Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624569 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17175 on: 08 February, 2024, 08:14:10 am »
Moar information required.  Don't leave us in suspenders.....

Now that it's cool and I'm clearing up, I can see it was one of the 4(!) glass panels that shattered (I'm sure my last oven had 2...). The cats were terrified, especially the one who was sitting very nearby at the kitchen table when it happened.

I have no idea what caused it - it had been on but was off at the time so shouldn't have been hugely hot. It appears to happen often enough that the manufacturer has a page about it.

Fortunately, replacement panels seem easy enough to get hold of. I just need to figure out which of the 4 to order. ::-)

« Reply #17176 on: 08 February, 2024, 10:35:56 am »
Moar information required.  Don't leave us in suspenders.....

Now that it's cool and I'm clearing up, I can see it was one of the 4(!) glass panels that shattered (I'm sure my last oven had 2...). The cats were terrified, especially the one who was sitting very nearby at the kitchen table when it happened.

I have no idea what caused it - it had been on but was off at the time so shouldn't have been hugely hot. It appears to happen often enough that the manufacturer has a page about it.

Fortunately, replacement panels seem easy enough to get hold of. I just need to figure out which of the 4 to order. ::-)

Wherein it says "Avoid knocks on the door especially on the sides of the pains" Not sure whether this is in the right thread.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17177 on: 09 February, 2024, 06:19:01 pm »
I got asked to verify the identity of one of my scout leaders so she could apply for a passport.  I'm not one of the "recognised professions" on the Official List but looking into it, the .gov.uk website says

be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
So if I'm of good standing, whatever that is, it should be fine. I then got an email from the passport service with a link to follow so that I could do all the identjty verification on line, as jf we're in the future.

Follow the link. Am I in one of these recognised professions? No option for being "of good standing", so I clicked yes anyway. If I get banged up or she doesn't get her passport I shall be a Bit Annoyed.

Add to the that I had to confirm my email address. The first  box was prefilled and had a capital letter at the start. I typed the confirmation in all in lower case. Computer said they didn't match. Which technically they didn't but they do in email address terms.
Oh yes, another thing.I had to enter the name of my employer, which includes some brackets, to which the .gov computer said no.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17178 on: 12 February, 2024, 04:02:00 pm »
That'll be on Schindler's list...

Sch(w)indler’s lifts have been a PITA since before I was a PSO at the (Royal) Hallamshire Hospital in the 1970s...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17179 on: 12 February, 2024, 04:07:15 pm »
Dear TfL,
If you decide to close your Oyster website for maintenance over a weekend, please do not attempt to take payment from my credit card, fail, and send me Threatening Emails.

Dear Dr VECHT,

We automatically topped up your Oyster card (number *****) with £20.00 pay as you go credit on 08 February 2024. However, we were unable to take payment from your credit or debit card.

Please pay this outstanding charge within three working days otherwise your Oyster card may be stopped.

If you use pay as you go on Oyster, consider using contactless instead.

You're charged adult-rate pay as you go fares, but won't need to top up or worry about running out of credit and you could benefit from weekly (Monday to Sunday) as well as daily capping.

Find out more at tfl.gov.uk/contactless.

Yours sincerely,

My credit card is fine.
Your Threatening Emails stressed me without good reason.

Timestamped 0324 10 February 2024, when website was inaccessible.

I am Not Impressed.

« Reply #17180 on: 13 February, 2024, 10:00:25 am »
ebay: You can't sell your Victorinox multitool on ebay because we consider it to be a "knife".
Also ebay: axes are fine.

Judging by the cost of a new one, it's probably worth over £100.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #17181 on: 13 February, 2024, 10:09:36 am »
ebay: You can't sell your Victorinox multitool on ebay because we consider it to be a "knife".
Also ebay: axes are fine.

Judging by the cost of a new one, it's probably worth over £100.

Weird. You can buy edged things on ebay. Chisels, axes, gouges, sickles; all good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17182 on: 13 February, 2024, 10:10:54 am »
You've probably got parliament to blame for that, not Ebay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17183 on: 13 February, 2024, 10:15:34 am »

Yes. Googling indicates that anything with a blade that is lockable or over 3 inches in length is now considered an illegal weapon unless you can prove you have a need for it.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

sam

« Reply #17184 on: 13 February, 2024, 10:23:35 am »
Weird. You can buy edged things on ebay. Chisels, axes, gouges, sickles; all good.

Chisels, axes, gouges, sickles, all less likely to be hidden on a person. Merely an observation; I have no axes to grind here.

« Reply #17185 on: 13 February, 2024, 11:11:41 am »

Yes. Googling indicates that anything with a blade that is lockable or over 3 inches in length is now considered an illegal weapon unless you can prove you have a need for it.

Please don't use this phrasing, even police officers get it wrong. It is oft repeated and is nonsense.

It is not an 'illegal weapon'.

The restriction is on carry in a public place unless you have a reasonable excuse.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17186 on: 14 February, 2024, 03:16:03 pm »
The bathroom waste pipe has finally blocked (3m long with virtually no fall). Thankfully 1) The loo still works and b) My wifes tame plumber (she used to teach his kids) can get out tday or tomorrow.  So only one flannel bath in the kitchen to endure.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

sam

« Reply #17187 on: 14 February, 2024, 04:43:49 pm »
Follow-up to "I'm Such a Fecking Div":

Keen not to have to go through the annoyance of returning an item I don't need, I stick the following sign on our front door this morning, just in case I miss the driver:

I then spend part of the morning camped out in the kitchen and/or the side of the living room that faces the driveway so I don't miss the driver.

At one point I turn away from the window, talking to my wife for a few minutes, when suddenly I hear the thunk of a package through the mail slot. Looking out the window again, I see that I missed the driver, who's headed towards his van.

I then race out and tell him why I need to refuse the package, as suggested by Amazon themselves. Fortunately he's a friendly bloke and understands, saying he'll inform his supervisor; meanwhile I'm in receipt of an email saying the package has been delivered.

Fingers crossed this doesn't turn into a thing.

« Reply #17188 on: 14 February, 2024, 08:25:45 pm »

Fingers crossed this doesn't turn into a thing.

You know it's going to turn into a thing

I have 3 identical vacuum cleaners because the first one delivered was the wrong one. Attempts to return it generated a new one being sent out, after one had already been sent out. Further attempts to return the extra one resulted in a new one (or 2) being automatically sent out by the depot (delivered to my shed) until I gave up on sending them back.

sam

« Reply #17189 on: 14 February, 2024, 10:14:00 pm »
Looks to be a happy ending, after a rocky start. You know how it goes. There was no "I was a fecking div" option in the menu.

Fortunately I got through to a human who understood the situation and aided me. Hallelujah. Next stop: vacuum cleaners. With a messy bunny in the house we could use a few inadvertent spares.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17190 on: 15 February, 2024, 07:31:19 pm »
That advert on the tv for Pot Noodle where people make noises like an unblocked drain eating them is More Than a Bit Annoying.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17191 on: 15 February, 2024, 09:05:52 pm »
That advert on the tv for Pot Noodle where people make noises like an unblocked drain eating them is More Than a Bit Annoying.

Not seen that one, but I'm reasonably certain that Pot Noodle adverts are *supposed* to be annoying.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17192 on: 15 February, 2024, 10:02:43 pm »

Not seen that one, but I'm reasonably certain that Pot Noodle adverts are *supposed* to be annoying.
I suspect I have misophonic tendencies. That and the Pot Noodles look absolutely gopping.

« Reply #17193 on: 16 February, 2024, 09:55:02 am »

I suspect I have misophonic tendencies. That and the Pot Noodles look absolutely gopping.

If you ever visit Japan, do not enter any noodle restaurant; it's considered compulsorily polite to make as much noise as possible when slurping.

« Reply #17194 on: 16 February, 2024, 10:21:26 am »

If you ever visit Japan, do not enter any noodle restaurant; it's considered compulsorily polite to make as much noise as possible when slurping.
Is it possible to eat noodles with chopsticks without slurping?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17195 on: 16 February, 2024, 10:54:25 am »

If you're eating ramen the slurp is necessary to cool the broth.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17196 on: 16 February, 2024, 11:07:13 am »

Is it possible to eat noodles with chopsticks without slurping?

Yes, as my Japanese colleague demonstrated when picking the last half noodle out of his otherwise empty bowl.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #17197 on: 19 February, 2024, 02:06:26 pm »
Builders didn't come Saturday, but they said they would, so I parked in the road all of Friday night and Saturday, so they could get their large van on my drive...

Today, to avoid peeving the neighbours with my car being in the road, when the skip lorry turned up to remove the skip, I was out of the way (a few miles away). What could go wrong with them removing the skip while I was elsewhere??? Neighbour's block paved driveway now needs relaying due to some crap reversing on the skip lorry driver's part. Skip lorry driver denies damaging the neighbour's drive and says the builder's vans must have done it.

Tosser.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17198 on: 19 February, 2024, 09:09:31 pm »
Bugger.
Out of chocolate error.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17199 on: 19 February, 2024, 10:54:35 pm »
In similar vein, I neglected to buy more Brown Drink today and can only hope that there’s enough left to last until I have to go out on an unrelated mission on Thursday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime