Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624418 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6275 on: 12 April, 2015, 10:21:01 am »
At least they bothered to send you a message. My recent experience of Freecycle and the like has been that people just don't show up, never to be heard from again. I've given up trying to offer stuff. ::-)
This.
Freecycle is a great idea, but it would appear that a large number of users in the York area are of a particularly bellendulous persuasion. I created a 'blacklist' of people who repeatedly offered to take stuff but then didn't bother showing up - it got to the point where I just couldn't be bothered any more.

That, and the Freecycle website is complete and utter shite.

« Reply #6276 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:56:40 am »
In the end I gave both chairs to the first bloke who showed up, as I couldn't be sure the other punter would turn up.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6277 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:21:09 pm »
I am fortunate that punters in Brent Freecycle who have wanted my Stuffs have been punctual and friendly.
Individual people are individuals...

« Reply #6278 on: 12 April, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »
We've had mixed results with Freecycle/Freegle.   Some turn up and are appreciative, some ask for everything (car booters perhaps?) and some start fine but go off quickly.   One chap even got back after a week asking if we could deliver for him even though the ad clearly said 'collect only'.

We like to see stuff reused rather than going to landfill so we carry on regardless. 

« Reply #6279 on: 12 April, 2015, 01:00:22 pm »
Homebase: I like the look of your soapdish, which is why I bought it. However, the screws supplied are made of cheese and had stupidly shallow cross heads so I had to improvise. And the dish itself didn't have drain holes and is rather small.

Homeoftat more like.

« Reply #6280 on: 12 April, 2015, 01:47:20 pm »
Sadly I bought it in the shop, not online, so I don't seem to be able to review it on their website.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6281 on: 12 April, 2015, 06:13:45 pm »
My grumble is that I have no energy. I could really do with some energy. Next week is busy. Plus, I'd quite like to ride my bike.

« Reply #6282 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:12:01 pm »
Something odd has happened to twitter on my Nexus 7.  I can only see stuff from peeps wot I follow. (Which ain't a lot of peeps)
I can no longer see random stuff or search for stuff.
Boo!
I can't help it. When I see "Nexus 7" I think of a Shimano hub gear, & so I wondered what it has to do with twitter.

Well, it's a cycling forum . . .
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6283 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:30:24 pm »
Snot, again. Feel like crap. Braindead. Middle ear full of crud. Drugs not helping much. Nearly didn't make it into work on Friday. Am hoping it fucks off soon cos bored.

« Reply #6284 on: 13 April, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »
Yesterday, I had a tickle in my throat. Today, I have a streaming, shivering, headachy, sore throat & swollen neck-creating, wobbly when I stand up too suddenly, virus-like something.

Bugger!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6285 on: 13 April, 2015, 07:49:24 pm »
And now a nasty shoulder spazz which hurts when I breathe #FuckOffBody

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6286 on: 13 April, 2015, 07:59:09 pm »
Something odd has happened to twitter on my Nexus 7.  I can only see stuff from peeps wot I follow. (Which ain't a lot of peeps)
I can no longer see random stuff or search for stuff.
Boo!
I can't help it. When I see "Nexus 7" I think of a Shimano hub gear, & so I wondered what it has to do with twitter.

Well, it's a cycling forum . . .
Me too
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6287 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »
Work is sending me to deepest yellow fever Africa at the earliest opportunity, so a couple of arms of vaccinations later, I'm looking forward to feeling like crap when I meet my folks this weekend after a year on opposite sides of the world.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6288 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:43:31 pm »
Yellow yap is feverly fun :) NOT!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6289 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:48:41 pm »
T'was the malaria tabs at brekkie that used to make me feel off.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6290 on: 13 April, 2015, 09:09:05 pm »
Something easing me off my feed can only help my PBP-targeted weight loss. Hopefully I won't be over there long enough to miss my qualifiers.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6291 on: 13 April, 2015, 09:47:59 pm »
I give up on this pub quiz.
Round one was "Current Affairs".  7 questions were related to TV.  And that doesn't include the Richie Benaud question.  It will be the same if there is a Geography round or a history round.

Bah humbug.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6292 on: 14 April, 2015, 09:38:53 am »
Something easing me off my feed can only help my PBP-targeted weight loss. Hopefully I won't be over there long enough to miss my qualifiers.

Where is deepest Africa, I would love to go back one day. Enjoy whatever you do

ian

« Reply #6293 on: 14 April, 2015, 09:51:09 am »
Work is sending me to deepest yellow fever Africa at the earliest opportunity, so a couple of arms of vaccinations later, I'm looking forward to feeling like crap when I meet my folks this weekend after a year on opposite sides of the world.

The other year, because I'd not been anywhere with exotic diseases for a while and I had a trip to sub-Saharan Africa in the offing, I just said 'what the hell, travel clinic nurse, give me the full works.' 'Are you sure?' says she.

Ouch. Hopefully I'm all jabbed up for this year's trip.

For malaria, I've always taken Malarone (and copious G&Ts, just in case) without ill-effect.

« Reply #6294 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:12:43 am »
Well, that was a fun evening & night. After my last post I rapidly felt more & more wobbly & started shivering uncontrollably, so went to bed. When Mrs B came home from work she took my temperature - 40.8C - then phoned 111, who said the standard "rest, keep warm, drink plenty", what circumstances to call again (or even 999) & to call my GP in the morning.

Temperature's down 3 degrees now, shivering's stopped, headache, earache, sore throat, painful sinuses (complete with ache in back teeth, now gone), tight throat & tender neck all still present but eased, & coughing fits reduced. Still feel washed out, though: weak, wobbly, & now occasionally coughing up unpleasant-coloured muck. Spoken to GP who said to come in later. Complicated by the bashed bones in my face, I think.

Again, bugger! It's a lovely day & there are things I want to do.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6295 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:17:46 am »
Not overly far from the Ivory Coast.

Further grumble - this morning I found out that my hurry rush jabs last night now won't actually be needed for a month. Hopefully my PBP qualifiers won't be affected.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6296 on: 14 April, 2015, 01:26:44 pm »
I find caffeine gives me enough of a rush.

My grumble: a month ago I was scrambling to get figures to the accountant so that he could get our company's balance sheet ready for the tax vultures, the limit having been brought forward from 1st May to 15th April. Haven't heard anything since do I phoned him just now: "Oh, they put it back to the beginning of May because they had too much to handle in the time."

So how about if I decide to put it back to 15th May?  10% automatic penalty, that's what.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6297 on: 14 April, 2015, 04:05:17 pm »
Not overly far from the Ivory Coast.

Further grumble - this morning I found out that my hurry rush jabs last night now won't actually be needed for a month. Hopefully my PBP qualifiers won't be affected.

Moons ago a co-worker whom really DID NOT like little sharp prickly things was told "you need to jab up for somewhere jungley" (in India or Bangladesh I thing I can remember). X stabs later he was told, hang about we got the dates wrong. So he had repeat most jabs again which he wasn't too keen on. You should have seen his face when he learnt that he had to jab himself everyday and then needed boosters later when it became known that the contract/stay was extended.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6298 on: 14 April, 2015, 04:31:20 pm »
Why am I so crap at knowing where things are at the moment?

I am so bad that I had to make a list, at the weekend.

The list contained 5 things, 3 I was sort of wondering where they were, but not too bothered (low value items), but 2 which I am really annoyed about that I can't find them.

The 3 low value things I have found (FWIW they were a Baabaa hat, a glasses case and cleaning cloth and a small camera pouch which had a 4G card in it).

Can I find the other 2? Can I heck! So I am now faced with the fact that I can't find the Leatherman Crater I had, last that I can remember, 2 weeks ago, and a Ortlieb backroller plus that I can't remember when I last had it!  The former is quite easy to lose, as it is quite small, but how on earth do you lose a BRIGHT YELLOW pannier?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6299 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:38:25 am »
Welcome to getting a bit older, wotsyourname.

PS, check in the daffodil bed for the ortleib, they get drawn to other yellow objects.
<i>Marmite slave</i>