Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624427 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13700 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:32:43 pm »
or a camera on the weighing scales that automatically identified your sweet potato as a banana.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13701 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:37:41 pm »
Or that you could start typing in "sweet potato" and it would find it. Or best of all, have a "I've got a weird vegetable, dunno what it is" button.

This is what I've had to be doing for some time now.   Selecting "salad" instead of "root vegetable" is significantly quicker than the search option.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13702 on: 06 September, 2021, 06:45:19 pm »
or a camera on the weighing scales that automatically identified your sweet potato as a banana.
Yes!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13703 on: 06 September, 2021, 07:44:35 pm »
This is bound to be sold to the Home Office as facial recognition technology.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13704 on: 06 September, 2021, 07:51:14 pm »

Only the top quality ones.  The lower quality will be sold to the water treatment plants as faecal recognition technology. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13705 on: 06 September, 2021, 08:07:50 pm »

Only the top quality ones.  The lower quality will be sold to the water treatment plants as faecal recognition technology.
Free men or not, we will all be numbers (on the Bristol stool chart).

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13706 on: 06 September, 2021, 08:33:25 pm »
Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
..."I've got a weird vegetable, dunno what it is" button.
Nigel Farage?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13707 on: 06 September, 2021, 08:46:46 pm »
Saturday: order new docking station from HP. Says delivery by Weds.
Sunday: text from PorcelFarce tells me my parcel will be delivered Monday
Monday: tracking on PF website says "advised not received"
Numpties

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13708 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:35:25 am »
Well after some more dismemberment I have ascertained that I can't just put a new mortice latch in cos that's an old size too and the wrong shape (i.e. it's not a tubular latch) so the next best option may be to attempt to file the hole in the latch so it will accept a modern 8mm spindle. I guess eventually GAMI to fit new doors and handles will occur but there are too many other priorities like a shed, and a less crap shower and a less crap cooker.

Anyhoo, today some new Superglue arrived (the previous tube was welded closed) so the short term solution is gluing the knob into the fitting.
A photie of the aforementioned naff knob.
2021-09-03_04-26-01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Ooh!  A diamante butt plug...  how posh!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13709 on: 07 September, 2021, 08:15:06 am »

There has to be a process for finding new cabinet members.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13710 on: 07 September, 2021, 09:28:52 am »

They float to the top...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13711 on: 07 September, 2021, 10:52:55 am »

They float to the top...
Not to be confused with rising to the top.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13712 on: 07 September, 2021, 04:57:47 pm »
We decided to pop up to Aberaeron for brunch this morning because weather.  I was aware that the ToB Aberaeron/Llandudno leg was today but figured they'd be long gone by the time we rocked up.
Wrong.  It seems that all the (surprisingly elderly) spectators had watched the (in my experience thoroughly uninteresting start) and then decided that it would be a good idea to stop for lunch on the coast.
Bugger.

Also. Why have you all put a bike on your roof rack?  You're obviously not going to ride it.  Is it some sort of badge?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13713 on: 07 September, 2021, 05:18:39 pm »
We decided to pop up to Aberaeron for brunch this morning because weather.  I was aware that the ToB Aberaeron/Llandudno leg was today but figured they'd be long gone by the time we rocked up.
Wrong.  It seems that all the (surprisingly elderly) spectators had watched the (in my experience thoroughly uninteresting start) and then decided that it would be a good idea to stop for lunch on the coast.
Bugger.

Also. Why have you all put a bike on your roof rack?  You're obviously not going to ride it.  Is it some sort of badge?

Blimey.  The Aberaeron/Llandudno stage is not until tomorrow.  Good God, they're gathering early.   I blame that Geraint Thomas.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13714 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:03:53 pm »
Well after some more dismemberment I have ascertained that I can't just put a new mortice latch in cos that's an old size too and the wrong shape (i.e. it's not a tubular latch) so the next best option may be to attempt to file the hole in the latch so it will accept a modern 8mm spindle. I guess eventually GAMI to fit new doors and handles will occur but there are too many other priorities like a shed, and a less crap shower and a less crap cooker.

Anyhoo, today some new Superglue arrived (the previous tube was welded closed) so the short term solution is gluing the knob into the fitting.
A photie of the aforementioned naff knob.
2021-09-03_04-26-01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Ooh!  A diamante butt plug...  how posh!

Well, I tried ordering a 7mm spindle and some 7 to 8mm shims, but the spindle hasn't arrived yet and the current spindle is obv 7.xmm as the shims wouldn't fit on it.
So as the superfluid superglued (bloody autocarrot) knob had already fallen off again I took the lever out and filed the hole to make it bigger. Which took a good 15 to 20 mins in this heat.
Anyway, eventually success.
I'm going to wait and see how the 7mm spindle works with the shims cos I don't really want to have to do the filing again.
2021-09-07_06-30-15 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13715 on: 07 September, 2021, 07:05:08 pm »
At least we're in less danger of getting shut out of the kitchen now..

« Reply #13716 on: 08 September, 2021, 07:56:54 am »
I'm staying in Cambridge for work, in an abnb. Good location, short walk to office, and easy to get into town. That's important because I don't have any transport other than 2 blistered feet.

Abnb instructions - open keysafe, remove front door key with room name; oh, no key with my room name. Msg host, let myself in with another key (putting that back in safe).

Get to room. Claims to be a room for 4 - well, there is a double with a single bed above it. I guess one person could sleep on the floor!

Doorhandle falls off.

Toilet flush control is, erm missing. Toilet can be flushed by shoving your finger in a hole in the wall.

Host doesn't respond to messages until later the next day.

FFS.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13717 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:50:53 am »
Be careful nothing soft shoves back at you.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13718 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:53:42 am »
Be careful nothing soft shoves back at you.
Shoving back is only a minor problem compared to something grabbing the aforementioned inserted digit and trying to,pull the rest of you through the hole.  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13719 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:56:51 am »
Oh what a good idea! :thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13720 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:58:31 am »
Yeah . . . the host said she was going to go to B&Q to get a replacement control, it had only  just broken; pull the other one, it is a stupid tile-in cistern with dual flush. The laminated instructions for how to flush had clearly been there for a long time.

Lay in bed on first night - what the heck is under this sheet?  A straw. Rigid reusable drinking straw. Obviously a lot of care taken when remaking the beds. At least it was clean (I bet it was tangled up with bedding and went through the wash).

The location is as convenient as it could be for work and access to town, shops. Not impressed with the 'hosting'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #13721 on: 12 September, 2021, 07:31:46 am »
Yeah . . . the host said she was going to go to B&Q to get a replacement control, it had only  just broken; pull the other one, it is a stupid tile-in cistern with dual flush. The laminated instructions for how to flush had clearly been there for a long time.

Lay in bed on first night - what the heck is under this sheet?  A straw. Rigid reusable drinking straw. Obviously a lot of care taken when remaking the beds. At least it was clean (I bet it was tangled up with bedding and went through the wash).

The location is as convenient as it could be for work and access to town, shops. Not impressed with the 'hosting'.

Are you north or south of the city?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13722 on: 12 September, 2021, 02:59:22 pm »
Chesterton, next to Jesus lock.

Waiting for flight back now.

Don't like crowds at all.

Can understand why glasgow has been covid hotspot. Almost none of the morons on train to Glasgow wore a mask.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #13723 on: 13 September, 2021, 07:47:37 am »
Ah - close to the Science Park then.

Next time you're down let me know and we can meet up for a drink to break the boredom.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13724 on: 13 September, 2021, 08:42:00 am »
Ah - close to the Science Park then.

Next time you're down let me know and we can meet up for a drink to break the boredom.

Miles away from the science park. This is opposite Jesus Green.

I wasn't exactly bored down there; work from 7:30-7ish, go for a jog, eat, collapse into bed. Varied that with meeting people at canoe club and adding a paddle one night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>