Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624476 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3725 on: 12 August, 2013, 06:25:00 pm »
They've painted over the John Paul Jones ship mural in Whitehaven and replaced it with a picture of Gulliver tied up by the Lilliputians. The first picture had some historical significance to the town, the new one has absolutely no link to Whitehaven.
I had to do a quick search for that, largely because I was struggling to see the connection between Led Zeppelin's bassist and Whitehaven ...

... as it turns out, there isn't one. There is a connection between Whitehaven and this chap, however.

« Reply #3726 on: 12 August, 2013, 08:28:34 pm »
I'll put this here because it was a full rant but I've calmed down a bit.

My darling wife has just informed she 'rubbed' the kerb with the car today. The rub has just cost me over £300 for a new Pirelli and I think the wheel is fooked too. I've got a mate calling to look at the wheel tomorrow but it looks beyond repair.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3727 on: 13 August, 2013, 08:29:01 am »

My darling wife has just informed she 'rubbed' the kerb with the car today. The rub has just cost me over £300 for a new Pirelli and I think the wheel is fooked too. I've got a mate calling to look at the wheel tomorrow but it looks beyond repair.

And if it was a front wheel then I'd suggest you get the wheel alignment checked too.  Sorry, but with what must be a fairly high performance car to have £300 tyres, it is a bit critical...  :'( :'(
Wombat

« Reply #3728 on: 13 August, 2013, 09:28:04 am »
my water infection is back :(. more tests at the doctors tomorrow  :(.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3729 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:17:20 am »

And if it was a front wheel then I'd suggest you get the wheel alignment checked too.  Sorry, but with what must be a fairly high performance car to have £300 tyres, it is a bit critical...  :'( :'(

All tracking, steering is okay. Wheel is knackered!

I won't say how expensive one is to replace but let's just say I hope she's learnt a lesson. I'm off for a sit down now, my legs have gone a bit wobbly :(

In fact I'd better put a few more hours in this week and not sit down or sleep at all!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3730 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:30:13 am »
A license to drill for fracking has been issued for the area where I'm trying to buy a house. F*cking wonderful.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3731 on: 13 August, 2013, 11:32:14 am »
Oh FFS - yet another cancelled appointment by Scattish PoopFacePower - customer care bod apologised while saying it wasn't their fault that (a) wrong parts had been ordered, and (b), because of travel time the engineer wouldn't be able to make it today....

Apparently engineer is now supposed to turn up on Thursday morning.....

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3732 on: 13 August, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »
Failed again!

Chefs at work, stop making such lovely cakes, seriously, just stoppit, ok?

I couldn't decide today between the raspberry slice or the mars bar cake.

So guess what I did?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3733 on: 13 August, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »
I couldn't decide today between the raspberry slice or the mars bar cake.

So guess what I did?
Both?
It's what I'd do ...

« Reply #3734 on: 13 August, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »
A license to drill for fracking has been issued for the area where I'm trying to buy a house. F*cking wonderful.
Use it to beat down the vendors.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3735 on: 13 August, 2013, 10:20:59 pm »
On One/Planet X. Your main showroom is in Rotherham not Sheffield as you keep saying it is.[/chippy Rotherhamite]
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3736 on: 14 August, 2013, 03:48:28 pm »
Oh god!  Some shouty woman has installed herself at the desk next to me, which unfortunately is unoccupied today.  I think she is something to do with the team behind me – a visitor from another office.
Her mobile is in constant use – incoming and out going.
She’s really shouty.  Horrible short snappy conversations.  Almost every sentence punctuated by “tcha” of exasperation.

“Well I don’t know”  What do you want to do”  “Why are you calling me”

I can’t work out if she’s a truculent Admin, or a crap senior manager.

SHUT UP!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3737 on: 14 August, 2013, 11:31:55 pm »
Tomtom, you are supposed to help me navigate. You are not supposed to:
a) take me down Swindon one way streets in the wrong direction.
b) insist that I cross the channel via the channel tunnel, even though I'm sitting in the dock yard at Dover
and c) you are definitely not supposed to plot a route from Swindon to Dover East Docks via the channel tunnel and Calais ferry
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3738 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:22:29 pm »
In my work capacity as Custodian of Strong Radioactive Sources, I've been told I need to get some padlocks upgrades to a specific spec.

So I call the local Big Locksmith Company.
They know exactly what I'm talking about, and we agree a product and price.
8 padlocks at about £130 each.
He agrees to send me an e-mail confirming the order.

The e-mail comes in from ken.whatever@dumslensecurity.com.
( In all-caps. )

Fine.
After 2 weeks elapse, I need to chase the order.
I phone them.

Me: "Hi, Can I speak to Ken Whatever, please.
Them: "Sorry, he's left the company."
Me: "Ah. Then is there anyone else I can speak to, please? Concerning an order placed a couple of weeks ago?"
Them: "I'll put you through to the shop."
<ring ring>
"Hello?"
"Yes, hello. I  was looking for Ken Whatever, but I understand he's left the company..."
"Oh, yes. He left 5 years ago."
"But I was corresponding with him only 2 weeks ago..."
"Oh. Was it by e-mail?"
"Yes..."
"Ah, well, he set up out computer. He set up the only e-mail address we have.  We don't know how to change it.   So all our e-mail appears to come from him."
Me: " ..... <speechless> "

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3739 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:39:54 pm »
Oh god!  Some shouty woman has installed herself at the desk next to me, which unfortunately is unoccupied today.  I think she is something to do with the team behind me – a visitor from another office.
Her mobile is in constant use – incoming and out going.
She’s really shouty.  Horrible short snappy conversations.  Almost every sentence punctuated by “tcha” of exasperation.

“Well I don’t know”  What do you want to do”  “Why are you calling me”

I can’t work out if she’s a truculent Admin, or a crap senior manager.

SHUT UP!

Ah - the dubious joys of introducing the uninitiated into an open plan environment.  I recommend a temporary, but rapid and marked drop in your personal hygiene standards for the duration of the intrusion  ;)

« Reply #3740 on: 15 August, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »
horrible balancing act:

hip pain

or

Codine induced constipation

:-\  :'(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3741 on: 15 August, 2013, 10:57:14 pm »
horrible balancing act:

hip pain

or

Codine induced constipation

:-\  :'(

Add shoulder pain and I hear you!  All opiates suck... 

Hope the hip improves soonest, hip pain is rubbish *scowls at own hip*

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3742 on: 16 August, 2013, 08:58:37 am »
My hairdryer has just packed in which means I get to spend the day looking like Woodstock.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3743 on: 16 August, 2013, 02:07:25 pm »
Those nice people at connectright have written to me because they're going to check everyone's sewage connections.
Apparently, the surface water sewer should get only surface water. (Fair enough but I've never given the matter any thought.)
Inspecting my drains it seems only the toilets empty into the soil stack. There is no evidence that the bath, kitchen sink or anything else, like washing machine & shower ever drained into the soil stack as they should.

The connectright leaflet suggests this would not cost much to put right and threatens fines of up to £20,000 for misconnection.

My kitchen sink drains into the surface water drain. There's a door + new ramp and half the house between the kitchen sink and the ancient cast iron soil stack.

I do not see this a an inexpensive problem...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3744 on: 16 August, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »
Those nice people at connectright have written to me because they're going to check everyone's sewage connections.
Apparently, the surface water sewer should get only surface water. (Fair enough but I've never given the matter any thought.)
Inspecting my drains it seems only the toilets empty into the soil stack. There is no evidence that the bath, kitchen sink or anything else, like washing machine & shower ever drained into the soil stack as they should.

The connectright leaflet suggests this would not cost much to put right and threatens fines of up to £20,000 for misconnection.

My kitchen sink drains into the surface water drain. There's a door + new ramp and half the house between the kitchen sink and the ancient cast iron soil stack.

Just because your kitchen etc don't connect directly to the soil stack doesn't mean they connect to the surface water drain.  Is there a inspection cover (manhole) in the vicinity of the kitchen and soil stack? Poking around there could reveal more useful info.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3745 on: 16 August, 2013, 04:05:54 pm »
Should there not be plans available somewhere?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3746 on: 16 August, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »
The kitchen sink discharges into the rainwater gulley that drains the patio.
The bath, washing machine, shower and bathroom washbasin drain into the gulley that drains surface water from the side of the house.
These discharges are evident when in use.

There are two manhole covers. I think I know which ones serve what.

« Reply #3747 on: 16 August, 2013, 04:16:07 pm »
Stupid bloody HA.   Your tenant is in hospital and you know he's in hospital.   His rent was up-to-date and you didn't serve any notices or get any orders.   Why have you now claimed abandonment and moved a new tenant in FFS!!!    ???

I was hoping for a quieter weekend... 

« Reply #3748 on: 16 August, 2013, 04:33:09 pm »

As far as I can tell, you just need to write to your water&sewage service provider to tell them that you are aware of the misconnection and that due to there not being a soil drain accessible from the kitchen, correcting those connections would not be financially practicable.

If you don't write and tell them this, they can get radgy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3749 on: 16 August, 2013, 07:54:45 pm »
Stupid bloody HA.   Your tenant is in hospital and you know he's in hospital.   His rent was up-to-date and you didn't serve any notices or get any orders.   Why have you now claimed abandonment and moved a new tenant in FFS!!!    ???

I was hoping for a quieter weekend...

Feck!  Poor tenant and new tenants and WTF!