Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624577 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5250 on: 19 September, 2014, 04:03:50 pm »
www.alpkit.com  -  In the summer please consider having sleeping bags in stock when people might want to buy them

Parcel companies - unless you put a card through my door telling me that you have attempted to deliver I will not know that you have been.  My extra sensory perception skills are non-existant.  Yodel not to blame this time!

www.fieldandtrek.com  -  please dont ask for kit reviews unless you are also willing to publish the negative ones

www.karrimor.com  -  if you are going to sell t-shirts made from "technical" fabrics, please make sure that you use a fabric that isn't shredded by male velcro the moment it touches it, as it is likely that technical fabric wearing people will have velcro on other items that they are wearing.

www.fieldandtrek.com  -  when you send me a sleeping bag by mail order I expect you to have removed the security tags so that I don't have to walk around the retailers in town trying to get them to remove it.  It is still on there and I am not going to the hassle of sending it back as I know that you will probably tell me that you no longer have any stock of the bag that I have bought.

On the good news front - the submarine blocking the u bend has now sailed and should appear on Brighton beach within the next two weeks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5251 on: 20 September, 2014, 06:02:36 am »
My ickle travel kettle has stopped working >:(  Such things had better be available from Wol-Mart, or there'll be trouble.

Edit: There'll be trouble.  The exact same model, but 33 USD.  Reduced from 53 :o

I paid eight quid for mine in Sainsbury's...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5252 on: 20 September, 2014, 09:57:32 am »
Go to Target. Much cheaper than Asda West.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5253 on: 20 September, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »
Go to Target. Much cheaper than Asda West.

(Googles)

Drat!  And double drat!

Investigation suggests that the nearest Target in the direction I'm going is in El Paso, which is a day's drive away and likely to be under a couple of feet of water by the time I get there.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5254 on: 20 September, 2014, 06:40:19 pm »
Ah! Not ideal.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5255 on: 21 September, 2014, 03:35:10 am »
I'm a sight closer to El Paso now and likely to be even closer tomorrow.  In the meantime I am improvising with the Brown Drink maker :P

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5256 on: 21 September, 2014, 08:41:16 am »
No outdoors huntin' shootin' fishin' type stores that might have one of they elements on a cable type thing?

ETA like so: http://www.rei.com/item/781694/rei-immersion-heater-120240
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5257 on: 21 September, 2014, 10:26:24 am »
ohhh REI that is is like all the UK outdoor shops combined and then added a bucket of steroids. Co-op, membership, cash back, discounts and a return policy that make the customer blush. I don't think we ever managed to walk out of one with empty bags.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5258 on: 22 September, 2014, 12:26:26 am »
Target had some very nice kettles for twenty dollars but I don't want a 1.7 litre one that I'll have to abandon at the end of the week.  Emily the SatNav has never heard of REI and WiFi connectivity was not available in a car park in El Paso this arvo. I only have to improvise until Thursday night so it's probably not worth the effort to find one.

Edit: Nearest REI to current location: Albuquerque.  230 miles away :(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5259 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:15:12 am »
No outdoors huntin' shootin' fishin' type stores that might have one of they elements on a cable type thing?

ETA like so: http://www.rei.com/item/781694/rei-immersion-heater-120240

Like the ones in Bamberg pubs for warming old geezers' beer?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5260 on: 22 September, 2014, 11:58:58 am »
Leaf blowers. They do what they say and then a bit more.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5261 on: 23 September, 2014, 10:26:20 am »
Feel like cakk cos my middle ear is full of gunk...  It's day 2 of Fresher's Week, I'm so not deserving the lurgy (Fresher's Flu) just yet. I've only SEEN one student in person.

« Reply #5262 on: 25 September, 2014, 10:04:56 am »
I drove into work this morning. I have left my locker keys at home. This means that instead of going for a run in the nice weather at lunchtime I have to go back home to get them.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5263 on: 25 September, 2014, 10:30:04 am »
Thanks very much to our three-legged cat, who decided to launch/scramble onto my lap last night after I was finished with my rant to BT, and about to send, when she trod all over the keyboard!!!

Then spilt water (for the peas) over the hob and floor.

Then a Shepherd Neame 1698 beer exploded upwards after uncapping it in the kitchen. I'll clean the window properly at the weekend!!

Grrrrrrrr and double grrrrrrrrrr!!!!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5264 on: 25 September, 2014, 11:41:56 am »
Dear Cow-orker Why is it that, desipte being an intelligent nuclear scientist, when it comes to IT, you are unable to even collect the most basic of information about the fault you want me to try and solve?

Maybe telling me what model router and TV, and what exact error messages you are getting would make it possible to help you work out why they don't connect. Oh, and please stop wittering on about plugging USB sticks into things. You are overcomplicating what should be relatively simple.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5265 on: 25 September, 2014, 11:54:52 am »
www.alpkit.com  -  In the summer please consider having sleeping bags in stock when people might want to buy them
You owe me a new keyboard - I've just snorted coffee all over mine.

Alpkit? Have things in stock? Surely ye jest ...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5266 on: 26 September, 2014, 12:10:43 am »
Spontaneous unexplained failure of one of my front teeth (LR1 for those keeping score).  I wasn't even eating anything at the time!  Presumably I'd done something to weaken it recently.  (And before anyone asks, I tend to use wire strippers these days).

It isn't down to the pulp, which is good news, but what's left is tongue-snaggingly sharp and perilously thin, so one proper bite could make things much worse.

Will be phoning the dentist in the morning.   :(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5267 on: 26 September, 2014, 04:02:16 am »
Dear the Best Western Rambler hotel, 457 U.S. 85, Walsenburg, CO 81089, USAnia

Plz to be not having your connection to teh Intarwebs suddenly drop out for thirty seconds while my cursor is poised over the clicky-thing to start the on-line check-in process for my flight back to Civilisation tomorrow.

kthxbai

P.S. after which heart-stopping moment I find I have a seat smack at the front of the cattle class cabin anyway so no need to mortgage my soul in exchange for extra legroom.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #5268 on: 26 September, 2014, 08:29:30 am »
Trod in cat poo while gathering the washing in from the garden yesterday evening. Nice.  >:(
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #5269 on: 26 September, 2014, 08:40:33 am »
Spontaneous unexplained failure of one of my front teeth (LR1 for those keeping score).  I wasn't even eating anything at the time!  Presumably I'd done something to weaken it recently.  (And before anyone asks, I tend to use wire strippers these days).

It isn't down to the pulp, which is good news, but what's left is tongue-snaggingly sharp and perilously thin, so one proper bite could make things much worse.

Emergency Suguru application ?    (I've got a dental repair kit in the bathroom cabinet.......)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5270 on: 26 September, 2014, 08:42:19 am »

Emergency Suguru application ?    (I've got a dental repair kit in the bathroom cabinet.......)

Better than teethgrinder and his screwdriver. "Is it safe?"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5271 on: 26 September, 2014, 12:28:34 pm »
I'm bound to run out of dentist karma at some point, but evidently not today.

Phoned them at 9:30 this morning, and they said they could squeeze me in at 12.  It just needed a quick bit of grinding down, fortunately, which was "the most work I've done all morning".  Seems that everyone else had not turned up.

Got a bit of a headache now, though.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5272 on: 29 September, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »
Where in the name of all things bluddy, is my AVO meter?  It's in this house somewhere.  There is no reason I can imagine where I could have taken it somewhere else.
It's got to the point now where I'm looking in underpant drawers, ffs. 
I wish I had a garage, 'cos I'd look in there.

Oh god!  I bet that's where it is.  It's in my garage that I haven't got!  Shit - wrong universe.
At the end of a whole family weekend we've just had for my mom's 90th, my brother came into the room saying, "I must give you this back", and handed me a familiar case.

Apparently, I " lent" it to him over two years ago.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5273 on: 29 September, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »
Congratulations on being reunited with your AVO, but you appear to be suffering from exposure to Americans.

Go and drink some warm beer or something...   ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5274 on: 29 September, 2014, 04:05:15 pm »
And we've done the "it's not actually a real AVO".  Just something that I picked upup in a previous life from RS as it has a big feck off amp clamp on the top which was useful to see how we were loading each phase.

The american thing?  Am I doing poor spelling again?  Or something else?  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.