Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624235 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12025 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:18:22 pm »
Curiously, our bin collectors seem to be more reliable in the covid era than before.

What's striking is that our recycling collections have been running like clockwork.  It's just the non-recycleable waste that gets neglected.
Odd. Might just reflect one unit being badly hit by covid (whether actual disease or self-isolation)?

The recycling guys are great at leaving the bins on the narrow pavement though rather than putting them back onto the lawn  :facepalm:
Annoying but understandable. It's tough work and I'm quite impressed they'll even collect from the lawn (pretty sure they wouldn't here).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12026 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:26:21 pm »
Curiously, our bin collectors seem to be more reliable in the covid era than before.

What's striking is that our recycling collections have been running like clockwork.  It's just the non-recycleable waste that gets neglected.

Interesting. Our recycling collections were cancelled for about 6 weeks (our bin was rammed full by the time they restarted) while non recycleable continued as normal. I could have done with it being the other way around. Now they have started a reduced service where the recycling gets collected monthly rather than twice weekly.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12027 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:30:53 pm »
It's happened before during the the infamous bin strikes.  I suspect it comes down to the recycling workload being more predictable, or at least better resourced.  Once the general waste starts piling up somewhere, it all goes to pot.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12028 on: 01 May, 2020, 05:48:18 pm »
Our recycling collectors (waste and recycling both collected by the same council-owned firm) introduced a new system of big blue bags for cardboard at the beginning of March, due to the increase in volume of cardboard from home deliveries. Great. Except that they no longer take any cardboard which doesn't fit in the bags and people aren't that good at folding or cutting it up.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12029 on: 01 May, 2020, 06:24:46 pm »
Quote from: Basil
I meant the jet fighter that buzzed our house so low we didn't hear him coming.  So loud that the air was crackling.
When I was a very much younger, and considerably less grumpy, Lurker we used to get Canberras, F4s, Jaguars and Tornadoes at nought feet over our house as they practiced low* level flying quite often 3 or 4 in quick (well, yes they were fast jets) succession.  I rather miss it.

*An ex US Marine Corps A-10 pilot of my acquaintance regarded the RAF pilots as certifiable. He said (and I paraphrase), "We were authorised to fly down to 300 feet, and we used to very make sure we didn't go below this to avoid hitting the RAF planes who'd frequently be flying at 100 feet."

It has been said that when the USAnians get below 500' they lower the landing gear but if BRITONS venture above that altitude they get vertigo and have to descend immediately.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12030 on: 01 May, 2020, 06:30:04 pm »

Odd. Might just reflect one unit being badly hit by covid (whether actual disease or self-isolation)?

The recycling guys are great at leaving the bins on the narrow pavement though rather than putting them back onto the lawn  :facepalm:
Annoying but understandable. It's tough work and I'm quite impressed they'll even collect from the lawn (pretty sure they wouldn't here).

We're told to put it at the edge of the property :shrug: I mean I get it when there are steps or gates or fences  but in this case it's a flat foot difference to leave the pavement clear for prams and wheelchairs.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #12031 on: 01 May, 2020, 07:01:14 pm »
I meant the jet fighter that buzzed our house so low we didn't hear him coming.  So loud that the air was crackling.
When I was a very much younger, and considerably less grumpy, Lurker we used to get Canberras, F4s, Jaguars and Tornadoes at nought feet over our house as they practiced low* level flying quite often 3 or 4 in quick (well, yes they were fast jets) succession.  I rather miss it.

*An ex US Marine Corps A-10 pilot of my acquaintance regarded the RAF pilots as certifiable. He said (and I paraphrase), "We were authorised to fly down to 300 feet, and we used to very make sure we didn't go below this to avoid hitting the RAF planes who'd frequently be flying at 100 feet."

It has been said that when the USAnians get below 500' they lower the landing gear but if BRITONS venture above that altitude they get vertigo and have to descend immediately.

Can you hear that?

It's the laughter of veteran Lightning pilots (look up the story of Mike Hale intercepting a U-2 at an altitude the Septics had previously thought was safe). ;D

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12032 on: 01 May, 2020, 08:02:16 pm »
yebbut a Lightning was more a case of two effing huge engines with a bloke strapped to them than a plane. 

I remember one occaision when I was uni, on the rugby training pitch.  There was a valley leading up over the hill on which the Uni sat, up which was flying a herc at below treetop height.  Burley rugby players near shat themselves as I watched on with awe.  My best ever air experience flight was low-level in a herc where I got to throw something out the back on the instructions of the loadmaster
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12033 on: 01 May, 2020, 08:04:24 pm »
Quote from: spesh
...the A-10's only ever been operated by the USAF. The USMC were flying A/V-8 Harriers and F/A-18 Hornets during the late Cold War period.
Will check with him, probably still abed ATM.  I daresay he won't be amused that I thought he was USMC.  :)
Checked.  Yes, he was USAF not USMC.  Yes, I am blushing at having posted him to the USMC.  Oh and he and his bods were also cleared down  to 100', but as said before he preferred to keep out of the way of the RAF. He still thinks they were nuts.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

fuzzy

« Reply #12034 on: 01 May, 2020, 11:03:04 pm »

Can you hear that?

It's the laughter of veteran Lightning pilots (look up the story of Mike Hale intercepting a U-2 at an altitude the Septics had previously thought was safe). ;D
I'm guessing Mike Hale could navigate?
I was crewed for a while when doing protection work at Chequers, with an ex RAF fast jet pilot.He was removed from Lightnings because, in his words, his navigation was suspect. On more than one occasion, when scrambled to intercept Bears or some other stinking Soviet intruder, he barely made it back cos it took him a bit longer than some to find the airfield. He was nicknamed 'Bingo'1 by his peers.
1As in radioing air traffic control for immediate landing clearance as he was 'Bingo fuel' or nearly out of juice.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12035 on: 02 May, 2020, 09:23:19 am »
Time to write letter cancelling an unwanted insurance contract: 10 minutes
Time to wade through Laposte.fr's website, create an account and buy a registered-mail sticker: 1 hour (at least).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12036 on: 07 May, 2020, 07:31:11 pm »
Great. Locked down and we get a power cut.  Hope it gets sorted before it gets too dark to read.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12037 on: 09 May, 2020, 11:16:32 am »
From a different thread...
The complete* works of Bad Religion
Now that I've got Banshee working properly, it's much easier to play through my collection.  I will confess I miss using iTunes on my old PC.

* all 17 albums I own.

Bugger.  Banshee can't make it through an entire album before crashing.  No warning, no error message. Tried other albums/artists, same thing. >:(
Suppose this could qualify as a FWP, too.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12038 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:52:29 pm »
So, garden centres are to be allowed to reopen. Why not libraries, even if you have to reserve online and collect, as opposed to browsing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12039 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:25:42 pm »
So, garden centres are to be allowed to reopen. Why not libraries, even if you have to reserve online and collect, as opposed to browsing.

Maybe it's a class thing?

Gardening usually involves at least as much stuff going to the tip as coming from the garden centre, in my experience.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12040 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:34:16 pm »

You appear to be thinking of a library as the place we went to as children to borrow books, not their main function as a place for poor people to attempt to access internet-only services and/or somewhere safe to go after school.

The books are the easy bit.

Besides which, library employees have likely been seconded to keep more essential council services running.

« Reply #12041 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:07:58 pm »

You appear to be thinking of a library as the place we went to as children to borrow books, not their main function as a place for poor people to attempt to access internet-only services and/or somewhere safe to go after school.

The books are the easy bit.

Besides which, library employees have likely been seconded to keep more essential council services running.

No, I really didn’t. But our local library has 2-3 terminals so I’d guess one could - and should - be used. I don’t think they should have been shut at all. Most (non main county) library staff in Herts are part timers so unlikely to be redeployed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12042 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:56:18 am »
Our van hasn't been used for 2+ months which meant that the battery was dead, so we got MiL to come in her car and I jump started ours, with her staying inside her car.

Easy enough a job, just that the car/van manufacturer haven't made it easy. I spent ages finding none painted, none aluminium and none plastic point, on both cars. Along with our cables being on the big and on the heavy duty side, therefore the grips can't grip easily them little screws that are metallic and touching the frame of the car.

Why not make just one nice and big and easy to place a grip on, sticky out bit that isn't plastic or aluminium either, can't be that hard.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12043 on: 11 May, 2020, 07:17:37 pm »
Welcome to Monday in the office - where little old me, a mere minion, got added to emails, invites and tests that by the time comes down to me is hearsay, chinese whispers and mentioned as a “by the by”.

And is clearly waaaaayyy above my paygrade and not in my ballpark - e.g. I got no clue whatsoever what the issue is and why such a test is needed.

So asking me about x.y.z after said test was done, will result in "I dunno" as an answer, I surely wouldn't have asked cause I don't know about x.y.z or what is what or that it might have been a good idea to confirm with the client that. If only you could be arsed to join the call yourself you would have known to ask that question.

Oh and wouldn't it have been grand to have someone from support and engineering on the call too, especially when the system they take care off fell over last week when the client tried to hook something up to it.

ohh that turned into more of a rant than a grumble, sorry.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12044 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:03:44 pm »
Welcome to Monday in the office - where little old me, a mere minion, got added to emails, invites and tests that by the time comes down to me is hearsay, chinese whispers and mentioned as a “by the by”.

And is clearly waaaaayyy above my paygrade and not in my ballpark - e.g. I got no clue whatsoever what the issue is and why such a test is needed.

So asking me about x.y.z after said test was done, will result in "I dunno" as an answer, I surely wouldn't have asked cause I don't know about x.y.z or what is what or that it might have been a good idea to confirm with the client that. If only you could be arsed to join the call yourself you would have known to ask that question.

Oh and wouldn't it have been grand to have someone from support and engineering on the call too, especially when the system they take care off fell over last week when the client tried to hook something up to it.

ohh that turned into more of a rant than a grumble, sorry.

Don't worry Woolly, I got asked a couple of weeks ago to provide engineering support on site as Ops undertook a flow test. All the production techs have been saying with a flow rate >X the site falls over and stops. OK so today the production manager and I planned to go to >X with all the systems timestamped so we could identify the initiating event. Production manager had to cover the oncall last night and got called out twice, he was on sleepy time so it was just the techs and me. Still alls good the techs have a task that ideally wants the site stopped so lets stop the site by tripping it, I'll gather my data while they do their task and then we'll start up again.
Set flow to X; site runs sweet as a nut
30 minutes later set flow to X+50; site continues as sweet as a nut
30 minutes later "I can't go any higher while equipment A is offline, the final step to coming online will be a good test lets do that" ... Site doesn't bat an eyelid A is now online
1 hour later, "I guess we'll go to X+100 then". Still running sweetly, "Lets do Y and see if it stays up" Y completes fine...
1 hour later, "A bit later OK lets try X+150 and leave it there overnight."  8)

When I finally left site I felt it was probably sensible to tell the central control room that we are producing circa 15% more water from site than they expect and let them monitor and flex as they need to. Tomorrow I get to try to step up further and see if we can push the site to full capacity (X+375) but we will need to warn control about that or we could overflow the reservoirs, which would be bad. I suspect if we get to full capacity then the techs will want to turn down a bit (X+150-200) and their management will want to stay there. It's far easier to treat our own water than buy it from the neighbouring water company through the established bulk transfer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12045 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:11:44 pm »
That has all the setups for a classic engineering disaster.

I bet the second shift are scratching their heads at strange readings as we speak, and you'll arrive tomorrow just in time for the water, erm, meltdown :)

« Reply #12046 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:16:17 pm »
That has all the setups for a classic engineering disaster.

I bet the second shift are scratching their heads at strange readings as we speak, and you'll arrive tomorrow just in time for the water, erm, meltdown :)

Nope, the night shift is unmanned and the on call man has been briefed and has instructions for what to do if he gets called out. I'm hoping he doesn't, but if he does he knows what data I am going to be looking for and can happily revert to X-50.  :smug:

Also prior to about 2017 the site regularly ran at X+150 and was previously tested up to 107% of full capacity. What we can't work out is what has changed since, though that has just given me an idea.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12047 on: 13 May, 2020, 12:53:07 am »
In other water-related engineering disasters news... our kettle has developed an earth fault.

I was about to go to bed when I was bombarded with alarming messages from smokeping, while barakta appeared sheepishly at the door with a torch.

Hopefully it will have dried out by morning, otherwise TEA production may be affected.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12048 on: 13 May, 2020, 04:58:27 am »
Don't panic...camping equipment to make tea...

« Reply #12049 on: 13 May, 2020, 07:36:49 am »
Our kettle developed an hole a few weeks ago but luckily it plugged itself with limescale long enough to sort out getting a new kettle delivered.

It was long overdue, the switch had required a knack for a good year which meant that whenever my friend David visited he couldn't make tea without our help.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1