Author Topic: A "web page', as it is technically called...  (Read 1118 times)

A "web page', as it is technically called...
« on: 13 July, 2013, 10:40:25 pm »
This leaves me gobsmacked. It's not that so much has changed since 1994, really, more that the time has passed so quickly.

https://twitter.com/AngryChrisH/status/356161414760640513/photo/1

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: A "web page', as it is technically called...
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2013, 10:46:30 pm »
I'm left dazed by the passage of time and the speed of tech.

As a boy I was a sci-fi fan and a 1980s bedroom hacker (acoustic coupler and all). At first felt I was in my element; my future was actually happening. But reality has overtaken my 15 year old's imagination now. I look around society and technology and feel that I live in a (rather dystopian) comic book.

And, yeah, where did the years go?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2013, 10:59:05 pm »
I remember writing a piece for the club newsletter in about 1995  about the handful of cycling websites I'd discovered, I think one of them was about the Tour. Before then it was all rec.bicycles.racing...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2013, 08:08:18 am »
PRESTEL ran a primitive news service that had some cycling stuff (can't remember the provider) back in the mid-1980s - all text and a few very blocky graphics using the Teletext style display format.

What goes around comes around - conceptually the WWW is not really much more than a better presentation (with more interaction) of videotex/viewdata that we had in the UK as PRESTEL and the French had with their MINITEL terminals - they were both around in about 1981/82.

Ah, nostalgia.

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:46:57 am »
Of course, one (good) difference between Minitel/Prestel and the Internet is that you don't need to spend a bunch of money and deal with a pile of bureaucracy to get your service online.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2013, 11:14:17 am »
Even  in 1200/75 days, you had a range of free[1] and subscription "bulletin boards".

I used to hang around here a lot:

[1] Apart from prohibitive telephone bills. I have a strong belief that my parents sent me away to school as it was probably cheaper than the phone bill had I stayed at home.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2013, 11:27:20 am »
Prestel had Micronet had Shades.

Which some members here may remember  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:31:03 pm »
Guilty as charged.

Still online too (ah, if only I'd done the other 49....).