Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624497 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15175 on: 25 September, 2022, 04:54:02 pm »
MrsC wanted a hoist putting in the barn for her kayak. Reasonable request. Found a likely hoist for the job on the net, brackets, pulleys, rope, straps for boat. Not overpriced.

Today I tried putting the bloody thing up. First issue - the pulleys are fixed in one position. Orientation of brackets dictated by rafters, so, some creative thinking, I turned pulleys by 90degrees (new holes needed in brackets).

Cool. Put brackets up.

Start threading rope  . . .

Nope that isn't enough rope for a ceiling of X height and we are well above that. By my calculations it needs 25m of rope, about 15 is supplied.

Just spent as much as original cost of pulleys etc on some rope.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15176 on: 25 September, 2022, 04:58:51 pm »
I hate baths.

Baths are good! I miss having one sometimes, though 99% of the time I'm happy with a shower.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15177 on: 25 September, 2022, 05:05:25 pm »
Nope, they're just a faff. Shuffle down one end and lie down to get your hair wet, sit up again to wash it. Repeat twice more for conditioner.  Wave all your appendages about to get soapy, then contort yourself to rinse them again.
Then I found myself using the old people's handrail to get up. The ignominy.
Arse about getting the temperature right, then 2 mins later it's cool.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #15178 on: 25 September, 2022, 05:33:59 pm »
I can't really comment on the potential greatness of baths, because I have never fully enjoyed a bath. Cause all the baths I have tried have been more less like sitting in a tub of water. Heck even DK don't make them long enough. If I had the skills I would love to make one big enough so that I can finally make a comment on the potential greatness of said baths.

As for showers the "invention" of the rain fall showers, well their rise in popularity, have caused more showers to be build where water hit my body from above the shoulders which I greatly enjoy.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15179 on: 25 September, 2022, 05:40:47 pm »
My childhood home had an extra-long bath as the previous occupant had been a tall architect. I was able to float in it until I was 12.
Our current bath is 'standard' and effectively shortened and shallowed by my bath lift.
I can't drown in my bath or even get all my hair underwater.

ian

« Reply #15180 on: 25 September, 2022, 06:55:41 pm »
Getting clean is a mere side-effect of a good bath.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15181 on: 25 September, 2022, 07:19:48 pm »
ian, he speaks the truth.

Book, steaming hotness (water, not book), gin and tonic. Or whisky.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #15182 on: 25 September, 2022, 07:24:31 pm »
Our last house had a 6ft bath and a huge hot water tank to fill it.

I haven't had a bath in over ten years
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #15183 on: 25 September, 2022, 07:24:41 pm »
I ate two chilli and cider pickled eggs on Thursday evening in a fit of neophyte over-enthusiasm, and tbqhwy, in hindsight, it was a mistake.
Which reminds me...

About 40 years ago (it seems like yesterday) I had a long weekend in Dorset with a bunch of Mrs n's Oxford college friends. One of the highlights of the occasion was a pickled egg eating competition in the local pub. The  first one to show an empty gob won. The winner just swallowed it whole. I don't think anyone was more surprised than him.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #15184 on: 25 September, 2022, 07:27:54 pm »
ian, he speaks the truth.

Book, steaming hotness (water, not book), gin and tonic. Or whisky.

....rich fruitcake, tea and a slice of strong Cheddar.

ian

« Reply #15185 on: 25 September, 2022, 07:41:25 pm »
It must be deep and hot (steady there, hosses), plenty of bubbles, a glass of excellent beer or fine vino for hydration purposes, along with a good book and some top tunes.

My wife hates baths but she’s weird and comes from Southend. For me, it’s a Sunday night ritual.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15186 on: 25 September, 2022, 07:44:57 pm »
Our last house had a 6ft bath and a huge hot water tank to fill it.

I haven't had a bath in over ten years

My recollection of the last bath I had must be getting on for 35 years ago.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15187 on: 25 September, 2022, 07:49:40 pm »
Steeping in yer ain filth and emerging with skin like a prune?  Noo.  Not for me.  You can't beat a shower for both cleaning and refreshing you and quickly at that.  The place for relaxing with a book, booze and nibbles is a bed, or, at a pinch, the sofa.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15188 on: 25 September, 2022, 08:16:23 pm »
Nope, they're just a faff. Shuffle down one end and lie down to get your hair wet, sit up again to wash it. Repeat twice more for conditioner.  Wave all your appendages about to get soapy, then contort yourself to rinse them again.
Then I found myself using the old people's handrail to get up. The ignominy.
Arse about getting the temperature right, then 2 mins later it's cool.

This.  Plus, your knees get cold.  And if you're properly dirty (eg. due to COR in shorts)  you end up covered in it.

Showers meanwhile need enough litres/min to not be shivery, and to rinse long hair in a timely manner.  Fixed shower heads are acceptable if and only if they are accompanied by a movable one on a hose:  Sometimes you don't want to get your hair wet.  Sometimes you're using it as a bidet.  Sometimes you're hosing down something other than your body.

« Reply #15189 on: 25 September, 2022, 08:55:35 pm »
Fixed shower heads are acceptable if and only if they are accompanied by a movable one on a hose

Yes! Our main shower has only one fixed head. It's just as well I've not cycled in a very long while, because I have no idea how I could clean a bike in it. The rubbish electric en-suite shower has a hose, but the cubicle is too small to fit more than a wheel in.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15190 on: 25 September, 2022, 09:07:38 pm »
Bought 36 148mm spokes.  The seller slipped ONE 150mm spoke in there!  I thought I'd laced it wrong until I took the bastard out and measured it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15191 on: 25 September, 2022, 10:58:09 pm »
Keep the noise down, you rabble!  I'm off to vegetate in the bath…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15192 on: 26 September, 2022, 07:25:05 am »
We only have two bottom sheets for our bed as two have worn through and haven't had chance to replace yet.

Wife changed our bed as had a friend staying to look after our dog and chickens

She kindly stripped the bed and put on in washing machine. We wouldn't have worried after two nights use, we therefore had to put the sheets my wife had taken off back on and I'm trying to dry everything on top of usual washing and camping clothes. It's just started raining with loads of the line

ian

« Reply #15193 on: 26 September, 2022, 09:51:58 am »
How filthy are you bathshy fools? I routinely get two showers a day, but Sunday is bath night, but I remember my grandparents had one bath a week unless it was a special occasion, and they came from the era where the only available showers were golden and thus ill-advised as part of any daily personal hygiene ritual.

I had the childhood trauma of shared baths, and as the boy child, that meant I was last in line, at which point the water resembled a lukewarm gruel. I know this makes it seem that I come from Victorian times, but it was the 70s (we didn't have a bathroom till I was eight, so we actually had a tin tub). It might have led one to appreciate St Agnes' disavowal of bathing. On the subject of saints, I believe it was St Benedict who opined strongly on the moral dangers of relinquishing one's thoughts while semi-submerged in a bath of warm water, and that such turpitudinous temptations shouldn't be countenanced, especially in the young.

« Reply #15194 on: 26 September, 2022, 09:55:52 am »
I remember being on the Baxters PBP bus in 2007 listening to a wizened old audaxer with prodigious nasal hair droning on about how he wasn't "into all that super-hygiene fad", and only had a bath once a week.

I don't think his weekly bath was supplemented with showers.

« Reply #15195 on: 26 September, 2022, 10:46:56 am »
I love a good soak in the tub but it is a wasteful luxury. I suppose that is what most luxuries are.  🤔

When we installed our bathroom a few years back I made sure that the shower head was on a riser bar that could easily accommodate both my needs and those of mllePB who is a good 6 inches shorter.  Fortunately I am not of Danish proportions so a standard riser rail sufficed   😇

ian

« Reply #15196 on: 26 September, 2022, 11:00:16 am »
For the record, I also have tidy nasal hair.

A dedication to Tidy Hair doesn't stop with the top of the head. It's an all-the-way down commitment.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15197 on: 26 September, 2022, 11:04:21 am »

A dedication to Tidy Hair doesn't stop with the top of the head. It's an all-the-way down commitment.

TMI.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15198 on: 26 September, 2022, 03:48:10 pm »
Our washing machine bearing is in the process of disintegrating.  I finally determined that it's 8 years old, so I suppose that's not unreasonable.  Also means that it's probably not worth spending all day dismantling it to its component parts, replacing the bearing, and putting it back together again, only for everything else to fail in the next couple of years (assuming it doesn't acquire a leak).

Wondering if overspecifying the load capacity of the new machine would prolong bearing life...

Further to this, I've just realised that our washing machine hole is a wierd size, due to idiotic plumbing.  I'm going to have to move the fridge and get the old one out in order to get some accurate measurements, as new idiotic plumbing has been installed since the last one was purchased.

Doesn't leave an awful lot of choice of washing machines.  Are Haier any good, they seem to have some well-specced shallow ones?

« Reply #15199 on: 26 September, 2022, 06:19:59 pm »

TMI.

Picture a naked Toby Young, but with shaved junk