Author Topic: guest appearances  (Read 1235 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
guest appearances
« on: 07 February, 2021, 07:03:34 pm »
I was reading in another place about a Van Morrison gig on the '90s at which Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan and several other luminaries popped up unexpectedly, which must have been fun for the attendees (and let's face it, it's been pretty hard to have fun at a VM gig since about 1973), and it set me thinking about the few times I've been at a gig at which another celeb has made an unannounced appearance.

The ones I can recall are:

Ian Broudie on guitar with Deaf School a few years ago.
Jimmy Page rolling up to play with Roy Harper, probably about a decade ago
Chris Difford joining the Jools Holland Big Band for a few old Squeeze songs, around 1998
Phil Collins bashing the toms behind John Martyn back in the 80s
Ralph McTell playing guitar with Fairport Convention in 1979 (!)

All told, not that impressive a collection.  I'm sure some of the regulars here have far better....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: guest appearences
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:14:41 pm »
  • Phil Lynott and Bobby Valentino with Dire Straits, at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park, 1979
  • Jimmy Nail with Gary Moore, Hammy Odeon, c. 1984
  • Lemmy and Wilko Johnson with The Deviants at Dingwalls, c. 1986, but only in the audience
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: guest appearences
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2021, 08:52:24 pm »
Hmmm, Elvis Costello turning up is not always a good thing:  watch the incomparable Vince Gill's face as he listens to EC try to find the tune on this song from the album Almost Blue (1981).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyppu4z8h70

Elvis's intro turned out to be prophetic but it obviously didn't affect the undiscriminating in the comments section!

Re: guest appearances
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2021, 08:59:17 pm »
Chas and Dave (who were the support act) joining Eric Clapton at the Finsbury Rainbow.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2021, 09:18:33 pm »
Harry Dean Stanton with Ry Cooder at Wembley in 1988.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2021, 09:36:21 pm »
Douglas Adams joining Pink Floyd on stage at Earl's Court in 1994. His birthday present from Dave Gilmour after he asked about what it was like to play to that size of crowd, apparently.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2021, 10:10:39 pm »
Jim Kerr (simple minds)  >:(  at Arcade Fire's gig at the Hydro.   Thankfully he didn't stay long.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2021, 10:12:11 pm »
Gary Numan, twice- with Fear Factory at Brixton in 1998 (Cars, he'd sung on their recorded cover) and NIN at the O2 in 2009 (Metal, then Cars).
Danny de Vito with Faith No More, Hammersmith 2012. Didn't sing, just sat on stage for a bit.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2021, 10:16:08 pm »
Just before Christmas, 1993, I saw Morrissey at Alexandra Palace. The support act was Kirsty Macoll, who was joined on stage by Shane McGowan for a finale duet of Fairytale of New York. That was pretty special.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:59:49 pm »
Just before Christmas, 1993, I saw Morrissey at Alexandra Palace. The support act was Kirsty Macoll, who was joined on stage by Shane McGowan for a finale duet of Fairytale of New York. That was pretty special.

Particularly as MacColl was famously stage-frit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2021, 08:40:46 am »
The Damned at The Lyceum about a million years ago.  Not guesting as such, more of an unannounced substitution.  I'd bought the ticket on the assumption that the billed act, Stiff Little Fingers, would be playing. I think it was some sort of jape by Dave Vanian.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)