Author Topic: Self inflating camping mat  (Read 2855 times)

Self inflating camping mat
« on: 07 March, 2010, 07:33:25 pm »
We need to replace the very uncomfortable sleeping mats we got last year for something a bit better.
Any recs for a self inflating camping mat?
Thanks in advance

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Self inflating camping mat
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:34:55 pm »
What's your budget?

Thermarest have a good reputation but there's another make which we bought but haven't used yet and I'm trying to remember what it's called without going upstairs to have a look at one. Not cheap - >£100 for the latter.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »
Up to £40 or so.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:39:57 pm »
alpkit.com - good gear, cheap prices, quick delivery, british company :thumbsup:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »
I was looking at the Reg Airic, but that is right on the budget limit.
Is it any good, used it etc?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:48:16 pm »
I've got a Wee Airic that's been great for trekking etc. I had one, lost it and was happy to replace it with another Wee Airic. Various friends have Alpkit Airic's that they have been happy with them for the price. Did you notice that Alpkit are currently offering £10 off if you buy two Regular Airic's?

Double Whammy Offer Purchase 2 Reg Airics and save £10. Drop Reg in your Alpbag and change the quantity to 2 for the offer to apply.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:02:07 pm »
I've got a Reg Airic, and am very impressed with it.  I'm not exactly skinny and tend to sleep on my side, so wanted something decently thick on the basis that I'd rather lug the extra weight than not sleep properly.  I've used it successfully for a couple of cycle-camping trips, and have lent it to a people for sleeping on the (fairly cold) floor purposes a few times, with absolutely no complaints.

Our sofa-bed recently coughed up a Thermarest (I forget the exact model, but dimensions are similar to the Wee Airic), which I eventually determined belonged to a friend who visited several months ago.  Out of curiosity, I let it inflate and tried it for comfort.  It's about half the thickness of Reg Airic, and lying on my side is impossible without uncomfortable hip pressure, so I reckon I made the right decision.

If you can happily sleep on your back, or really care about the packed size/weight, then Reg Airic may be overkill, but otherwise it's an excellent value general-purpose mat.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:15:15 pm »
Something I posted a while back.

Thermarest or equivalent

« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:41:36 pm »
Exped Downmat. Better than Thermarest and more compact. Warmer and more comfortable. The BEST mats :). I wish they did a 3 foot one that we could use as a double :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:47:14 pm »
Exped Downmat. Better than Thermarest and more compact. Warmer and more comfortable. The BEST mats :). I wish they did a 3 foot one that we could use as a double :).

Completely agree, except, rather over his budget. 

« Reply #10 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:13:24 pm »
My Alpkit wee airic is no longer self inflating after a few years use, but it only takes a lung full of air to inflate it.

At £20 for a comfortable mat that is under 500g, I'd buy another if I needed it.

Don't ask.

PH

« Reply #11 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:19:44 pm »
We need to replace the very uncomfortable sleeping mats we got last year for something a bit better.
Any recs for a self inflating camping mat?
Thanks in advance
What were the uncomfortable mats?  It would give a baseline so you didn't end up with something equally bad!
The comfort advantage of the Downmat comes from the large air pocket, the down is there for insulation.  If you're planning summer only camping in warmish climates, you could have the comfort without the insulation.  Just an airmat on its own or an airmat with some insulation like a foam mat underneath.  I use either an insulated Big Agnes airbed or an uninsulated Exped, in the summer I can’t tell the difference except the Exped is half the weight.
Exped AirMat 7.5 and AirMat 7.5 PLUS Air Mattress

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:33:58 am »
Our original mats came from Decathlon and cost about £10. I think you can understand why we had discomfort after the second night on the road  :(
Thanks for the recs. The Alpkit Slim Airic looks good.