Author Topic: If I had £100 to spend on a tent I would buy.....  (Read 11259 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: If I had £100 to spend on a tent I would buy.....
« Reply #25 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:06:20 pm »
Well, I took the plunge an bought the Coleman Avior X2.  There were a number of reviews on the net and they seemed fairly positive.  The fact that Amazon had it for £63, with free postage, also swung it for me.  I'll let you know how I get on.

I've bought the X3 and it looks excellent although I've not yet used it in practice apart from a test erection in my back garden. (did I really just say that?)

Quality is superb and I like the way the inner tent is already fitted inside the outer. The ventilation system looks good too, there is a semi rigid "bar" which can be attached with Velcro to hold the vent open and it also has adjustable ventilation in the interior.

I really should do a review once I get to try it out properly.

Owner of a languishing Langster

bikenerd

« Reply #26 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:48:33 am »
Someone on the CTC forum is selling an unused Vaude hogan 2 for £75+P&P.  Bit of a bargain.
linky

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #27 on: 19 May, 2008, 05:55:45 pm »
urban_biker and MercuryKev, have you had a chance to try your Coleman tents yet?

I'm looking for a tent to share with my girlfriend in Iceland this summer.  We need something that will stay up if most of the pegs come loose -- some campsites have ground so hard that it's difficult to hammer pegs in (guy lines can be tied round rocks).  It will also need to stand up to a bit of wind and rain.

Craig, does your North Face Tadpole meet these requirements? (I don't think it needs any pegs)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #28 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:32:51 pm »
I've used the avoir x2 once since I bought it (camping next to Craig as it happens).  It was easy and quick to put up and it held up to a whole night of rain, with no issues at all.  However, if I was camping with another person, I'd get the x3, cos it would be a bit cramped inside.

The tent pegs are square cross section alloy.  Pretty tough and probably able to bash into hard ground.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #29 on: 19 May, 2008, 07:30:27 pm »
I'd get a forty quid festival tit from Millets.  They're startlingly good compared to Tentes Of Olde.  And then spend the rest on some good sleep mats.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 19 May, 2008, 08:51:16 pm »
I have two of those, the interior zip has gone on one though.

The exterior zip went on one of mine, now replaced :)

Mine has the same problem. I bought a £20 lidl tent (2 berth) as a quick replacement. I'll see what the seamstresses in Dock Street can do.*

..d

*Yes there are, and they have a shop. Not that sort of seamstress..

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #31 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:31:35 pm »
I brought a Vango Beta a year or two ago, at the time it seemed the best all rounder judging from opinions and reviews. I went for the larger 4 berth 450 so that if we had bikes etc we could stick 'em inside. I've never used it though so I can't say if it's actually any good.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

peter carter 2

« Reply #32 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:45:25 pm »
Decathlon tents , if you are near one , are worth considering.

Craig

« Reply #33 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:42:29 pm »
I'm looking for a tent to share with my girlfriend in Iceland this summer.  We need something that will stay up if most of the pegs come loose -- some campsites have ground so hard that it's difficult to hammer pegs in (guy lines can be tied round rocks).  It will also need to stand up to a bit of wind and rain.

Craig, does your North Face Tadpole meet these requirements? (I don't think it needs any pegs)
Yes, the Tadpole stands up without pegs just fine. Except for the porch which would collapse in, but you could probably hold that out with rocks or similar.
I've used it for camping in a variety of weather in Scotland, and its coped fine with the wind and rain. Though you have to make sure the outer is on fairly tight, else it can touch against the inner a bit in winds.

« Reply #34 on: 20 May, 2008, 01:43:46 pm »
I thought £20 for a Lidl 2 man tent was cheap until I went into Tesco at the weekend.  £7.99 for their value one!!!

(My old tent filled with water last bank holiday, and that cost me much more originally.  I wondered whether the Tesco Value tent might not actually be an upgrade :-[)

bobajobrob

« Reply #35 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:58:02 am »
Here's an action shot of my Argos Pro Action tent a couple of weeks ago.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #36 on: 21 May, 2008, 02:17:45 am »
Errr tis not worky bob
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

bobajobrob

« Reply #37 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:32:27 am »
Errr tis not worky bob

Thanks, dyndns.org deleted my account (again) >:(

It should be working now.