Author Topic: Tan Hill Overnighter 14 December 2018: It's Christmas!!!  (Read 19975 times)

Re: Tan Hill Overnighter 14 December 2018: It's Christmas!!!
« Reply #25 on: 15 September, 2018, 08:02:42 pm »
He's not admitting it yet but Mr Smith should be on that list. I've paid for his bed so he has one fewer excuse.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #26 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:28:10 pm »
Bad news and good news...

I can't make the December Shindig  :( But...

The early afternoon of Friday 22nd February could see me in the environs of Tan Hill and I should have until the Sunday morning so that gives me two nights and all of Saturday for mid-winter fun and games.  I know its a way off but is anyone likely to be about? 

If there is some interest I will start a new thread to avoid confusion.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #27 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:13:45 pm »
He's not admitting it yet but Mr Smith should be on that list. I've paid for his bed so he has one fewer excuse.

Yay!

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #28 on: 20 September, 2018, 09:14:02 pm »

The early afternoon of Friday 22nd February could see me in the environs of Tan Hill and I should have until the Sunday morning so that gives me two nights and all of Saturday for mid-winter fun and games.  I know its a way off but is anyone likely to be about? 

Boo!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #29 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:01:26 am »

Boo!

Yes, sorry about that.  2019 should afford me more flexibility hence hoping to conquer Tan Hill in February.

« Reply #30 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:05:46 pm »

Boo!

Yes, sorry about that.  2019 should afford me more flexibility hence hoping to conquer Tan Hill in February.

Ah, I read that as 22 Dec! May be free in Feb - start a thread. Camping erm...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #31 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:04:35 am »
Ah, I read that as 22 Dec! May be free in Feb - start a thread...

Done!

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #32 on: 25 September, 2018, 07:47:38 pm »
Ah, I read that as 22 Dec! May be free in Feb - start a thread...

Done!

More
Moar Tan Hill goodness.
 :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #33 on: 09 October, 2018, 01:01:09 am »
There's now a hillclimb from Reeth to Tan Hill, run by  Stockton Wheelers. Someone's just won it in 36 minutes. You all now have a challenge for when you go up there in December  :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 04 November, 2018, 05:52:35 pm »
Just booked a bunk bed at Tan Hill. I could say the lower load will allow me to have a crack at the times trial, but I’ve just got a bit nesh and am not likely to be be as fit as I’d like tondra and use the camp kit in December... still it’s a commitment!

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Mike

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #35 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:53:29 pm »
Woo hooo! This is going to be a wonderful gathering. I hope they light the fires.

« Reply #36 on: 06 November, 2018, 10:12:27 am »
I've got a bit of annual leave to use by the end of the year, so am taking the following Monday & Tuesday off work too - I'm seriously tempted to extend this and ride home, though obviously a lot depends on the weather! Now to look at potential routes...

« Reply #37 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:08:45 pm »
I've got a bit of annual leave to use by the end of the year, so am taking the following Monday & Tuesday off work too - I'm seriously tempted to extend this and ride home, though obviously a lot depends on the weather! Now to look at potential routes...

I've booked a double room for me and the current Mrs Socks.  We'll have the camper van and bike rack so will have space for a couple of people plus bikes if anyone needs a lift to lower ground.  (Assuming that the weather is OK for us to get there of course).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #38 on: 09 November, 2018, 11:31:58 am »
I've just booked a bunk :)

I was considering bringing the tent and extending my ride home to include a night out,  I'm not so sure that I'll have the time for that now and will likely ride back to Newcastle on Saturday morning.

I don't have anything booked in with work for the 14th yet so I've penciled in a working from home day,  that will allow me to get away after lunch, probably by train to Darlington followed by a ride up via Barnard Castle.

One quick question for those with some local knowledge:  Whats Route 70 like between Barnard Castle and Tan Hill?  I see from the online maps that there is a 2-3 mile stretch of unmade road, how is it?

« Reply #39 on: 09 November, 2018, 01:46:30 pm »
Ah, the Sleighthome Moor Road.

Fine. Absolutely fine.

[No sniggering at the back boys and girls]

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:10:05 pm »
There's no such thing as a bad road, just Mildly Inappropriate Bikes™.

However, on the grounds that both bad weather and crap lungs are real possibilities in December, I'm erring on the side of caution (and vastly cheaper trains) and taking the Kirkby Stephen approach.  Choice of steed to be made in light of prevailing conditions nearer the time.

« Reply #41 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:15:09 pm »
One quick question for those with some local knowledge:  Whats Route 70 like between Barnard Castle and Tan Hill?  I see from the online maps that there is a 2-3 mile stretch of unmade road, how is it?

I rode up and down it on 28mm gatorskins this summer with no bother. Bone dry mind.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #42 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:51:27 pm »
It was the road we rode down in this blog post.  Pics from after the inn are of the Sleightholme road, starting at the one with the W2W sign.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #43 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:52:38 pm »

I rode up and down it on 28mm gatorskins this summer with no bother. Bone dry mind.

Mr Bunbury did it downhill in the ice on 23mm tyres. There's always someone crazier than oneself.

[x-post]

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #44 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:58:16 pm »

Mr Bunbury did it downhill in the ice on 23mm tyres. There's always someone crazier than oneself.

[x-post]

They were 35 mm Schwalbe G Ones thankyouverymuch!

« Reply #45 on: 09 November, 2018, 06:40:44 pm »
I did it on 35mm tyres last time and it was fine. Much better than I remembered - but the only other time I'd done it was on 25mm tyres a few years ago, and that wasn't fun.

Might be on 43mm tyres this time, if I can't be bothered to switch them! ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 09 November, 2018, 07:19:26 pm »
I've done it on a recumbent with 40mm Marathons and *just* the right amount of co-codamol, back when there was slightly more loose gravel and a not quite as many shark-infested puddles.  It was more fun when I did it on a MTB with 54mm Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph last year, but that might just be because I have a clearer memory of the event...

« Reply #47 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:48:02 pm »
That road sounds like the way to go then. 

I'll probably be on the bent, though it normally wears 559x42 Marathon Supreme's I might fit the 50mm Conti Winters which have been loafing in the loft since Mrs B started commuting on 20" wheels.  Only drawback is there's no room for guards with those tyres.

« Reply #48 on: 12 November, 2018, 01:39:35 pm »
Looks like Northern Trains are going to be striking on the 15th.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #49 on: 13 November, 2018, 09:07:12 pm »
Looks like Northern Trains are going to be striking on the 15th.

Joy.
:(