Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624342 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6500 on: 26 June, 2015, 08:44:54 am »
Dear cow-orker - please to not be clipping your nails in the office. Save it for the privacy of your mown living room.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6501 on: 26 June, 2015, 01:57:27 pm »
My plan to recce the route to tomorrow's appointment on the Towpath Bike has been thwarted by my left foot being so swollen than I cannot get me cycling shoes on ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6502 on: 29 June, 2015, 11:38:49 am »
Self: when cutting a brake cable outer to length, first remove the inner cable. Tosser.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6503 on: 29 June, 2015, 12:42:56 pm »
Self: when cutting a brake cable outer to length, first remove the inner cable. Tosser.

BTDTGTTS  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6504 on: 29 June, 2015, 12:49:59 pm »
Pick up 'universal' inner. Check type of nipple on bike. Find that nipple on cable. Carefully cut wrong end off.

Anyone apart from me done that? Hands up, anyone?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6505 on: 29 June, 2015, 12:52:13 pm »
*waves hands in the air*

We've all done it, eventually. Both cutting the inner while cutting the outer and cutting off the wrong end. Tiredness usually encourages my stupidity.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6506 on: 29 June, 2015, 02:37:50 pm »
Yep.  Not for a long while, but I have done it a few times.

Pick up 'universal' inner. Check type of nipple on bike. Find that nipple on cable. Carefully cut wrong end off.

Anyone apart from me done that? Hands up, anyone?
*hand up, sheepishly* :-[
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6507 on: 29 June, 2015, 03:46:09 pm »
Dear cow-orker - please to not be clipping your nails in the office. Save it for the privacy of your mown living room.

I do like that M
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6508 on: 29 June, 2015, 04:24:57 pm »
One good thing that came from my stupidity was that it creates a lovely clean cut on the outer cable instead of that bit that snags on the inner sometimes. What I shall do in future when cutting outers is to have a short bit of inner to insert prior to cutting.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6509 on: 29 June, 2015, 04:28:50 pm »
I've heard that before as a tip, but completely forgotten.  Thanks for rediscovering :thumbsup:
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6510 on: 29 June, 2015, 04:36:02 pm »
I do that by sorting the outer length first and cutting into the excess inner cable (make sure you pull it back a fair way first so you really are in the excess)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6511 on: 29 June, 2015, 04:59:10 pm »
One good thing that came from my stupidity was that it creates a lovely clean cut on the outer cable instead of that bit that snags on the inner sometimes. What I shall do in future when cutting outers is to have a short bit of inner to insert prior to cutting.

:thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6512 on: 30 June, 2015, 08:18:26 am »
The nights are drawing in. Bleh.

« Reply #6513 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:00:24 am »
My cheap headphones have broken, halfway through Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6514 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:07:55 am »

A long practised method of mine is to retain inner cable offcuts for use when cutting housing.   It ensures that you get a much cleaner cut of the housing and don't have to faff flaring out the end again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6515 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:08:50 pm »

A long practised method of mine is to retain inner cable offcuts for use when cutting housing.   It ensures that you get a much cleaner cut of the housing and don't have to faff flaring out the end again.

+1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6516 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:09:50 pm »
Midge bites.  And horsefly bites.  It turns out I'm covered in the fuckers, and they're all itching like a wossname.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6517 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »
*waves hands in the air*

We've all done it, eventually. Both cutting the inner while cutting the outer and cutting off the wrong end. Tiredness usually encourages my stupidity.

Cutting the inner whilst cutting the outer is not such a bad idea, as long as you colocate the intended cut sites. The presence of the inner helps to prevent deformation of the outer.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6518 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:45:31 pm »
Another tip is to do the rear cable first if you are changing both. Ifyou accidentally cut the inner, it should still be long enough for the front cable.

« Reply #6519 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:01:31 pm »

Keep up at the back...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6520 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:09:10 pm »
  • Children of 14 in France are allowed to ride motorbikes of under 50cc.
  • Schools have broken up for the summer.
  • It's a warm day so all the windows are open.
The noisy little bastards have been hammering round the village since mid-morning and will likely go on until after midnight. And there's one little swine who comes home at 4 am.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6521 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:13:33 pm »
Lovely weather for a bike ride this evening, I have a road bike parked downstairs outside my office. My eyes are now already itching and watering because of hayfever. Argh. :(

I'd bet if the guy who 'has' to have his windows open in our air-conditioned, open plan office would actually shut them (it's warmer outside the windows than in), then I wouldn't be in this position >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6522 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:33:02 pm »
I spent 6 weeks of a Californian summer driving round with a similar colleague in a rental with plastic-covered seats.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6523 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:36:20 pm »
I shut them just now when he went for a coffee. He hasn't noticed yet.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6524 on: 30 June, 2015, 03:38:22 pm »
I spent 6 weeks of a Californian summer driving round with a similar colleague in a rental with plastic-covered seats.
The mention of plastic seats brings back the pain of sweaty legs in shorts sticking to the vinyl seats of my grandfather's Austin Allegro. Detestable vehicle that was!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.