Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517704 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3850 on: 21 March, 2020, 08:34:08 pm »
I did a 44km loop heading west, and experienced very similar. Lots of walkers and cyclists, with the majority of the latter appearing to be 'non-enthusiasts' just out for a bimble. Drivers were brilliant too, with more than usual needing me to wave them through when they were being a bit too cautious.

It felt more warming than usual to have the acknowledgement from other cyclists.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3851 on: 23 March, 2020, 11:44:01 pm »
Looks like the not-an arrow will need to be postponed?? No pubs open for a while and such like. I think I'll cancel my booking at the hotel tomorrow.
Regards,

Joergen

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3853 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:10:32 am »
Looks like the not-an arrow will need to be postponed?? No pubs open for a while and such like. I think I'll cancel my booking at the hotel tomorrow.

I've just emailed to cancel my reservation  :'(  There doesn't seem to be a cancellation button.  I was really looking forward to the Not-The-Arrow.  We shall have to do it once this unpleasantness is out the way.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3854 on: 26 March, 2020, 05:16:54 pm »
Fixie folk...

In the past I've got up TMNH on BJ the Fixie but its been a real struggle.  I had a go the other morning and had to get off and push up the steepest bit rather than do myself a mischief; its not a leg thing, I just run out of puff.

BJ's chain ring is 44T, at the moment his cog is 18T but I have a 22T which I could try.  Obviously I could just give it a go rather than ask daft questions here and I shall but does anyone else have experience of 44x22?  I imagine its quite spinny.

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #3855 on: 26 March, 2020, 05:39:47 pm »
53-54 inches, could be difficult down hill and on the flat. Doesn’t hurt to try though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3856 on: 26 March, 2020, 06:27:02 pm »
53-54 inches, could be difficult down hill and on the flat. Doesn’t hurt to try though.

Actually, come to fink of it BJ has a flippy / floppy hub so I could put the bigger cog on the other side.  At the mo there's a freewheel on there, which I think I remember someone saying were bastards to get off but it's worth investigating.

Andy C33

« Reply #3857 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:07:55 pm »
From 18 to 22 might need a different chain length.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3858 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:11:13 pm »
From 18 to 22 might need a different chain length.

Yes I had thought about that. I think once I have finished Fred’s cleaning, servicing and upgrade programme I will turn my attention to BJ. Dakota has already been done.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #3859 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:22:49 pm »
Actually, come to fink of it BJ has a flippy / floppy hub so I could put the bigger cog on the other side.  At the mo there's a freewheel on there, which I think I remember someone saying were bastards to get off but it's worth investigating.
If the hub is designed for free/fixed, the free side might not be threaded to accept a locknut to use with the fixed cog. Depending on the make/model of freewheel you'll need a specific tool (and from experience a very large spanner and the ability to put your whole bodyweight on it).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3860 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:32:42 pm »
If the hub is designed for free/fixed, the free side might not be threaded to accept a locknut to use with the fixed cog. Depending on the make/model of freewheel you'll need a specific tool (and from experience a very large spanner and the ability to put your whole bodyweight on it).

If needs be I’ll walk it round to BFC’s house!  In my experience he’ll fix most issues in exchange for beer  :-*

« Reply #3861 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:58:03 pm »
Many years ago when I had a fixed cycle (a hobbs grass track)I ran a58 inch gear which I could just get up a 1in7 hill with. I found that it was easier to slow down than when I used a 72 inch gear. I remember riding the beech hill 200 using it and riding out to wild camp at the site of the Roman town of silcester , :)
the slower you go the more you see

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3862 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:07:41 am »
I rode the lumpy old "Dorset Coast" 200km a couple of times on fixed. Firstly on 65", then lowered to 60" the following year, but to be honest I still walked the same steeper hills (Abbotsbury and Spyway, just about keeping up with Brian Callow on the latter, he tacking on the very narrow lane, back wheel hardly moving) and downhill was on the brakes a lot to avoid kneecaps going onto orbit.

In Essex at least, I find 65" best for winter and 72" the rest of the time, though 75" is good for the Fens and I have managed to grind it up the 10% climb of Canwick Hill south out of Lincoln. The advantage of a lower fixed gear in winter, to me (apart from generally lower fitness) is the ability to stay seated on climbs, which gives a bit more control and traction on slippery surfaces.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #3863 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:36:13 am »
If needs be I’ll walk it round to BFC’s house!  In my experience he’ll fix most issues in exchange for beer  :-*

Sensible approach - BFC will definitely get it sorted  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3864 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:50:58 am »

Sensible approach - BFC will definitely get it sorted  :thumbsup:

I just have to finish re-taping Fred's bars, I've reverted from down tube to bar end shifters, and then I will turn my attention to BJ.  Not only can I have a look at his gearing but I have some Midge bars to try on him.  They worked really well on Son of Oscar the Ribble, not quite as good as the Salsa Woodchippers I have on Fred, but much less expensive!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3865 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:28:32 am »
I wonder if the doggers are still down at Hurrells Lane ford.  You'd hope not as I'm not sure social distancing works with dogging.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3866 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:30:40 am »
I wonder if the doggers are still down at Hurrells Lane ford.  You'd hope not as I'm not sure social distancing works with dogging.
No need to social distance with members of the same household van  :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3867 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:59:41 am »

We should send someone to check.  Who lives nearest...?

Andy C33

« Reply #3868 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:19:44 pm »
Jem has a fondness for getting dirty knees at Hurrells Lane ford, she may be happy to carry out a reconnaissance.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3869 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:26:07 pm »
Jem has a fondness for getting dirty knees at Hurrells Lane ford, she may be happy to carry out a reconnaissance.

Very public spirited!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3870 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:59:18 pm »

My brother (AKA The Danbury Dogger) says it's never been the same down Hurrells Lane since huggy sold his white van, you know, the one with the mattress in the back :o

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #3871 on: 31 March, 2020, 08:01:10 pm »

Very public spirited!

I'll point her in the right direction tomorrow morning on her way to work :thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3872 on: 01 April, 2020, 11:07:56 pm »

Get down there in your NCN Ranger outfit and spray paint some 2 metre distancing lines.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3873 on: 07 May, 2020, 12:07:49 pm »
Things have changed a bit since my last Wednesday night outing.

The obvious differences are the very short haircuts sported by OD and the Quizmaster General.

The fact we are on Zoom rather than in a pub is also worthy of a mention.

Otherwise it's plus ca change really.  In these new realities it is comforting to see that OD is still as daft as something very daft - last night he was cooking hot dogs and onions on a Trangia to recreate the authentic experience of a Boss Hogg's kebab.  I bet a few short weeks ago none of us really expected to spend an evening transfixed by kebab cam, then again, none of us were.  The least he could have done was set himself on fire and mistake the meths bottle for a fire extinguisher.

I logged in to find Mr and Mrs Jiber, QG, the Hustler, Bernster, Toby's Dad, Juan Sebastian Elcano, Tomsk, Oaky and mein host Huggy staring at their cameras, waiting for somebody to say something, actually say anything really.  Normally at this point we would be unpacking our bikes and marvelling at my latest engineering feat/unexplained noise and handing over our hard earned to the BB.  On Zoom we wait for OD's usual mouth/brain interface malfunction to manifest itself and then we're off.  "Has anyone done anything exciting this week then ?" he eventually blurted.  You can imagine the rush of fascinating lockdown tales that followed - ranging from a trip to the shops to walking to the end of the street - hijinks indeed.  Those two minutes fairly flew by. 

Fortunately we were rescued by the arrival of our special guest - a goat in a pen.  According to QG, who had arranged the whole thing, having a captive animal appear during a Zoom call is all the rage in the wacky world of project management.  I can see why, who could fail to be won over by a goat trying to get to sleep while someone films it.  Then, suddenly, events took a dramatic turn - "we may have to cut this short" said the cryptic message on goat cam, "Lisa is kidding" then appeared.  Being slow on the uptake, I thought they meant the cutting short message was a hilarious prank but, no, Lisa really was kidding (the fact Lisa the goat was heavily pregnant should have been a sufficient clue).  QG has promised to follow up with the goat cam people.  Perhaps they will name it after one of us - Hustler the Kid has a bit of a ring.

Things took a definite upturn when we moved onto reminisces of WWII.  It is often surprising how few people actually undertook active duty at the front but there were a few to be remembered.  I really liked Tomsk's tale of Tomsk pere who was stationed in Egypt but not just racing around in tanks with Monty or drinking ice cold beer in Alexandria. The talented Tomsk senior was drawing maps in his makeshift studio in a tomb in the Valley of the Kings.  I wonder if they let him out sometimes to watch Huggy's dad and uncle refereeing army football matches.

The next exciting conversation starter was "what are you doing for VE Day".  Clearly only Tomsk knew it was VE Day on Friday and only Tomsk knew that Prosecco was the correct drink - I suppose it helps if you were there first time around.  That was another well spent two minutes.

QG to the rescue again, this time with one of his famous quizzes.  I am assuming that technical issues were responsible for it being two rounds rather than his usual 68 but the pictorial WWII themed questions on offer were challenging enough.  OD and Huggy tied for first place (it is self-marked).

As is so often the case, as soon as OD left the call the MEMWNS brains trust found an impenetrable technical issue to discuss - non-server based Kittykat telephony protocols finally tore Bernster away from the work he had been doing all night whilst pretending to listen.  All the Hustler and I could do while the jargon span across the ether was pretend to smoke large Cuban cigars with our pens - we like to look useful when it's all going above our heads.  We soon found ourselves muted like a pair of virtual Marcel Marceaux channelling Groucho Marx.   Redemption was shortly at hand for the Hustler in the shape of an equally fascinating debate on the Essex County boundary changes of 1965 and their effect on social identity.  I am afraid to report that I had completely lost the thread by the time the raging torrent of argument had reached the great Epping Forest divide of 1993.  We definitely need something to reopen where we can meet in person.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Andy C33

« Reply #3874 on: 07 May, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
Like Noah’s Dove returning with an olive branch, Teds first report since forever may signify the beginning of the end of lockdown.