Author Topic: A facebook privacy question...  (Read 1329 times)

A facebook privacy question...
« on: 29 April, 2010, 04:52:16 pm »
If one allows facebook to use your email contacts list to search for people you may know, does it use the email addresses to suggest that these people might like to add you as a friend.  In other words you suddenly find yourself having loads of invites from people you may not have necessarily contacted?

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: A facebook privacy question...
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »
If one allows facebook to use your email contacts list to search for people you may know, one deserves all one gets!!    :smug:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2010, 04:59:54 pm »
If one allows facebook to use your email contacts list to search for people you may know, one deserves all one gets!!    :smug:

I'm inclined to think it does mean 'open season', perhaps I'll avoid...  ;)

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:01:05 pm »
FTFY  :)

Personally, I'd avoid it going through my address book, just because it's get lots of people in there that I really wouldn't want to contact again.

Not that I use facebook anyway.

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »
If one allows facebook to use your email contacts list to search for people you may know, does it use the email addresses to suggest that these people might like to add you as a friend.

No

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »
If one allows facebook to use your email contacts list to search for people you may know, does it use the email addresses to suggest that these people might like to add you as a friend.

No

Sure?   :)  Not that I'd hold you to account or anything...  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:14:36 pm »
FTFY  :)

Personally, I'd avoid it going through my address book, just because it's get lots of people in there that I really wouldn't want to contact again.

Not that I use facebook anyway.

I've had one friend (who contacted me) for about 3 yrs. :)  But actually I've just found an old Zim school friend from my Africa days which is good.

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:20:58 pm »
AFAIK the email address book facility simply allows you to contact people from your address book.   If you choose not to, they can only do likewise if you are already in their address book.  And, even if they do, simply ignore them. 

I have resisted FaceAche for a very long time but I've found that it is a very useful way to keep in touch with my extended family.