Author Topic: Tapering and carbo loading  (Read 2408 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Tapering and carbo loading
« on: 30 April, 2008, 03:34:04 pm »
This is my first year of at least paying lip service to sports science. I have read up on all the main ideas about training zones etc, and now think I know how to "train smart". (Of course I haven't actually stuck to these ideas, maybe next year ...)

Anyway, 2 areas I still know little about are:
Tapering (I've sort of done this in the past, but without a proper 'plan'), and
Carbo Loading (I don't understand how this works at all).

So, I'd be open to some gentle advice on these topics. You may target your answers around a 600km ride I have entered on May 17th (which I expect to involve about 30hrs actually on the bike, spread over 42hours ). Hmm, that's quite soon, isn't it?

Matty
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Tapering and carbo loading
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:55:34 pm »
Eat well (restricting any form of energy/calories is a BAD idea)  the week before your long ride. Really fatty food might be a bad idea, but plenty of carbs in the form of pasta/spuds/bread etc is OK. Go for enjoyable portion sizes. If you stuff yourself silly, you'll probably only make more fat, so don't.
Ride little and slowly in the last 48 hours before the big ride.
On the ride, before and after, eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty. Make sure you drink enough, but not too much. Have a leak as soon a you feel the need, as a full bladder addles the brain and reduces performance.
Eat as soon as you arrive anywhere and as soon as you have a visit from she whose name is unutterable.

Enjoy your ride!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:04:39 am »
Thanks Helly. BCM was my least painful 600+ so far (but only slightly).

Have a leak as soon a you feel the need, as a full bladder addles the brain and reduces performance.

Never heard this tip before - I'll bear it in mind!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 08:56:54 pm »
Thanks Helly. BCM was my least painful 600+ so far (but only slightly).

Have a leak as soon a you feel the need, as a full bladder addles the brain and reduces performance.

Never heard this tip before - I'll bear it in mind!

Years of experience, and some work in geriatric medicine have to pay off somehow. ;) ;)