Author Topic: Turbo trainer  (Read 13238 times)

Re: Turbo trainer
« Reply #125 on: 18 May, 2020, 01:26:21 pm »
I had a really weird experience yesterday. I signed up with Zwift, meaning to do the clubrun (as a meetup, obviously). I tried the introductory "hilly loop" a day or two ahead, for familiarisation, but got called away to real life before I'd finished, so left the ride part-done. I didn't have enough free kilometres left, so I paid before the run.

Yesterday, I clicked on the meetup in Zwift and was whisked off to another world, but it was back to the hilly loop. I was getting some updates from the meetup, but not many, and I couldn't see other riders. So I ended up doing the loop again, by myself. But I ran out of timed meetup (for the clubrun - I could see the remaining time) before I'd finished the loop. So I reckon that every time I go back into Zwift it will be groundhog day on the hilly loop, and I'll never finally finish it.

« Reply #126 on: 19 May, 2020, 05:14:19 pm »

I can't seem to end a ride without it closing the game, the only option I get is to "save and exit", if I press "back" I just go back to the ride and not any sort of main menu.

I think this a feature rather than a bug. The aim, I think, is for Zwift servers not to be overloaded by people logging on, switching between rides and never logging off between rides. Ending a ride forces you to log off and presumably freeing up server bandwidth for someone else until your next time.

BTW 1, take a look at zwiftinsider.com for interesting information on Zwift.

BTW 2, I've also been trying RGTcycling.com which is kind of similar, not as sophisticated but it is free.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Chris S

« Reply #127 on: 20 May, 2020, 06:37:46 pm »
INCOMING!

New motherboard for the dead Drivo incoming from Elite SRV tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

Can't fault the Support experience so far; especially as they're located in Covid-Central, Italy.

« Reply #128 on: 20 May, 2020, 07:14:07 pm »
INCOMING!

New motherboard for the dead Drivo incoming from Elite SRV tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

Can't fault the Support experience so far; especially as they're located in Covid-Central, Italy.

I think UK has taken over the mantle of covid-central! 

Good news, though.  Hope it fixes the problem.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Chris S

« Reply #129 on: 20 May, 2020, 07:20:02 pm »
Good news, though.  Hope it fixes the problem.

Indeed! Although....

I rode outside today.

« Reply #130 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:59:50 pm »
Wrong time to be asking, but once we're allowed to travel again (I'm trapped down in SW Wales)...

...are there any bike shops with a selection of demo turbos to try? Mainly smart ones.

I know Tredz in Swansea -currently covid closed - have one direct drive set up; I'm wondering if any further afield have a bit more choice.

If so, I'll probably struggle on with my knackered old fluid trainer until such time as I can go try a few out. Otherwise, I might as well just hunt stock on-line for now. It's a lot of money to drop for me and so I'd like to maximise the chances of getting it right first time...
Back in the saddle :)

« Reply #131 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:32:46 am »
Probably a bit far for you but Palace Cycles in Carlisle had a whole room filled with every model of Tacx trainer with bikes and computers/iPads for you to try. Mind you, they probably sold them all by now.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo