Author Topic: Linux and DLSR software  (Read 1245 times)

Linux and DLSR software
« on: 28 April, 2010, 05:54:42 pm »
Most, may be all, Digital Cameras have software for Microshaft and nuffink for Linux. Hence reading the Camera instructions which are usually on a CD is not available. Yes I do know about virtual set ups but I don't fancy them.

I am thinking about purchasing a Canon Digital Camera but not sure how to address this issue without installing Microshaft again on a dual boot. Oh the horror :sick:

There must be many Forum Members using Linux, so what method are they using. I use Ubuntu 9.04.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Linux and DLSR software
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2010, 05:58:47 pm »
What exactly do you wish to do?

If it is take the photos off the camera then just get a card reader and take the card out the camera, plug it into the camera
If it is to read the instructions, then they almost certainly are in pdf format, or you should be able to download a pdf?
If it is other software then you may not need it - usually there are alternatives for the camera manufacturers software.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:17:59 pm »
Downloading the  pictures  is not a problem. I already do it with Sony and Olympus Digital Cameras.

Reading the detailed instructions on the CD is a problem. Olympus and Sony each have a hard copy quick start guide  but then advise you to read the CD's for more details.

I don't want to spend big money on the camera and not be able to access all the detailed operating instructions hence my request to find out what other Linux users do. Mac are usually catered for these days but not Linux so far :-\

As a last resort I could ask someone to print the PDF's but that would be a major task I think.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:22:34 pm »
Adobe reader is available for Linux, both for standalone use and as a plugin for browsers.  There should be no problems reading a .pdf under Linux.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »
A quick search shows Canon do pdf manuals on their website.

Surely you can download one of them?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:44:17 pm »
olympus E range DSLR manuals are available in pdf format from their site.

inc

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2010, 07:02:26 pm »
I use two Cannons an EOS and an IXUS. I use Digikam  digiKam - Photo Management Program | Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of Open Source which is probably as good as it gets for photo management in Linux. With  KDE just plug in the usb, switch on the camera and you will get on option to download to Digikam where you can do just about most things with your photos.

edit, I missed the bit about manuals, I am sure you can just open the cd in a file manager and drag the pdf to your hard drive for reading whenever you like but they are available for download anyway.
Canon UK - User Manuals

Hello, I am Bruce

• Hello, I am Bruce
  • Hello, I am Bruce
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2010, 07:27:54 pm »
If you are getting a Canon DSLR then you'll also want some software that can edit the raw files (.cr2).

This suggests that you can use Canon's own DPP software in Ubuntu Linux.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2010, 07:32:29 pm »
Buy a Pentax DSLR and it will come with a printed manual (with PDF online also) :demon:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2010, 07:40:03 pm »
I bought a Canon EOS 450D a couple of months ago, and it came with a printed manual. I'm currently using Ufraw and the Gimp to edit raw files, though I'm on the lookout for some good image browsing software to help with discarding the 90% of photos which aren't worth considering.
I am nothing and should be everything

inc

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »

« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2010, 03:18:32 am »
Thanks everybody.

I'll stick with Canon which I have used for many years. If the camera comes with a detailed manual I will be more than happy.