Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624518 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15850 on: 05 February, 2023, 04:16:04 pm »
we use different detergent in different washes
Can be done if you know which buttons to press.
Use autodose for the detergent you use most. Turn it off and use manual when you want to use the alternative.
I'm too lazy!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15851 on: 07 February, 2023, 10:34:47 pm »
Got to have a grumble about project managers and even more, project management systems. PM asks if I can edit a document from a one-hour meeting by 7 o'clock, if they get it to me by 3 o'clock. Sure, no problem. Then sometime later, will it be okay if it doesn't reach me till 5 o'clock? But the meeting only lasted 17 minutes, so the document is quite short. In that case, yes, still no problem.

Five o'clock comes, I download and open the document. Hang on... I saw this yesterday! It's a completely different document! They've uploaded the wrong one. So I send an urgent email to the PM and cc their team, but of course everyone's gone home. I hang around till 7 cos I have other work to do in the meantime, then as the right document still hasn't arrived and no one's even responded to any of my emails, I go out on a hot date. Well, a meal and a chat with a group of sub-yacfoid loons.

Get back about 9.30. Gosh, PM's assistant (based in Chicago, I think) has replied. They've chased the document writer and got the correct document. They haven't found anyone else to look at it. Okay then, I'll do it. It won't take long cos it is short.

When I've done that, I have to upload it to the system. But I can't, because it wants me to leave feedback. Which I normally do but in this case it won't let me, cos it claims "no resource has been assigned" or similar words. So step 2 of the system won't let me officially deliver the document because step 1 hasn't been completed, and step 1 can't be completed because the system won't let me. Nicely circular! Never mind, I've emailed it off and it's not my problem now. (And as to why the meeting only lasted 17 minutes, I think the three people who turned up fell asleep... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15852 on: 08 February, 2023, 10:33:14 am »
we use different detergent in different washes
Can be done if you know which buttons to press.
Use autodose for the detergent you use most. Turn it off and use manual when you want to use the alternative.
I'm too lazy!

My coffee machine works like that.  Doesn't spin dry though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15853 on: 08 February, 2023, 05:17:29 pm »
After yesterday's grumble, it turns out they've decided to pay me extra for that job. Triple the standard rate, in fact, "to compensate for the time and effort you invested in completing the task last night." Which is ironic as although it was annoying, it wasn't at all an effort and the actual job didn't take long.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15854 on: 09 February, 2023, 04:53:34 pm »
Oh FFS!  I just want radio which, on my walking into the room and switching it on, will simply play the station I left it on.
Fuck off with all function buttons and bloody menus.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #15855 on: 09 February, 2023, 05:33:34 pm »
It is for this reason I still have a smallish transistor radio that does not understand DAB or anything else invented after about 1990.  As well as doing this one thing and doing it well it will also run for a loooong time on batteries should it not be plugged into the mains.   Progress? You can keep it. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15856 on: 09 February, 2023, 09:59:18 pm »
It is for this reason I still have a smallish transistor radio that does not understand DAB or anything else invented after about 1990.  As well as doing this one thing and doing it well it will also run for a loooong time on batteries should it not be plugged into the mains.   Progress? You can keep it. :)

I bought 5 or 6 mains/battery radios that did LW/MW/VHF for £10 apiece, from Dixon's when I was a Rich Younger Doctor. I think I still have one unopened in a box. They don't last forever but work fine for a while and aren't mutually out of synch if I have several in different rooms.

They have several advantages over my DAB radio...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15857 on: 10 February, 2023, 02:39:57 pm »
Google seem to have decided to punish those of us1 who use a VPN, by asking us to verify that we are not robots every time we enter a search request. Gits.

1. I assume that they aren’t singling me out.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #15858 on: 10 February, 2023, 02:45:21 pm »
Oh FFS!  I just want radio which, on my walking into the room and switching it on, will simply play the station I left it on.
Fuck off with all function buttons and bloody menus.

My DAB does that, don't known if only works if station was a preset as only listen to 6 music, radio 4 or 5 sports extra.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15859 on: 10 February, 2023, 03:11:19 pm »
Google seem to have decided to punish those of us1 who use a VPN, by asking us to verify that we are not robots every time we enter a search request. Gits.

1. I assume that they aren’t singling me out.

Only does that to me with YouBend vids, search behaves normally.  GCHQ has your number, mate.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15860 on: 11 February, 2023, 08:44:43 pm »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s PS2 talked quite happily to the telly at Christmas.  And now it doesn’t.

Arse!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15861 on: 12 February, 2023, 07:15:06 am »
I would really like to cut my toenails.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15862 on: 12 February, 2023, 10:16:28 am »
How is your knee? I knew from somewhere that you were both currently hors de combat, but it was only after a rummage through posts that I discovered that you’d had a knee replacement.
E (female, 58) had a partial knee replacement in October. It went very well. Tidy little scar. Very painful for the first few weeks but much better now.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #15863 on: 12 February, 2023, 12:06:57 pm »
I would really like to cut my toenails.

That's a one-handed job.

You don't trust Chris to do it left-handed?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #15864 on: 12 February, 2023, 12:12:09 pm »
Can you throw money at the problem, and get a mobile beautician in to give you a pedicure?

« Reply #15865 on: 12 February, 2023, 01:32:22 pm »

Can you throw money at the problem, and get a mobile beautician in to give you a pedicure?
Good idea! I have filed the worst of the left but no chance on the right. I shall investigate.

That's a one-handed job.

Absolutely not.

How is your knee? I knew from somewhere that you were both currently hors de combat, but it was only after a rummage through posts that I discovered that you’d had a knee replacement.
E (female, 58) had a partial knee replacement in October. It went very well. Tidy little scar. Very painful for the first few weeks but much better now.

I'm still in the 'very painful for the first few weeks' stage- tramadol and oramorph. Total replacement (I'm 54) as I was bone on bone and latterly my walking distance was shorter than the work car park. I have physio tomorrow, as you'll remember it's all about the bend. I need enough that I don't have to replace umpteen cranks on all my bikes.

« Reply #15866 on: 12 February, 2023, 01:59:03 pm »
I didn't know this, L.  All the very best.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15867 on: 12 February, 2023, 02:44:45 pm »
Barakta had me cut her toenails last year in similar circumstances.  I was at least able-handed, but her weird mutant toenails meant that my prior experience of trimming my own and those of assorted reluctant pets was of little use.  I managed not to draw blood, and didn't get bitten, which I count as a success, even if she thought the job half-arsed.

Get A Professional Foot-Fetishist[1] In, I say...

[1] I can think of no other sane reason for pursuing a career in other people's feet.

Paul

« Reply #15868 on: 12 February, 2023, 11:08:00 pm »

Good idea! I have filed the worst of the left but no chance on the right. I shall investigate.

That's a one-handed job.

Absolutely not.

I'm still in the 'very painful for the first few weeks' stage- tramadol and oramorph. Total replacement (I'm 54) as I was bone on bone and latterly my walking distance was shorter than the work car park. I have physio tomorrow, as you'll remember it's all about the bend. I need enough that I don't have to replace umpteen cranks on all my bikes.

It’s an amazing thing, I think, knee replacement. Good luck with the physio.

Paul

« Reply #15869 on: 12 February, 2023, 11:10:50 pm »
Barakta had me cut her toenails last year in similar circumstances.  I was at least able-handed, but her weird mutant toenails meant that my prior experience of trimming my own and those of assorted reluctant pets was of little use.  I managed not to draw blood, and didn't get bitten, which I count as a success, even if she thought the job half-arsed.

Get A Professional Foot-Fetishist[1] In, I say...

[1] I can think of no other sane reason for pursuing a career in other people's feet.
I did my brother’s a few times when he was unable to. It took me a little while to work out that it was much better to file them.

« Reply #15870 on: 13 February, 2023, 06:56:30 am »
I just read a brief description of knee replacement surgery.

Good grief.

I'm amazed that the joint has enough stability (afterwards) to function.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15871 on: 13 February, 2023, 11:20:03 am »
This is probably not the thread to talk about the demise of my B-in-L who died due to botched knee replacement surgery. So I won’t mention it. Mind you, it was his comorbidities that were poorly managed rather than the actual knee surgery.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #15872 on: 13 February, 2023, 11:50:18 am »
I'm immune to such comments.
It's an incredibly common operation meaning the surgical team are very experienced and the pathway to successful rehabilitation clear and well tested.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15873 on: 13 February, 2023, 02:20:34 pm »
I beleive that, in my B-in-L case, it was that very familiarity of the surgeon that caused the issue and his early demise.

He completely failed to fully read the pre op notes by another surgeon and continued in his accustomed fashion. He used a tourniquet, as I believe is normal practices, when the other surgeon had ruled out the use of one due to comorbitities.

Last I heard about the case was my S-in-L was reluctantly suing the hospital. She’s a doctor herself and felt that surgeons are just humans, but she was encouraged to sue, by the hospital itself I believe, because they reckoned it was the on.y way the failed procedures would be reviewed properly.

« Reply #15874 on: 13 February, 2023, 03:51:38 pm »
Due to starting to run again I've dug out my old mp3 player. Need to add some more music. Except my laptop doesn't have a CD drive so can't. May have to bring to work and do it from my work computer

Oh and another grumble about stuff packed in plastic normally being cheaper. I use refill shops and get that they're independent businesses so ate often a bit more expensive but we have a refillable compost bag. To refill was £11.99 and think bag was £2 to start with. You'd be looking about £7 quid for a pre packed bag

At least this time I filled it so packed in hard to get as much as possible