Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624457 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4975 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:12:01 pm »
Friend, I'll gladly proof-read documents for you.  I have an eye for such work, which is a curse as much as a blessing.

Please pick a formatting style and stick to it!  Use the one we worked out, or use something different, I don't care.  But PLEASE stick to the same style throughout!  If you could manage that it would remove at least 2/3 of the 'corrections' I need to make.

*sigh*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4976 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »
Oh my.

*waits for Alfine 11 version*
Getting there...

« Reply #4977 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:35:48 pm »
Double utter bastards:

The Disc Trucker has competition - seriously, that's a lot of bike for 900 beer tokens even if the logo does look like it was lifted from a Black Sabbath album  ;D

Doesn't seem to come in a 26"-wheeled version, so I reckon the disc Trucker is still the go-to bike.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4978 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:44:06 pm »
Double utter bastards:

The Disc Trucker has competition - seriously, that's a lot of bike for 900 beer tokens even if the logo does look like it was lifted from a Black Sabbath album  ;D

Doesn't seem to come in a 26"-wheeled version, so I reckon the disc Trucker is still the go-to bike.
Granted, the Disc Trucker would be my first choice if I was in the market for a 'proper' touring bike but I reckon that Genesis will shift a fair few of these via the Cycle To Work scheme ...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4979 on: 04 July, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »
Bugger - That's got forks with a graceful bend instead of the jutting out straight things on the CdF. 
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4980 on: 04 July, 2014, 07:27:32 pm »
No downtube stops either. Still a very nice bike for the cash.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #4981 on: 04 July, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »
Double utter bastards:

Oooh, curved forks for disc brakes and front racks. 

No, don't need to make any changes to my Hewitt Cheviot, it's fine the way it is.  :-\

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4982 on: 04 July, 2014, 07:40:54 pm »
No, don't need to make any changes to my Hewitt Cheviot, it's fine the way it is.  :-\
I feel much the same about my 2014 Croix de Fer - if I started adding racks and whatnot I'd be too tempted to carry unnecessary junk with me :) I can't help thinking that this is what the Galaxy might have ended up looking like if Dawes hadn't completely lost the plot a few years ago.

Personally, I like the ride of the stock Croix fork even if the mud clearance is rubbish with 35mm tyres.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4983 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:22:12 pm »
Personally, I like the ride of the stock Croix fork even if the mud clearance is rubbish with 35mm tyres.
I agree about the ride. Its just the aesthetics.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4984 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:34:49 pm »
No fork crown, though, so it's back to Singular

*sigh*
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4985 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:45:17 pm »
No fork crown, though, so it's back to Singular

*sigh*
*cough*Disc Trucker*cough*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4986 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »
Yeah, if you like long heavy frames ;)
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4987 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:00:15 pm »
Yeah, if you like long heavy frames ;)
As the proud owner of a Pugsley, I couldn't possibly comment  :P

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4988 on: 04 July, 2014, 10:55:00 pm »
Don't like the colour but like the idea if it is a 700 or 29 its what I would like my galaxy to be but how to get front disk and rear rim brake

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4989 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:16:19 pm »
Don't like the colour but like the idea if it is a 700 or 29 its what I would like my galaxy to be but how to get front disk and rear rim brake
It probably involves throwing large numbers of pictures of Liz The Second at a tame framebuilder.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4990 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:27:59 pm »
It probably involves throwing large numbers of pictures of Liz The Second at a tame framebuilder.

Forks with disk brake mounts, rear disc mounts will need frame alternation, but can you get brake levers that will do both so I can run rim brakes at the back and disk at the front.  Or is that just sillyness, should I just use it as is.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #4991 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:33:28 pm »
I feel much the same about my 2014 Croix de Fer - if I started adding racks and whatnot I'd be too tempted to carry unnecessary junk with me :) I can't help thinking that this is what the Galaxy might have ended up looking like if Dawes hadn't completely lost the plot a few years ago.

I wanted dics brakes on my Cheviot SE (built up to touring), so  ended up with PS2 forks (standard forks have bosses for racks and rim brakes).  There is a slight temptation,  but atm have other priorities.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4992 on: 05 July, 2014, 07:51:10 am »
Genesis, you utter bastards: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/01/07/14/2015-bike-launch-longitude

(too late to cancel the order for the El Mariachi ...)

Bastards!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4993 on: 05 July, 2014, 08:39:22 am »
Toothache, bah!  It's not so much the pain, which is manageable, as having one cheek swollen up so I look like half a hamster. :(
Getting there...

essexian

« Reply #4994 on: 06 July, 2014, 01:56:56 pm »
Day 2 of not being able to hear much out of my right ear. I have been having problems with it over the last week and despite using one of those ear wax removal liquids, it still hasn’t returned to normal. I would guess my hearing is down to about 20% on that side. My left side (always my stronger ear if you can have such a thing) seems now to be coming out in sympathy as my hearing is down to about 80% on that side today. Sigh.

So anyway, the reason this is a grumble is that after going to see the Chemist today to see if they could do anything, but no, I will have to go and see my Doctor which means at least a four day wait for an appointment if history is anything to go by. By then, I have no idea what I will be able to hear which is irritating as it’s my turn to listen into phone calls at work this week.... which is always fun!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4995 on: 06 July, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »
Toothache, bah!  It's not so much the pain, which is manageable, as having one cheek swollen up so I look like half a hamster. :(
Which half?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4996 on: 06 July, 2014, 09:55:59 pm »
Which half?
;D
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4997 on: 07 July, 2014, 12:25:16 pm »
My bloody coffee machine turns itself off after $UNSPECIFIED_PERIOD.  Subsequently reheated brown drink tastes not dissimilar to how I should imagine the flavour of boiled piss >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4998 on: 07 July, 2014, 08:03:11 pm »
Bloody hell.  My first time in the Country Girl for two and a half weeks.  I was really looking forward to a Butty Bach whilst on the train up this afternoon.
So I'm greeted with, "Sorry Basil, the Butty Bach is off."  This can mean one of two things, neither of which are good. This time it meant "We haven't ordered enough and have run out"  AGAIN!

Never mind a brewery, this lot can't even organise a piss up in a pub.
Amateurs!

Sulk.  I'm going to be forced to return to work tomorrow with a clear head.  That's not going to be good.  I'll prolly be alert enough to realise how crap and meaningless my job is.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4999 on: 07 July, 2014, 08:22:06 pm »
Genesis, you utter bastards: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/01/07/14/2015-bike-launch-longitude

(too late to cancel the order for the El Mariachi ...)

Bastards!
I'm consoling myself with the fact that the El Mariachi is both orange and paid for.

Since Genesis didn't bother to answer the questions about the frame that I emailed them1, it's pretty much ruled itself out as a potential n+1. Pity.

1 - this is a potential grumble in and of itself, but since I work in IT I'm fully aware that spammers, scammers and other sump gunk of the interblag have rendered the usefulness of email as a communications medium to something on a par with the usefulness of a trombone to a hedgehog.