Author Topic: Rohloffs redesigned  (Read 17609 times)

Really Ancien

Re: Rohloffs redesigned
« Reply #25 on: 06 November, 2009, 05:49:38 pm »
The ring would probably have to be stainless steel to be strong enough, the profile of the existing hub flanges would have to be flattened to make it fit, so there's less alloy between the spoke holes and the beginning of the ring. if it works, all well and good. If it doesn't the next mod could be a stainless steel ring that is positively attached with spoke holes drilled in that. The virtue of a steel ring is that the alloy will expand more in hot conditions, I suspect they get it on by heating it like a steel tyre. The bimetallic corrosion shouldn't be any worse than that from the bolts.

Damon.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 06 November, 2009, 05:54:29 pm »
Where's your next expedition going to be?  A bit of off-roading?

YouTube just doesn't have enough gnarly tandemming down steps, buildings etc.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #27 on: 06 November, 2009, 06:09:37 pm »
To work, the ring has to be very tightly fit to generate "hoops" stresses in it and get rid of shear stresses in the hub.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #28 on: 11 February, 2010, 06:08:02 pm »
Wowbagger

A friend of mine has just got an interesting 48 spoke reinforced Rohloff wheel from Thorn.

Pictures here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2291.msg11449#msg11449

Shaun

I've just received my 4th Rohloff for the tandem, having broken the previous three.

The flanges on the new one have far more metal in them and also have a thickened "rim" to the flange.

This one has also been laced so that (it would appear at least) the bolt thickening areas will take the spoke stresses.

I've got a feeling it will be a long time before we break this one.

Rohloff dating from 2006

2009 Rohloff. (Phwooar! Look at the flanges on that!)

« Reply #29 on: 11 February, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 11 February, 2010, 06:32:58 pm »
I hope they've used triple-butted spokes, as anything else would be inappropriate for such a high-innuendo wheel.

« Reply #31 on: 17 August, 2020, 07:34:54 pm »
Thread revival.

Some of you will know that after 27 months of not cycling and one hasty purchase and then subsequent disposal of a unicorn, er I mean Hase Pino, I have recently acquired a Thorn Raven Discovery.  It is equipped with a Rohloff and this Rohloff does not appear to have the flange reinforcements.

Time will tell but the crew weigh a combined 180kgs.  My friend Martin will be the main but not only pilot.   It is kitted out with S&S couplings and Thorn's own rather industrial front and rear racks but I doubt that it will ever go touring.

I will keep an eye on my flanges and report any anomalies.  I'm hoping that I will not have to call on the lifetime warranty.

« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2020, 09:13:01 pm »
I'm one flange breakage behind Wowbagger, though the second one may have been bought about by a change in wheel size that the handbook advises against. They have gone through several minor changes, internally and external and I think the flanges have been beefed up.
There's some misunderstanding about the support rings, Rohloff don't make any claim that they'll reduce the chances of a failure, rather that they'll increase the likelihood of being able to continue with the wheel till it's convenient to have it replaced.  They also recommend that you have them fitted next time the wheel is rebuilt but not to rebuild the wheel just for that purpose. I have hubs with and without.