular favourite is calypso pork chops marinated in Rum, lime, chilli and honey (IIRC - but it definitely had rum).
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

contango

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:40:20 am »

Bacon smothered in a sweet chilli rub and cooked over the flames before they die down. Cook it reasonably crispy but not so much so that you lose the flavour of the rub. Had some this evening with friends - the rub included honey and cocoa. My friend grows hot peppers and makes his own sauces commercially from them, his wife can't eat hot foods at all because they disagree with her but she could eat this bacon and enjoy it.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #18 on: 25 July, 2015, 12:57:13 am »
Mistake reading this thread: I am so hungry now I could eat one of the kids. Luckily for them, neither has been marinated so crisps it'll have to be.

:'(
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

contango

« Reply #19 on: 25 July, 2015, 05:19:18 am »

Large prawns smothered in your choice of dry rub or suitably marinated, slowly cooked and then put into tacos.