Author Topic: RIP Gordon Banks  (Read 2693 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
RIP Gordon Banks
« on: 12 February, 2019, 11:02:54 am »
My childhood hero...  :'(
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Re: RIP Gordon Banks
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2019, 11:08:54 am »
A terrific keeper and a lynchpin of the '66 squad.  Tors, remember Sheffield and Chesterfield for the quiz!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2019, 12:01:40 pm »
Not Stoke City?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2019, 12:38:30 pm »
That's the easy bit!  Born in Sheffield.....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2019, 01:15:47 pm »
I wondered why his picture was in the BT this morning.

I remember when he lost the sight of an eye in an RTA and the judge said something like "your fault, tut tut but I still think you're great".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2019, 04:56:26 pm »
This could go in the "things I have learned today" thread but might as well go here:
I was born with poor vision in one eye (a "lazy eye"). It mostly isn't a problem at all (in order of inconvenience, I can't see 3-D effects at the cinema, I struggle to put eye make-up on to the good eye, and my periferal vision over my right shoulder (the right eye is the bad one) isn't that good). However I've always struggled with hand-eye co-ordination - any sport that involves hitting or catching a ball and I'm hopeless. So to learn that Gordon Banks carried on goal-keeping with the sight in one eye only - well there goes that excuse  :(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2019, 05:25:17 pm »
ISTR that Colin Milburn, England opening bat in the late 1960s, was injured in a car crash and also lost the sight of one eye.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2019, 06:00:00 pm »
The Pele save in the 1970 world cup.
https://youtu.be/2G_q2aB5G6o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2019, 06:35:34 am »
I was at primary school during the 70 World Cup, anyone remember the Jairzihno goal celebration we all used to emulate?

RIP GB, an absolute hero to those of a certain age.

A

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:05:52 am »
This could go in the "things I have learned today" thread but might as well go here:
I was born with poor vision in one eye (a "lazy eye"). It mostly isn't a problem at all (in order of inconvenience, I can't see 3-D effects at the cinema, I struggle to put eye make-up on to the good eye, and my periferal vision over my right shoulder (the right eye is the bad one) isn't that good). However I've always struggled with hand-eye co-ordination - any sport that involves hitting or catching a ball and I'm hopeless. So to learn that Gordon Banks carried on goal-keeping with the sight in one eye only - well there goes that excuse  :(
If it's any help, you're missing nu'in with the 3-D business, and you should watch this video to rate Banks' catching skills:

The Pele save in the 1970 world cup.
https://youtu.be/2G_q2aB5G6o

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:28:56 am »
The greatest 'keepr of his geneation. In the World. RIP Gordon.

« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2019, 12:29:01 pm »
I was at primary school during the 70 World Cup, anyone remember the Jairzihno goal celebration we all used to emulate?

RIP GB, an absolute hero to those of a certain age.

A
I too, was at Primary School at the time, and remember watching the match. Come the final,
I wanted Italy to win, because they beat West Germany in the semi final (West Germany had
beaten England in the quarter final. Brazil also beat England in the group stages, so I wanted
Italy to atone for that defeat).