Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144392 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1750 on: 18 July, 2021, 04:09:52 am »
Just about to do the pre run stretches.  It's unbelievably warm.

« Reply #1751 on: 18 July, 2021, 06:38:24 am »
12k done.  Wow, that was warm.

On a more sombre note:  during the first and second lockdowns I would see ambulances at various points clearly dealing with sick people.  Without realising it these instances had dropped off and I hadn't seen one for weeks.  This week they have started reappearing again and today I saw four separate ambulances.  I'm hoping that this is an exceptional day.  😒

« Reply #1752 on: 18 July, 2021, 09:26:31 am »
Good luck Steve.  Hope that you get a run in.
Well, we were both awake before seven, so agreed I'd go for my run before breakfast. MrsC, who is on a walking regime at the moment, would wait for the washing machine to finish, put the washing out, then go for her walk.
It was warm. No, it was hot. And I was slow. But I did get out there and that's another 5k+ under the belt. I'm going to need to run before breakfast tomorrow and Wednesday as well, looking at the forecast.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1753 on: 18 July, 2021, 09:50:55 am »
Well done Sir.   :thumbsup: 

My alarm rudely awakened me at 03:45 and I was out of the door by 04:30.  Walked to my start point which took 12 minutes. 

There was absolutely no breeze and by 6k I could reach around my back and wring the sweat from my running top.  I was surprised that I managed the full 12k but extremely pleased that I did.  Freshly picked raspberries with porridge and coffee and I am now in the process of baking baguettes for later in the day.  My fan is already working hard to keep the air moving around me and the forecast says 30oC for mid to late afternoon.   Nice if you enjoy that sort of thing.

« Reply #1754 on: 20 July, 2021, 07:58:21 am »
A poor night's sleep and a slight knee niggle persuaded me to give it a miss this morning.  I will just resume the schedule on Thursday.  Hopefully the forecast is correct and we will be closer to the end of this stifling heatwave.

« Reply #1755 on: 22 July, 2021, 08:18:12 am »
Lovely early morning amble along the disused railway on my low hr session.  I paused in the Garden of Remembrance at Rugby crematorium to soak in the sunrise washing over Northamptonshire and into Warwickshire. 

Great way to begin the day.  👍

« Reply #1756 on: 23 July, 2021, 06:56:34 am »
It felt like hard work today.  The ToJ is also giving me even more mixed messages than usual.

Coffee ready and porridge warming. 

« Reply #1757 on: 27 July, 2021, 09:10:48 am »
I beat the downpour this morning literally by about 3 minutes.   It was fortuitous serendipity rather than good planning but regardless, I got my run in before the heavens opened.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1758 on: 27 July, 2021, 12:02:45 pm »
I am in Berlin on Holiday and did a run yesterday.

It took my total distance to a pleasingly-rounded 500km.

Today is 1 year since I started C25k.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1759 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:43:20 pm »
Excellent and well done.   Now for the next 500km ...   🙂

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1760 on: 27 July, 2021, 10:00:38 pm »
Sprinting on wet concrete and my foot hit the join between two slabs: that's slippery! Pleased to find that I'm back to being able to run 5km without a break. Hope to get it up to 8 again.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1761 on: 31 July, 2021, 07:17:45 am »
Another day, another 8k!

That's now four out of the last five months where I have topped 100km for the month.  I had a slight blip at the end of June but we're over the line again today. 

Interestingly, I seem to be running negative splits on most runs now which I take as a sign that I have my pacing under control and my fitness has improved allowing me to hold or even increase pace mid run.  I certainly notice how much more alive I am after my runs as oppose to often retreating back to bed for an hour as part of my recovery only a year or so ago.

Steady but positive progress.  I'm a happy bear.  😊

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1762 on: 04 August, 2021, 11:44:47 am »
Question to the floor:

What do you lot use to slow down?

Context: When I was young, I did no long-distance running at all. I rode bikes, and swam, but all my other sports were ball sports which involved short sprints and stops and turns, such as netball. As an adult I mostly have done cycling and martial arts, and not much of the latter in the last 10 years or so. Since the oncology team advised me to return to impact sports to help maintain bone density I've found that I can run 5k, but mostly in sections.  I run far too fast and top out at about 176 on the heart monitor, then have to walk until it's dropped a bit.  Despite the C25K run/walk process getting me going, I know I have to slow down, as 6:30 per km is way too fast to be sustainable, and yet whenever I zone out, that's the pace I drift up to.

So, do I just keep going until 6:30 is sustainable, or do I employ some suitably paced music*, or what?

* I don't actually run with music, as there's a bit too much A58 between me and the park!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1763 on: 04 August, 2021, 11:58:42 am »
Even when I ran, I couldn't run slowly, I would jog then walk. My fastest 5k was just over 30 minutes and included walking, where as I see people here running slower without any walking.

I'd say keep going till 6:30 is sustainable. It's not *that* fast.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1764 on: 04 August, 2021, 01:57:43 pm »
I don’t walk at all in my 5k but average 35-37 minutes. My stride isn’t very wide I guess, but my cadence is reasonable.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1765 on: 04 August, 2021, 03:35:13 pm »
I consider pacing to be the most difficult bit about running.   What I have found is that whilst progressing through C25K I had a sub 6:30 running pace and bagged myself a 5k best of 29:04.   Since I have stretched beyond 5k and I don't Jeff (walk) very often at all my average has slowed slightly to around 6:45.

I have used my hrm to help me by setting an upper limit below zone 4.  When it bleeps I ease off to a trot.  Over time I have found that I can go longer at that trot albeit slower than my tempo pace.  I also now do a low hr session once a week for an 8k run.  I have yet to manage 8k in 1 hour on this run but I see it as a long term target.   I can do 9k in 1 hour with a bit of a push on regular runs but I don't see that as necessary.

I have been doing the low hr runs and the max hr runs for a few months now and have found that I can now do negative splits, that is, I can run the second half of my session quicker (albeit by seconds generally) than the first half.  I take this as a measure of my fitness.

« Reply #1766 on: 04 August, 2021, 08:17:47 pm »

So, do I just keep going until 6:30 is sustainable, or do I employ some suitably paced music*, or what?

When I first started running, I had the same problem. The only speed I had was a speed I could only sustain for 10 min. Eventually, I progressed to a point that I could do that (slow) speed for a bit longer. And one day I discovered that the speed I was running at was faster than it used to be. At that point, I could consciously drop the pace if I wanted to do more than 30-40 minutes.

I'm still a bit one-speed to be honest. I have a standard middle distance pace that I can slow down (usually by running with someone else who happens to run slower) or speed up if I'm racing.

« Reply #1767 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:04:53 am »
Went out for my low hr run this morning.  My first 1k was slightly slower than usual but I managed to keep my pace more or less consistent over the entire 8k.  I never hit my max hr setting so didn't need to walk whilst my hr dropped.

In contrast I have my intervals session tomorrow morning.  The difference in average pace will be at least 90 seconds per km.   I am always well and truly fubar'd after the intervals session.   

« Reply #1768 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:35:42 am »
Persistent rainfall kept me indoors this morning.  It's sort of OK as I need to readjust my running days to fit in better with mllePB's demands upon my time.  The adjusted schedule begins tomorrow ...

Off to walk a dog with short legs with my youngest son.  Hoping for a dry couple of hours now.

« Reply #1769 on: 09 August, 2021, 10:38:03 am »
I did my 10k run on Saturday morning but felt a bit off colour.  Later in the day I was definitely under the weather and began to worry about my visit the previous day to youngest son.   Felt much better yesterday and ...

... I rose early for an 8k which was surprisingly at the quicker end of my range and I am still feeling good 4 hours after finishing.   Strange how the body can fluctuate.

I'm contemplating a weekly update from now on otherwise I'll be the primary poster in this thread.  Unless of course you chaps show a bit more enthusiasm ...  😉

« Reply #1770 on: 09 August, 2021, 10:19:47 pm »
I haven't run since the 30th of June! Mostly due to work and all the associated commuting but I have decided not to go to the office tomorrow so I'm hoping to squeeze in a restart run. Will probably just do 2.5-3k thobut.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1771 on: 10 August, 2021, 11:50:05 am »
I got out!

And a hundred metres down the road the sun came out full blast and there I am with no suncream on  :facepalm:

Did a full km warmup walk when I usually do less than a half. Then 2.5k steady jog followed by just over a km cool down walk. I did feel like I could have carried on as my lungs and leg muscles were feeling fine but I had the feeling my shins and joint would have harsh words for me tomorrow. So I erred on the side of caution.

Had a good stretch when I got in and a big glass of Ribena.  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1772 on: 10 August, 2021, 12:45:59 pm »
Following my achilles, I then sprained the same ankle rather more severely than I first thought.  I tried returning to running but found that the slightly altered biomechanics were giving me much more of an inner heel strike which caused significant heel pain.

So I ran once on holiday and found it so painful I stopped completely.  I wondered if it was die to the Hoka's heel-toe drop so bought some zero drop which are better.  I have also done a lot more strengthening exercise as I found that mid foot strength to get up on my tiptoes was reduced.

Things seem to be improving so I hope to run again in September.

« Reply #1773 on: 12 August, 2021, 09:54:49 pm »
I had my first run in ages at the weekend (a not particularly fast 5km). I should do that more often. I think I need an event (or something) to aim at, otherwise it just gets put off because of all the other stuff to do. I'm currently eyeing up a night run in November.

« Reply #1774 on: 14 August, 2021, 07:42:22 am »
My last two weeks have been close to identical.  I have only managed three runs per week and a total of 26km per week but I have managed to maintain the effort and keep the body ticking over.  Two 8k runs during the week, one a low hr session and a 10k this morning.

My week should have an intervals session the day following my low hr run but I have managed to skip that recently.  😔   I shall endeavour to put that fourth session back in next week and see how I cope.