Author Topic: Children's television  (Read 16512 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Children's television
« Reply #25 on: 26 September, 2014, 10:47:35 am »
I'm not sure the kids know TV is broadcast
When I was very little -under five, which is about when we got a TV - there was an occasion when my mum said, "We're going to Andrea's and you can watch The Magic Roundabout on television" to which I replied, "But Andrea's television doesn't have The Magic Roundabout, that's on Simon's television. Andrea's has Play School." I genuinely thought each television set only showed one programme!

Funny how that has stuck in my mind though I can't remember who Andrea and Simon were. :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 26 September, 2014, 12:31:55 pm »
Funnily enough, barakta and I ended up watching an episode of newfangled Postman Pat in Gaelic last night.  We made up the plot as we went along, Magic Roundabout style.
I have my own version of Postman Pat I made up for the kids when they were young teenagers.

It's Postman Prat and his black and white Rat. Prat spends most of of the time in the back of the van, stoned out of his gourd. The Rat swears a lot.

This is how they got the idea for Yodel, isn't it?

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #27 on: 26 September, 2014, 01:57:52 pm »
Funnily enough, barakta and I ended up watching an episode of newfangled Postman Pat in Gaelic last night.  We made up the plot as we went along, Magic Roundabout style.
I have my own version of Postman Pat I made up for the kids when they were young teenagers.

It's Postman Prat and his black and white Rat. Prat spends most of of the time in the back of the van, stoned out of his gourd. The Rat swears a lot.

I made up Squashed Flat Pat to explain the dangers of crossing the road to my six year old younger sister.

We don't talk much these days.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 26 September, 2014, 03:19:18 pm »

Didn't Spitting Image do a song about Temporary Postman Pratt (and his Jesus And Mary Chain albums)?

He ran over the cat.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #29 on: 26 September, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »
But I can't help thinking that a TV-free upbringing is more for the parents' benefit than the children's.
Hell yes.

Who is the grown up in this house anyway? Not only do I not want to watch that shit, I don't have to, and didn't have to.

They watch crap indiscriminately online now, but at least they wear headphones...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 26 September, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »
I was brought up TV-free. I am still TV-free.
5 of my parents' 6 kids are TV-free.
Many of their kids are in schools where others are also TV-free so I don't think they'll feel left out.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #31 on: 26 September, 2014, 07:33:47 pm »
My interaction with Children's TV is mostly in the guise of making it, so I don't watch.  However, I have to say that working with The Muppets (actually Sesame Foundation) on The Furchester Hotel was the most fun I've had getting a show ready.  The crew day where we got a special 'live' performance just for us was also great, and yes, I still have a piece of a Cookie Monster cookie - specially made to an extra-crunchy fat-free recipe which doesn't leave greasy marks on the fur.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 26 September, 2014, 07:35:53 pm »

I made up Squashed Flat Pat to explain the dangers of crossing the road to my six year old younger sister.

We don't talk much these days.
I was told the USAnian edition of Postman Pat is Mailman Mick. In which case, does he have a black and white dick?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #33 on: 26 September, 2014, 11:46:23 pm »
Somebody (Victor Louis Smith from memory) did a song to the tune of Postman Pat once.... A snatch of which might have gone a bit like this
My postman's crap,
My postman's crap,
My postman's crap,
He's a miserable chap,
Early in the morning,
Well, not very early in the morning,
In fact sometimes at the crack of noon,
He <somethings> with his postbag in his hand

or not, ... my memory is hazy on the matter...  I do remember a line like "... 'Photographs - DO NOT BEND' - Oh yes they do!" in there somewhere.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 18 April, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »
There is a cartoon called Bing. It is for very young children. Our grandson, who can clearly understand sentences like "Your dinner's ready!", does not otherwise use a lot of language.

Bing's characters have the bodies of animals and the adults who look after them are represented by soft toys. Bing is a rabbit and its adult is called Flop. Flop's voice, and the narrator, is from one Mark Rylance, upon whom Mrs. Wow has a crush. The programmes all have a little moral to the tale and at the end and Bing talks us through in case we missed anything.

In a programme we watched on Thursday, Bing caught his finger in a letter box and was rather crestfallen. Our grandson dissolved into floods of tears and lay face down on the floor and sobbed. I thought he had hurt himself, but his dad told me that he always does that at that stage of that particular episode. Such empathy! It was tragic.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #35 on: 18 April, 2015, 01:48:32 pm »
Oh dear, we recently saw Mark Rylance getting killed by a bull in "The Gunman". Please give Mrs Wow my condolences  :'(

« Reply #36 on: 18 April, 2015, 04:40:04 pm »
I quite enjoy the kids TV. I still greet Miss Dan the Elder with "hi hi de li" when I get home, and tell them that there's "runny grovels" for tea from time to time - much to their annoyance, as they are now far too old for Waybuloo or In the Night Garden :)

« Reply #37 on: 19 April, 2015, 09:05:51 pm »
There is a cartoon called Bing. It is for very young children. Our grandson, who can clearly understand sentences like "Your dinner's ready!", does not otherwise use a lot of language.

Bing's characters have the bodies of animals and the adults who look after them are represented by soft toys. Bing is a rabbit and its adult is called Flop. Flop's voice, and the narrator, is from one Mark Rylance, upon whom Mrs. Wow has a crush. The programmes all have a little moral to the tale and at the end and Bing talks us through in case we missed anything.

In a programme we watched on Thursday, Bing caught his finger in a letter box and was rather crestfallen. Our grandson dissolved into floods of tears and lay face down on the floor and sobbed. I thought he had hurt himself, but his dad told me that he always does that at that stage of that particular episode. Such empathy! It was tragic.

They clearly have their market right. The duck loves Bing and got quite upset when a balloon floated away in one episode. It's vastly annoying (I haven't the faintest idea who narrates it) but well targeted. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #38 on: 19 April, 2015, 11:19:38 pm »
It has occurred to me, warped individual that I am, that some "Bing" episodes in which Flop has an affair with Amma (Sula's "minder") would be Very Amusing Indeed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 30 April, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
My daughter thinks that Flop and Amma are not well suited for an affair. She thinks that Flop and the lady who runs the greegrocer's are probably getting a banana under the counter.

« Reply #40 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:33:49 am »
Is Pingu still on. I love Pingu.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #41 on: 01 May, 2015, 12:27:27 pm »
Does Mrs. Pingu know?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 17 December, 2015, 06:19:06 pm »
Today has mostly been spent in the company of a children's television.

There is a problem. Every programme I have seen, with othe notable exception of the Twirlywoos (great programme), every single one has bedn dominated by the subject of snow.

Quite apart from the small problem that there has only been the one White Christmas in the 61 I have spent in this country (that' all of them) there is also the small problem that the temperature outside has hardly dipped below 10 deg C for the whole of December.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #43 on: 17 December, 2015, 06:34:49 pm »
Today has mostly been spent in the company of a children's television.

There is a problem. Every programme I have seen, with othe notable exception of the Twirlywoos (great programme), every single one has bedn dominated by the subject of snow.

Quite apart from the small problem that there has only been the one White Christmas in the 61 I have spent in this country (that' all of them) there is also the small problem that the temperature outside has hardly dipped below 10 deg C for the whole of December.

Global warning innit?  You should start a campaign  ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #44 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:38:15 pm »
Perhaps the programme wasn't made with you in mind. I remember several white Christmases, but then, I live further north than you.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 17 December, 2015, 07:44:22 pm »
And anyway, how are today's kids to learn about snow, if not for television?