General Category > Freewheeling

How many A roads have you cycled on?

(1/17) > >>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete:
Whilst nursing a lurgy, pondered the question how many of the 1- and 2-digit A roads had I cycled on, which gave the pleasurable experience of exploring memories and logbooks.  The answer came to 66 of the 99 roads numbers A1 to A99.  Many of them were for very short sections (as little as a hundred meters or so) , usually as a result of an Audax route having to use a short section of a main road.  Two of them - the A29 and A94, I think I've done the whole length of the road. 

Ian H:
I think you should allow the A303, it being a major trunk road.

drossall:
There was an A-roads game thread on here, or possibly on Cycling UK, at one time. Participants were attempting (collectively) to ride on all the nation's A roads, in numerical order. I'll have another go at finding it later.

Wowbagger:

--- Quote from: drossall on 25 February, 2023, 07:19:17 pm ---There was an A-roads game thread on here, or possibly on Cycling UK, at one time. Participants were attempting (collectively) to ride on all the nation's A roads, in numerical order. I'll have another go at finding it later.

--- End quote ---

It was on this forum's predecessor. It was started by Sir Simon Legg-Bandage, and he has never set foot over here.

Zed43:
A roads? Who cares about A roads when you can have motorways

M1 out of Dublin: massive roadworks in 1998 and when I asked about the "old airport road" I got directions that got me in 30 seconds on the motorway in rush hour. Thrilling! Overtaken by a police car twice, neither could be bothered.

M48 across the Severn bridge. Closed to traffic because of maintenance, I could not resist and ride on the main road instead of the cycling path. Got some funny looks fro road workers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version