Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624549 times)

fuzzy

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3675 on: 23 July, 2013, 09:06:15 am »
On a similar note, I am struggling to avoid buying a Fat Bike (fundinfg would cause severe strife for someone- probably me!) so was really incovinienced when, whilst at the Trek world event at Silverstone last week, some complete bastards put the Trek Farley on display ::-)

The link is to a Polish (I think) blog which had the best selection of images.

A very desireable bit of kit which needs me to sacrifice £1700 beer tokens to obtain.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3676 on: 23 July, 2013, 09:36:13 am »
On a similar note, I am struggling to avoid buying a Fat Bike (fundinfg would cause severe strife for someone- probably me!) so was really incovinienced when, whilst at the Trek world event at Silverstone last week, some complete bastards put the Trek Farley on display ::-)

A very desireable bit of kit which needs me to sacrifice £1700 beer tokens to obtain.
Genesis Caribou and a gen-yoo-ine Pugsley are cheaper.
On-One Fatty cheaper still.

Just sayin' ...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3677 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:20:50 am »

Is this before or after you buy a recumbent trike, or have you already slipped one of those into the stable?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #3678 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:49:19 pm »
As you can see. I am in serious do do in the want stakes ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #3679 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:50:11 pm »

Just sayin' ...

yeahbut, the Farley is the nicest looking fatty I have seen (with the exception of our Mr Bloke) IMHO.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3680 on: 23 July, 2013, 12:59:39 pm »

Just sayin' ...

yeahbut, the Farley is the nicest looking fatty I have seen (with the exception of our Mr Bloke) IMHO.
Two words: Salsa Beargrease.
Bonus extra word: Carbon

[FX: exuent, whistling innocently ... ;D]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3681 on: 24 July, 2013, 09:10:10 am »
It's a terrible tragedy, and I don't want to lose sight of that.  Two girls have drowned in the notoriously strong River Wear, not far from where I used to live.

But why did the BBC call it the River Ware?  It's a major British river, sixty miles long, FHS.  It flows through two cities - Durham and Sunderland, - passing by nearly 400,000 people, and has one of the most picturesque dales in the country.  Ignorance.
Getting there...

« Reply #3682 on: 24 July, 2013, 09:25:22 am »
Or just a typo. One headline on the BBC home page talked about a "murdered muslim ma."

Have the BBC been employing a whole load of ex-Grauniad sub-editors?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3683 on: 24 July, 2013, 09:26:16 am »
Not a typo.  This was spoken on Radio 4 Today news headlines.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3684 on: 24 July, 2013, 10:22:18 am »
Or you could save your ears from hours of proto-fascistic caterwauling.

I wear that badge with pride, where a pompous hack like Wagner is concerned. ;)

You might find last night's "Twnety Minutes" interesting: The Soviet Valkyrie
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3685 on: 24 July, 2013, 11:46:29 am »
It's a terrible tragedy, and I don't want to lose sight of that.  Two girls have drowned in the notoriously strong River Wear, not far from where I used to live.

But why did the BBC call it the River Ware?  It's a major British river, sixty miles long, FHS.  It flows through two cities - Durham and Sunderland, - passing by nearly 400,000 people, and has one of the most picturesque dales in the country.  Ignorance.
Yeah. I noticed that. Not being from round there, I wondered if that was the local (i.e. correct) pronunciation, & I'd been getting it wrong all my life, but from what you say, I've been right all along & the Beeb was wrong.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3686 on: 24 July, 2013, 11:50:17 am »
I have come to the sad conclusion that, due to financial constraints, I am going to be unable to accompany Mrs T and TLD to Croatia on September :( :'(

Rs
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3687 on: 24 July, 2013, 11:54:05 am »

Yeah. I noticed that. Not being from round there, I wondered if that was the local (i.e. correct) pronunciation, & I'd been getting it wrong all my life, but from what you say, I've been right all along & the Beeb was wrong.

Local pronunciation (and I lived about a mile from it at one point, so I am sure about this), is emphasis on the first syllable, and definite break between them, so something like 'weeyur'.
Getting there...

« Reply #3688 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:10:13 pm »
Beeb pronunciation of loads of Northern Places is shite.

London bias, innit.

(I say Wee-ah).

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3689 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:22:24 pm »
Beeb pronunciation of loads of Northern Places is shite.

London bias, innit.

(I say Wee-ah).
Not too far off how its pronounced where my parents live near Durham (about a mile from the river itself, as the crow flies) - albeit with a short 'a' ('Wee-a') - the IPA rendering is /ˈwɪər/ (wee-r)

Basically, if its north of Watford the Beeb will either pretend it doesn't exist or fuck up the pronounciation (most of their facilities may be in Salford, but they're still annoyingly London-centric)

fuzzy

« Reply #3690 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:31:49 pm »

Just sayin' ...

Two words: Salsa Beargrease.
Bonus extra word: Carbon

[FX: exuent, whistling innocently ... ;D]

fuzzy prepares to deploy the Innocent Whistle Seeking Missile System.

« Reply #3691 on: 24 July, 2013, 08:09:51 pm »
I've been waking up with a sore, stiff left foot this week and limping. Sounds like Plantar fasciitis  :(   Time to do some stretching to see if I can make it go away.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3692 on: 25 July, 2013, 09:57:27 am »
When I commute, I get hungry about half an hour to an hour after I stop.  Normally, a cereal bar helps.

I forgot to bring any cereal bars in today. :(

The shop across the road doesn't sell cereal bars. :(

It does sell chocolate :(

Small grumble, I know.  More of a rumble than a grumble...
Getting there...

« Reply #3693 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:02:17 pm »
My ankles and feet are covered in weepy bites. One of them has a really angry swollen red patch round it and my ankle has turned into a cankle.

It's my own stupid fault for going camping and forgetting insect repellent (it doesn't stop them completely but does reduce them).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3694 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:09:00 pm »
Hate it when that happens.  Time to start cutting up sanitary towels and taping them to your ankles?  (absorbs the weepyness and gets in the way of further scratching)

« Reply #3695 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:23:13 pm »
That's such a good idea but I don't have sanitary towels to hand, being a mooncup user for some years now... Will try to improvise with something else. Trying very hard not think about the itching...

« Reply #3696 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
That's such a good idea but I don't have sanitary towels to hand, being a mooncup user for some years now... Will try to improvise with something else. Trying very hard not think about the itching...

Stick a mooncup over every bite. Then at least you'll look like a Dalek...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3697 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »
It did occur to me that after a few pints, I might have a little difficulty locating my tent in the campsite.  As it happens, I can't even remember where the bloody campsite is.   :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3698 on: 28 July, 2013, 08:43:37 pm »
Probably best to stay in the pub then...   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3699 on: 29 July, 2013, 10:05:40 am »
Or you could save your ears from hours of proto-fascistic caterwauling.

:o  Philistine!

And ride your bike, natch.

HTH ;)

Heading over to the Albert Hall extends my commute a fair bit, so it would involve riding my bike.  ;)

I was so tired last night I actually fell asleep listening to Gotterdamerung. Imagine how embarrassing that would have been in the Albert Hall - especially in my pyjamas!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.