Author Topic: Dan Brown's new book out today!  (Read 5033 times)

Dan Brown's new book out today!
« on: 15 September, 2009, 11:04:34 am »
Well it's released today, and I should be downloading my copy later today (hooray for electronic books).

I'd just like to add, that I have a voucher that gets me a free copy, after reading Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci code, I vowed that Dan Brown would not see another penny from me.

I wouldn't say his books are so bad they're good, but they're so bad they're fun.

I'm actually looking forward to reading the new book. Is that perverse?

Scarily I got 9/10 in this quiz

Can you crack the Dan Brown code? |
            Books |
            guardian.co.uk

Re: Dan Brown's new book out today!
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:06:15 am »
They are so bad they are boring.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:11:23 am »
No, it's not perverse. I've only read The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, but I enjoyed them both. Dan Brown wouldn't win prizes for the quality of the writing, but they're easy to read and fairly mindless. Perfect entertainment when I want something to read that isn't mentally taxing and quick. I realise it's all crap, but it would seem that some people actually believe the stuff Dan Brown is writing is real and that's one of the criticisms of his work. Personally, tho, I cannot blame Dan Brown for people being stupid.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tim

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:16:37 am »
I read a novel* that had the strap-line "the thinking man's Da Vinci Code" or words to that effect.

This has sufficiently scared me away from the dumbed down version of a poor novel.

*brain has successfully wiped notable details of it including author, title, lack of plot...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:29:36 am »
So far Dan Brown has managed to pass me by. Maybe I'll continue in that state for a little while yet!
It is simpler than it looks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:48:47 am »
The more people go on about good his books are, the less likely I am to pick one of the damn things up. But I've always been like that.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2009, 12:07:42 pm »
The more people go on about good his books are, the less likely I am to pick one of the damn things up. But I've always been like that.

Good man :thumbsup: When I read 'Da Vinci Code' I always thought that Mr Brown was lecturing me the whole bloody time. I wanted to shout 'stop patronising me'.

« Reply #7 on: 15 September, 2009, 12:14:32 pm »

Good man :thumbsup: When I read 'Da Vinci Code' I always thought that Mr Brown was lecturing me the whole bloody time. I wanted to shout 'stop patronising me'.

"Bonjour" the frenchman said to me.

"Aha," I thought, "He has said "good day" to me, but because I am Clever and understand French, I know what he is speaking to me when he says frenchwords, even though I am impossibly good-looking and American."

At least, I recall it going something like that.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #8 on: 15 September, 2009, 04:24:33 pm »
Possibly the worst widely-read writer in the world. Jeffrey Archer comes close. Mind you, I read a Frederick Forsyth book (The Afghan) back in March (someone had left it in the room where I was staying). And that was appallingly written...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2009, 04:27:01 pm »
Mind you, I read a Frederick Forsyth book (The Afghan) back in March (someone had left it in the room where I was staying). And that was appallingly written...
The Afghan is appallingly regardless of the writing quality. It's surely Mr. Forsyth's worst attempt at a novel.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2009, 05:33:03 pm »
I read the Angel & Demons [EDIT!], I think, whilst on holidays on an island in Brazil... It had been left there... Was okay in between dips in the pool and the sea...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »
The Da Vinci Code - mildly diverting, even if it reads as if it was written by a creative writing student (DB teaches creative writing IIRC).

Angels and Demons - possibly a bit better, although there is some stupid sci-fi stuff about hyperplanes.

Deception Point - boring

Digital Fortress - really, really boring.

DB seems to be on an improving trend (although A&D predates DVC) but, as he has already done the Templars, Freemasons and Illuminati, I can only assume the new book includes David Icke's reptilian shape-shifters.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 15 September, 2009, 08:10:58 pm »
DB seems to be on an improving trend (although A&D predates DVC) but, as he has already done the Templars, Freemasons and Illuminati, I can only assume the new book includes David Icke's reptilian shape-shifters.
The CTC.

The beards, the sandals, the "secret" meetings

Everyone knows they are the inheritors of the ancient druids.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 15 September, 2009, 08:18:47 pm »
I think Wowbagger is actually King Arthur.  He's immortal, you know.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 15 September, 2009, 08:20:49 pm »
Oh it's a well known fact that Wowbagger cannot be killed with conventional weapons.

« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »
Oh it's a well known fact that Wowbagger cannot be killed with conventional weapons.
That's because they get tangled up in his beard.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:19:24 pm »
From the BBC RSS:

"Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code follow-up, The Lost Symbol, has sold more hardback copies in 36 hours than any other adult hardback in the UK, publishers say."

Fnaar Fnaar
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:21:11 am »
From a review of The Lost Symbol:

His metaphors and similes thud onto the page. ­Inoue Sato, an intelligence official  “cruised the deep waters of the C.I.A. like a leviathan who surfaced only to devour its prey.” Insights don’t simply come to characters: “Then, like an oncoming truck, it hit her,” or “The revelation crashed over Langdon like a wave.” And just when our hero thinks it’s safe to go back in the water, another bad metaphor washes over him: “His head ached now, a roiling torrent of inter­connected thoughts.”

You can practically hear the eerie organ music playing whenever Mal’akh, the clichéd villain whose eyes shine “with feral ferocity,” appears.
But Brown tops himself with these descriptions: “Wearing only a silken loincloth wrapped around his buttocks and neutered sex organ, Mal’akh began his preparations,” and “Hanging beneath the archway, his massive sex organ bore the tattooed symbols of his destiny. In another life, this heavy shaft of flesh had been his source of carnal pleasure. But no longer.”

The author has gotten rich and famous without attaining a speck of subtlety. A character never just stumbles into blackness. It must be inky blackness. A character never just listens in shock. He listens in utter shock.

And consider this fraught interior monologue by the head of the Capitol Police: “Chief Anderson wondered when this night would end. A severed hand in my Rotunda? A death shrine in my basement? Bizarre engravings on a stone pyramid? Somehow, the Redskins game no longer felt significant.”

-------------
Surely a Must Read?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #18 on: 15 October, 2009, 10:05:43 am »
Fahrenheit 451

Contains all the information you need.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #19 on: 15 October, 2009, 10:45:56 pm »
I admit I've read it. It was actually quite a page turner.
Ending was more than a bit rubbish, and the plot twist I didn't realise was a plot twist as it was so telegraphed in advance. It was only when I read a review about the far too obvious plot twist that I realised it was supposed to be a twist.

« Reply #20 on: 15 October, 2009, 10:48:17 pm »
I admit I've read it. It was actually quite a page turner.
Ending was more than a bit rubbish, and the plot twist I didn't realise was a plot twist as it was so telegraphed in advance. It was only when I read a review about the far too obvious plot twist that I realised it was supposed to be a twist.

Well, that's me sold.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #21 on: 15 October, 2009, 10:49:01 pm »
and the plot twist I didn't realise was a plot twist as it was so telegraphed in advance

It is written for Americans..

Zoidburg

« Reply #23 on: 14 May, 2013, 03:21:14 pm »
I'm tempted to buy his new book. I'm a sick sick man.

Dan Brown's inferno.

« Reply #24 on: 14 May, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »
The paper back version of the Da Vinci Code is the perfect thickness for a front wheel prop with my turbo trainer :thumbsup: