Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624175 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5700 on: 23 December, 2014, 01:57:34 pm »
I think my On One merino socks might have shrunk a bit, they're slightly less hilariously too big than they used to be (as I was on the cusp of the two sizes, and they were wool, I went for the larger size).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5701 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:41:27 pm »
Sick of all these arseholes on transpondian fora who can't say Christmas any more but wish each other a Happy Solstice, Yule, Chanukah, god knows what else anything but Christmas.  I don't give a shit for religion but all this pussyfooting around actually mentioning the prevalent Western jollification of the season gives me the pip. It's Christmas, bloody hell, so say it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5702 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »
Has Kawanzaa fallen out of fashion?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5703 on: 23 December, 2014, 09:48:18 pm »
Sick of all these arseholes on transpondian fora who can't say Christmas any more but wish each other a Happy Solstice, Yule, Chanukah, god knows what else anything but Christmas.  I don't give a shit for religion but all this pussyfooting around actually mentioning the prevalent Western jollification of the season gives me the pip. It's Christmas, bloody hell, so say it.
It's not my christmas. I am quite happy celebrating the Solstice, but not the hijacked version of christmas forced upon us.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5704 on: 23 December, 2014, 10:23:04 pm »
Exactly.
Getting there...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5705 on: 24 December, 2014, 08:34:57 am »
I'll plant my flag alongside T42's.  Regardless of what actual religion (or none) that you espouse, the thing that is currently about to be celebrated, is Christmas, a Christian festival with assorted bits of ancient paganism and other dross thrown in. By all means celebrate something else of your choice, but this one is Christmas, not "Solstice", or "holidays". By all means, if you are non-Christian, just use it as an excuse for a bit of merriment (like my Hindu and Muslim friends do) but don't try to rename it.
Wombat

ian

« Reply #5706 on: 24 December, 2014, 10:42:00 am »
Festivus!

But I'm with with Christmas. It's hardly a religious holiday anymore. Eat, drink, be merry, rue the less than delicate aroma of fermented brussel sprouts the day after.

Kawanzaa is still going, but made up holidays need the fulsome support of Hallmark. It's all a racist conspiracy. Probably.

Hanukkah is a real thing. There's a special candle.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5707 on: 24 December, 2014, 11:46:25 am »
I finally decided to put the tree up last night, and found out the new lights didn't come with the required (and supposedly supplied) transformer. I don't have any compatible transformers to sub in (them wiring the lights onto a male jack rather than a female one doesn't help) and God only knows where the receipt has run away to.

Hmm, dark tree or brave the Christmas Eve Shopping Frenzy? :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5708 on: 24 December, 2014, 11:57:06 am »
I've got some spare lights you can have? Just pop round  ;)
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5709 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:01:00 pm »
;D
Actually I'll be passing not far from you this evening - Unfortunately I'll be in rather a hurry though dashing between Midnight Masses :(

« Reply #5710 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:02:36 pm »
But I'm with with Christmas. It's hardly a religious holiday anymore. Eat, drink, be merry, rue the less than delicate aroma of fermented brussel sprouts the day after.

More like the Roman festival of Saturnalia, then.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5711 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:14:00 pm »
Bahfuckinghumbug and poo to santa elves and houses that look like the spacshipe at the end of CE3K.  Also wrapping presents which causes the loss of an armful of blood.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #5712 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:24:44 pm »

Toga!

« Reply #5713 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:59:29 pm »

Toga!

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5714 on: 24 December, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »
Self: When going knackered straight from work to go shopping in the midst of the post-Solstice throng; check that you have your wallet with you before filling your trolley and depositing the goods on the checkout conveyor!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5715 on: 24 December, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »
Have just untangled three sets of lights all diligently knotted together last February. Little voice in hindbrain chanting "scissors!"

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! ;D

Ain't that what they shouted when they dived on Pearl Harbour?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Si_Co

« Reply #5716 on: 26 December, 2014, 08:32:59 am »
Three different doses of lurgy in 4 days, its like a plague house here, god I'm knackered  :(

« Reply #5717 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
Three different doses of lurgy in 4 days, its like a plague house here, god I'm knackered  :(

Hope you are feeling better soon, be selfish and keep it to yourself :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5718 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:51:49 am »
Peter May, we know that your "Enzo Files" series of crime novels are set in France.  However there is no need whatsoever to pepper the text with italicised French words for which there exist perfectly cromulent English equivalents.  Pourquoi terrasse or séjour when "terrace" and "living room" will do instead?

It's poncey is what it is.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5719 on: 26 December, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »
Arsebiscuits. The snow has arrived in Liverpool & I'm stuck in the parentals house without transport. Can't ask my 81 year old Dad to give me a lift back in this :-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5720 on: 26 December, 2014, 07:12:36 pm »
Thought they had Boris bikes in Liverpool  :demon:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5721 on: 26 December, 2014, 07:19:13 pm »
Thought they had Boris bikes in Liverpool  :demon:

Hire bikes are not designed for Luggage.
Most people who visit parents for Christmas have some baggage.

« Reply #5722 on: 26 December, 2014, 08:18:56 pm »
And my parents live in Knowsley, a different council area.
No hire bikes here, I've walked home in the past a few times though. Not tonight I think.  :-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5723 on: 26 December, 2014, 08:45:49 pm »
If only there was someone you could call and they'd turn up with a car and drive you somewhere for an unreasonable fee...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5724 on: 26 December, 2014, 09:38:51 pm »
A wisdom tooth is trying to break through and has been for the last day. I'm being reminded why teething toddlers can get so grumpy.