Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81654 times)

Re: Southend Football
« Reply #375 on: 27 April, 2021, 09:48:34 pm »
I was looking out for two results:

Forest Green Rovers 0 - 2 Barrow
Bradford City 0 - 1 Salford

Barrow staying up (Southend going down). Salford strengthen their play-off hopes.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #376 on: 27 April, 2021, 10:39:36 pm »
Is it still not mathematically possible for Southend to overtake Scunthorpe?

Southend are on 41 points with a -30 goal difference, Scunthorpe on 47 with -22. If Southend win their last two games and outscore their opponents by 7 goals, whilst Scunthorpe lose both theirs, then Southend will be out of the relegation zone.

I don't think Southend have scored 3 goals in a game all season so I think the scenario I have outlined is very unlikely indeed.

Of course, since Scunthorpe have lost their last 5, they might loser by a large margin.

I assume that it is mere coincidence that the 4 bottom sides all come form Lincs & Essex.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #377 on: 27 April, 2021, 11:09:13 pm »
Jaded. I didn't realise that you played for Forest Green.  Is it wise to be posting during a game?  No wonder you're losing.

Oh, I've been on the pitch a few times...
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #378 on: 27 April, 2021, 11:22:44 pm »
Jaded. I didn't realise that you played for Forest Green.  Is it wise to be posting during a game?  No wonder you're losing.

I've never heard it called that before... ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #379 on: 28 April, 2021, 12:22:32 am »

I've never heard it called that before... ;)

;D

A note for Southend for next season, I believe in Non-League you are allowed Plastic Pitches  :P

« Reply #380 on: 28 April, 2021, 08:24:00 am »
Given Scunthorpe lost 4-0 last night, 2 more of them and 2 wins for Southend and Scunthorpe would go down. Scunthorpe are away at Bradford, and Southend at Barrow - neither club has anything to play for. Grimsby are officially gone.

Looks like it's Newport, Salford and FGR (with Exeter a long shot) for the last 2 playoff places. On Saturday, their games are Exeter at Bolton (3rd, a point guarantees promotion), Newport vs Cheltenham (top, already promoted, win might give them the title), FGR vs Tranmere (5th, need to win and Bolton to slip up for any chance at automatic promotion) and Salford at Colchester (nothing to play for). Given the opposition, I think that makes Salford the favourites for 6th (and maybe Newport for 7th by dint of points on the board).

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #381 on: 01 May, 2021, 03:39:21 pm »
Hmm, I think you were optimistic for Southend and FGR...

(after 40 mins of today's matches)

« Reply #382 on: 01 May, 2021, 04:20:59 pm »
After 55 minutes, FGR are ahead, so are Southend and Newport.
Scunthorpe are drawing - if that stays the case, Southend go down today.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #383 on: 01 May, 2021, 05:27:56 pm »
That's how it stayed. Southend & Grimsby relegated. Ironic that between them, those two have registered 5 wins and 2 draws in their last 10 games.

« Reply #384 on: 02 May, 2021, 12:18:20 pm »
Last year I  think Stevenage were relegated on the last day and then reprieved thanks to points penalties for another team later. So the only hope for Southend now is that someone in the bottom 5 gets a points penalty.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #385 on: 02 May, 2021, 01:01:58 pm »
It seems to me that Southend are perpetually sailing very close to that wind themselves. I don't know the rules and ICBA to look them up, but I understand that there was a ban on them buying players at one time because of their financial plight. This of course, becomes a vicious circle.

« Reply #386 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:02:06 pm »
They are now challenging the relegation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57022942
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #387 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:42:33 pm »

Not happy with that.  Hardly Poo Untied are still on track to return to the second div either via the play offs or by winning the league outright.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #388 on: 07 May, 2021, 11:06:51 pm »

erm, that looks a bit cockeyed.

If it succeeds then there is no relegation or promotion between NL and League 2, so that's unfair on the bottom teams in League 1.. and so on all the way up.

« Reply #389 on: 08 May, 2021, 09:24:17 am »

Not happy with that.  Hardly Poo Untied are still on track to return to the second div either via the play offs or by winning the league outright.
Hoping that Stockport County's recent run of good form continues (to take them to automatic promotion).

« Reply #390 on: 09 May, 2021, 08:50:55 am »
Southend 1-1 Newport to end the season.
The idea that relegation from the league below is not happening, so relegation from this league shouldn't happen is insane. Applying that logic means that no relegation should happen through the entire football pyramid, because National Leagues N and S voided their seasons.

Curiously, the teams in 5th, 6th and 7th, all ended on W20, D13, L13. Also, because the pitch is being relaid at Rodney Parade, Newport will have to play the first playoff game at home (they were above FGR, so it should have been away first).

« Reply #391 on: 14 May, 2021, 03:43:38 pm »

All seems to have gone quiet on this challenge?

Do you think the lawyers for the EFL / FA have finished their laughing at the stupidity of the challenge and the thought of the easy money they will earn in opposing this challenge if it goes as far as a tribunal or court?

There is apparently already a precedent ( from a previous case) to say that they are too late with this challenge and that it should have been raised at the start of the year when the NLN/S stopped playing and it was announced there was to be no promotion or relegation to/ from those divisions.

If Southend and Grimsby go about the next year in the right way, it could be a great season and relaunch the clubs, alternatively they could be like Wrexham 15 or so years in the NL or even worse, like York in the NLN for their soon to be 4th season.

Southend to be in the ESL soon? ( I mean the Essex Senior League ( 9th tier of football) not the European Super League). Imagine the big Southend derby with Southend Manor, and still home for tea from an away game

« Reply #392 on: 14 May, 2021, 04:32:07 pm »
Grimsby have a new owner and coach and hope for the National League.
I fear for Southend without a new owner.

« Reply #393 on: 16 May, 2021, 10:03:22 pm »
I see now Grimsby have withdrawn from the pointless challenge to their relegation.

The same can't be said for the clown in charge of Southend

« Reply #394 on: 24 May, 2021, 07:00:11 am »
Former amateur Isthmian League club Sutton United are replacing Southend / Grimsby in the EFL.

A real dream come true. A club with no rich benefactor

« Reply #395 on: 24 May, 2021, 08:50:17 am »
What a playoff game last night. Started off at 0-2 from the first leg.
7 minutes 1-2
8 minutes 2-2 - all level again.
53 minutes 3-2 - FGR going through.
70 minutes 3-3 - all level again.
76 minutes 3-4 - Newport going through.
87 minutes 4-4 - all level again.
119 minutes 4-5 Newport going through.

I listened to a preview on a lower league podcast the other day (recorded before the first leg) saying to back a low scoring tie. :)
The final will be interesting - Morecombe beat Tranmere in the other semi).

« Reply #396 on: 31 May, 2021, 06:03:37 pm »
And that's why we have VAR.  :'(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #397 on: 08 June, 2021, 09:46:28 am »
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19356492.cause-fire-roots-hall-avenue-revealed/

It comes as no surprise at all that a fire broke out at Roots Hall yesterday evening. This seems to be the standard way of dealing with buildings occupying potential development sites in Southend.

The following seems to leave little to chance, and rather gives the lie to the wording of the link above:

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental or deliberate.

« Reply #398 on: 08 June, 2021, 10:54:17 am »
One for HIGNFY ?

Don't you love local news?!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #399 on: 02 July, 2021, 11:58:37 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/29/grimsby-town-fc-financial-civic-value

That's a very interesting development for Grimsby - a chairman who has the club's interest and links to the community at heart, and can string words together in a manner that befits a visiting fellow at Orcs' Fud University.