Author Topic: Adopting a stray cat  (Read 5754 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Adopting a stray cat
« Reply #25 on: 16 August, 2020, 09:12:31 pm »
Let him out for a week.  He came back for two meals.  Neighbour bagged him again.

He is definitely changing now.  Urine no longer smells tomcatty, he's putting on weight, he's just started purring and he is happy to be picked up and cuddled a bit.  There are two cats inside his head: the stray tomcat and the domestic cat.  As the testosterone wears off, the domestic cat should win.

My eldest daughter is besotted with him, and he with her.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #26 on: 15 September, 2020, 02:59:17 pm »
He's free again, and...he barely goes out!  Looks as if the hormones have finally gone.  Apart from the silly wide tomcat face (which, sadly, will disappear eventually), he is much like any other domestic cat now. To prove this is his home, he chases other cats away if they come in the garden.  Except Lord Tigs, of course, whom he worships.

Looks as if the key thing is waiting 6-8 weeks after neutering.  There was a step change around 5 weeks, when he suddenly became affectionate and was easy to pick up and cuddle.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 15 September, 2020, 05:26:13 pm »
That's good :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #28 on: 31 October, 2020, 11:57:23 am »
He loves the wood-burning stove.  Still goes over to see his old cat friends but always comes back.  Sleeps in my room at night, usually against me.  He snores.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 31 October, 2020, 05:39:36 pm »
Soft bugger :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.