Author Topic: Lezyne parts grump  (Read 1790 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Lezyne parts grump
« on: 05 May, 2021, 03:42:27 pm »
Ordered a couple of spare mounts for a 10 year old micro drive, and a replacement plastic cap, direct from Lezyne. Paid more than 9 euro for postage, even though the parts couldn't weight more than 100g collectively. Still altogether cheaper than a new light, thought I.

Today, more than a week later, I get an email from Lezyne simply stating that it's too expensive to ship to the UK and I'll get a refund in a couple of days.

I assume this is Br***t bollocks, but if they're going to be like that, why continue to accept orders from the UK?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Lezyne parts grump
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2021, 07:41:55 am »
Sounds like something that could be 3d printed?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2021, 10:53:09 am »
What width is the barrel?  I have a brand new, still in packaging, Lezyne gauge drive mount, in my spares.

ravenbait

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2021, 12:05:08 pm »
The light is... Looks like 27mm. I'm not too fussed about the mount -- I only needed a spare, as I still have one -- but the light is unusable without the plastic end cap.

Here is a picture of the end cap:

https://activesport.co/Lezyne-LED-Micro-/-Macro-/-Hecto-Plastic-Battery-Cap-Seal

And it has dimensions, so yes. 27mm.

• 19mm deep
• 27mm ø
• Thread size M24x0.75

I'm more annoyed that Lezyne accepted an order but wouldn't then ship it, despite my willingness to pay pretty expensive postage for what I'd ordered. I might search ebay for the cap.

Cheers, Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2021, 12:49:20 pm »
I'm pretty impressed they stock parts for a 10-year-old light TBH. Unless it's still a current model, of course. In fact, I wonder if they actually do have any in stock in €uromegawarehouse, rather than stuck in a factory in Taiwan, and that's actually the reason they can't ship to you...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2021, 12:57:18 pm »

Like this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2221814

(you can't print fine threads on a domestic 3d printer)

ravenbait

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2021, 01:13:36 pm »

Like this:

Sounds ideal! If I had a 3D printer. I don't know anyone who has a 3D printer.

They're not wrong about how the end cap should be aluminium, though.

And these lights are still for sale new, so it's not as if I'm looking for a part for something that nobody has sold for 20 years.

Sam

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2021, 01:21:41 pm »
I have a 3d printer! I was just working out how to generate a thread in the modelling software. Though it is quite a fine thread so probably won't print well.

I'm wondering though, the linked model doesn't have a thread at all but I'd have thought the alu thread on the light body may well be able to cut its own thread. I could run off a copy for you to try and if not I could see about remodelling it.

Or it may be that work have an approriate die - I'll pop an email to the guy what knows.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2021, 02:43:23 pm »

Like this:

And these lights are still for sale new, so it's not as if I'm looking for a part for something that nobody has sold for 20 years.

Sam

I know which lamp you mean now. I have the double ended one with a red cap. I can try a print and fit to see if it works for you.
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2021, 03:30:08 pm »

Like this:

Sam

I know which lamp you mean now. I have the double ended one with a red cap. I can try a print and fit to see if it works for you.
Printed, it's a slight interference fit, you might want to add an o ring.
Regards,

Joergen

ravenbait

« Reply #10 on: 06 May, 2021, 04:28:05 pm »
Wow. Did you do that for me?  :o That's amazing.

What would I owe you?

Sam

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11 on: 06 May, 2021, 04:37:00 pm »
Wow. Did you do that for me?  :o That's amazing.

What would I owe you?

Sam
Where abouts are you? Lmk and I'll try and get it to you. If it works out, a donation to ClicSargent would be great.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2021, 01:39:10 pm »
Fantastic stuff.😀

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2021, 11:46:52 am »
This seems odder and odder (except for jiberjaber making a part, which is the kind of brilliant thing that happens on YACF :thumbsup:). Were you initially ordering it from the Active Sport site you linked to? In which case, "cost of postage" could indeed be a roundabout way of saying "we can't be arsed to sort out the VAT under €135 thing for this". I'd kind of assumed it was from some Lezyne central distribution point earlier. I wonder what happen if you got a friend in eg Belgium to order it? Or is it on the website but in reality they're waiting for it themselves.

Nevertheless, I remain impressed that spare parts are available at all (in theory). I'm sure that's not the case for most similar products.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ravenbait

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2021, 03:25:37 pm »
This seems odder and odder (except for jiberjaber making a part, which is the kind of brilliant thing that happens on YACF :thumbsup:). Were you initially ordering it from the Active Sport site you linked to? In which case, "cost of postage" could indeed be a roundabout way of saying "we can't be arsed to sort out the VAT under €135 thing for this". I'd kind of assumed it was from some Lezyne central distribution point earlier. I wonder what happen if you got a friend in eg Belgium to order it? Or is it on the website but in reality they're waiting for it themselves.

Nevertheless, I remain impressed that spare parts are available at all (in theory). I'm sure that's not the case for most similar products.
I ordered direct from Lezyne. I only linked to Active Sport because spare parts on Lezyne involve paying a fixed fee then telling them what part you want in the comments box on the order form, so there's no way to link direct to the part. I added a couple of spare mounts basically to make it worth my while.

I now have the 3D printed version (thank you so much! donation made!) and am working out if I can add threads to make it fit a little more neatly and flush to the lamp body without spending 40 ailing cephalophods on a die I wouldn't use for anything else. Might see if my engineering brother has the right one for me to borrow.

Sam

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2021, 09:28:47 pm »
This seems odder and odder (except for jiberjaber making a part, which is the kind of brilliant thing that happens on YACF ). Were you initially ordering it from the Active Sport site you linked to? In which case, "cost of postage" could indeed be a roundabout way of saying "we can't be arsed to sort out the VAT under €135 thing for this". I'd kind of assumed it was from some Lezyne central distribution point earlier. I wonder what happen if you got a friend in eg Belgium to order it? Or is it on the website but in reality they're waiting for it themselves.

I ordered direct from Lezyne. I only linked to Active Sport because spare parts on Lezyne involve paying a fixed fee then telling them what part you want in the comments box on the order form, so there's no way to link direct to the part. I added a couple of spare mounts basically to make it worth my while.

I now have the 3D printed version (thank you so much! donation made!) and am working out if I can add threads to make it fit a little more neatly and flush to the lamp body without spending 40 ailing cephalophods on a die I wouldn't use for anything else. Might see if my engineering brother has the right one for me to borrow.

Sam
I did try to print a version with threads unsuccessfully but might have another go if I can find a bit of spare time
Regards,

Joergen