Author Topic: SPD Sandals on 'bents  (Read 3159 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
SPD Sandals on 'bents
« on: 03 June, 2022, 05:15:45 pm »
Any users here? I'm thinking of buying a pair for my gravelly summer tour, but also using on the recumbent of course.  I was wondering whether they would be sufficiently stiff soled for recumbency?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: SPD Sandals on 'bents
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2022, 05:18:47 pm »
The current Shimano SPD sandals are exceedingly floppy, unlike previous Shimano models. HK has a set of Exustar sandals which are more closed in than she prefers but are stiff enough.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2022, 05:35:32 pm »
Any users here? I'm thinking of buying a pair for my gravelly summer tour, but also using on the recumbent of course.  I was wondering whether they would be sufficiently stiff soled for recumbency?

Yes and Yes. don't forget the suncream tho!  You don't stand on the pedals on a bent, so don't have to support your weight.  But , having said that, I happilly honk uphill on my upwrong, or race/bimble along on my Streetmachine.

ElyDave

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2022, 05:43:30 pm »
The current Shimano SPD sandals are exceedingly floppy, unlike previous Shimano models. HK has a set of Exustar sandals which are more closed in than she prefers but are stiff enough.

Have I misread soemthing soemwhere, I thought the Exustar were now out of production?

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2022, 06:19:22 pm »

Have I misread soemthing soemwhere, I thought the Exustar were now out of production?

I’ve recently switched to the Exustar SS503.  Used them on the Moors and Wolds 400 audax last month.  I’ve changed my SPD pedals to ones with a surrounding cage to give more support. 

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2022, 06:59:57 pm »
I like the more flexible sole of my newer pair of Shimano sandals.
They are more comfortable if you have to kneel down at any time.
But I have the cleats as far back as possible so it makes no difference to my pedalling.

Luck .........  ;D

ElyDave

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2022, 02:34:15 pm »
Seems there is a bit of marmitism going on here "I like floppy" "pish, stiffer the better".  The reviews seem equally split

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2022, 03:35:55 pm »
Currently, I'd view the Shimano SD-5 as the best available sandals.
They aren't as stiff as they should be, but I wouldn't call them actually floppy. I find them OK for medium length rides, but break out the old SD-66 sandals for longer rides, especially if it's going to be hilly and I'd spend a fair while standing.

Recent Exustars (SS502 onwards) are what I call "shoes with holes in" , with 3 wide-ish straps with neoprene filling much of the inter-strap gaps. I'd consequently expect them to soak up more water and stay wet/sweaty for considerably longer.

ElyDave

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2022, 04:31:27 pm »
I ordered the exustars, rationale being the closed toes might offer a bit more protection on the KAW but with better ventilation than current shoes. As it is relatively hilly, ill accept the drawbacks in favour of the extra stiffness.

Maybe I need a pair of each, n+1 must surely apply :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2022, 05:08:54 pm »
I am thinking of cutting away superfluous chunks of a pair of Exustar sandals for HK. I just need to avoid creating any abrasive cut edges.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 04 June, 2022, 05:50:31 pm »
Big fan of Shimano Spd. I use without cleats and flats on the road, and a pair with cleats for racing on the turbo.
The only time I don't use them outside is when road racing. I love them.  If its raining I stick a pair of booties on the feet and strap them over the top. If its cold  2 pairs of socks on. So versatile.
I haven't had noticeable issues with flex and have managed 12 hour rides without issues, unlike with hiking trainers etc.
often lost.

ElyDave

« Reply #12 on: 04 June, 2022, 07:29:07 pm »
with what I rode through today, closed toes were very much a bonus.  There are allegedly footpaths along most of the river banks round here.  Today the path I started along on the MTB disappeared into a forest of waist high nettles and thistles, and later long grass.  My shins were shredded, though I think the first 30 or so nettle stings were the worst.  At one point there was no distinction between shin and nettle rash and 8 hours later my shins are still tingling like mad.

I'll hopefully not be encountering that on the KAW, and I now know one more path that is NOT suitable for the MTB, it took me about 35mins to cover 7km

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2022, 07:41:39 pm »
Not at all bent-specific, not even specifically for cycling, but I'd always prefer some sort of toe enclosure for this reason.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2022, 07:59:17 pm »
Tried them once, sold shoes and pedals to Thing 1 the following week, went back to Carnac/Look.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 04 June, 2022, 09:05:42 pm »
I have a pair of Shimano SD65 squirrelled away for whenever my current SD65s suffer some terminal failure.  I don't like the knobbly sole of Exustars, but toe protection is certainly a plus.  (I kept injuring my big toe on the kickstand of my tourer, so I encased the ferrule in a large lump of Sugru.)

I don't wear sandals if sensible off-roading is involved, because of the nettle/bramble/bits of crud getting stuck under your foot issue.

ElyDave

« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2022, 09:37:14 pm »
Today was very much non-sensible offroading.

ElyDave

« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2022, 07:25:20 pm »
I am thinking of cutting away superfluous chunks of a pair of Exustar sandals for HK. I just need to avoid creating any abrasive cut edges.

Mine arrived today, they're a good fit.

I see what you mean about excess material, I'm tempted to remove much of the neoprene across the top of the foot, very sweaty.

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2022, 09:34:40 pm »

Mine arrived today, they're a good fit.

I see what you mean about excess material, I'm tempted to remove much of the neoprene across the top of the foot, very sweaty.

That’s there to make them comfortable when riding bare foot apparently

ElyDave

« Reply #19 on: 10 June, 2022, 08:17:34 pm »
First ride in them tonight, very comfy.
Only problem was the more floppy upper, which moved when I tried to unclip.  I think I'll need to slacken off the pedal tension.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:27:21 pm »
I had my first "SPD Moment" in Shimano sandals, back in 2001 on my Streetmachine. Uphill start onto a main road, from a B-road junction to the A65 at Ingleton. Oh, How I laughed!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!