Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105000 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #425 on: 18 July, 2015, 03:03:38 pm »
I believe that with exception of the not often ridden 10A --1000km route---there are no official routes just the control points, so yes you can route it wherever you wish AFAIK but the `fun`  ;D of the Cambrian series are the hills aren`t they and the AAA points associated with them.

If you look back through this (lengthy) forum thread you`ll see occasional requests for .gpx files, or as you have done comments. As I`ve also done a few posts earlier with 6A. So I think there`s quite a bit of info contained within the whole thread as well as scope for comments on proposed routes. Colin B has also offered comments in pms to a couple of my routes  as sometimes it isn`t always too obvious what`s `best` route. Hope all this helps  :thumbsup:

As for your route looks as close as possible I`d imagine to shortest route for the 200 and I hope that the Erwood 16% hairpins (Sunnybank) will be an enjoyable experience ;). You might also consider how the option of Hay > Craswall> Cross Ash> Monmouth compares to the Golden Valley route you`ve selected in terms of overall route distance and ascent in total
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #426 on: 18 July, 2015, 04:45:16 pm »
Thanks for that James I will have another look at the hay monmouth section Then all thats needed is a day off to ride it.
Cheers :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #427 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:23:50 am »
The routes are free - even for the 10A - there's a fact sheet for that ride which provides suggestions, just because of the length and difficulty.  When I've ridden events I use Painscastle on Hay - Llandrindod sections (and its one of my favourite legs for sheer scenery) but I've also avoided it if I am heading for Builth Wells, where I ride up the quite side of the Wye valley.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #428 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:40:34 pm »
Have finally cobbled a route together that I think s a goer.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9360982

Takes in most of the "scenic " bits but uses the less strenuous run back to Chepstow via Usk. I think my legs will have had enough by then.

Thanks James for route advice and I guess I have to say thanks to Aunt Maud for spurring me on to do a more interesting route.

Hoping to ride it in next few days if I can ,If not will have to be next month. :thumbsup:

« Reply #429 on: 19 July, 2015, 08:47:58 pm »
Banjo---I think you`ve now put together a cracking route----` I rode the Painscastle > Erwood section this morning, it`s a hard climb to top Sunnybank but you`ll get superlative views perched high above the Wye Valley---good brakes needed for descent  ;D Likewise the Upper Chapel road will bring a host of rewards once you`re up on the Epynt

Enjoy  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #430 on: 19 July, 2015, 09:13:17 pm »
@ Abergavenney (163.4km) take A4143 South, under A465, left @ Roundabout onto B4269, cross A4042 onto lane (no SP) that runs parallel with River Usk, through Maerdy, Right at LLanvair Kilgeddin B4598 rejoin route.

Looks like a nice route and you're welcome  ;)

Don't forget to take some photos, so we can have a looksee.

« Reply #431 on: 19 July, 2015, 10:23:10 pm »
@ Abergavenney (163.4km) take A4143 South, under A465, left @ Roundabout onto B4269, cross A4042 onto lane (no SP) that runs parallel with River Usk, through Maerdy, Right at LLanvair Kilgeddin B4598 rejoin route.

Looks like a nice route and you're welcome  ;)

Don't forget to take some photos, so we can have a looksee.

Which nicely avoids the town traffic and the horrible double roundabout thing at the A40.  Cheers  :thumbsup:    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9367404

« Reply #432 on: 20 July, 2015, 06:40:32 am »

That` a really good `nip around`---I`ve avoided TC previously but used the roundabout thing and section Head Valley to get around TC (turning off at supermarket interchange, then cut across residential road to Neville Hall hospl) but yours is a lot safer and better  :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #433 on: 20 July, 2015, 08:15:39 am »
You could even control at Waitrose (which has an Abergavenny address) on the roundabout and stay off the A40 completely.

Go up on the pavement on the Heads of The Valleys Road roundabout, if you don't fancy duelling with the fast traffic.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9372044

« Reply #434 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:32:02 am »
anybody got any 3b routes to look at

currently working off this rough guide but don't want to miss out any beautys

https://www.strava.com/routes/2544480
nam dan on fb

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #435 on: 20 July, 2015, 09:59:19 am »
There's a funny jink through Puncheston between Fishguard and Llandeilo - unless you have a real reason to be there I'd just follow the B-road - otherwise this leg is fine. 

There are some lanes that will shorten the Lampeter - NewQuay route.  I've never been certain that you have to do the Devils Staircase for Llanwrtyd to Lampeter  (I think that's the reason why Peter Coulson, who set up the original series deliberately uses Tregaron) so you may be able to go south on main roads and avoid some pain (though the routes on the Cambrian series are free).

Between Newquay and Fishguard you can save some distance by going through Clynfyw.

Otherwise looks good to me and you've taken the splendid mountain road between Llandeilo and Brecon rather than following the main drags as some people have done - your option is highly recommended - I recall watching red kites feeding on a dead sheep riding along this section in a flat calm at 7am when doing the 4D

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #436 on: 20 July, 2015, 02:25:47 pm »
route corrected for your additions, thank you very much :)
nam dan on fb

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #437 on: 04 August, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »
New Cambrian Series records have been set.  Entries number 55 and 56 for 2015 received today, eclipsing last years record total entries of 54.  Completed ride number 27 for the year (that's the Audax year to 30th September) beating the 2011 record of 26, with plenty of rides promised over the next month.

Its great to see such interest in these epic rides in a beautiful part of the world. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #438 on: 08 October, 2015, 10:41:07 pm »
Unless there's a couple of brevets winging their way in the post to me for this weekend, times up for rides for the 2014/15 Cambrian Series year.  A new record with 63 entries and 35 completed rides, both comfortably better than the previous bests of 54 (2014) and 26 (2011).

2015/16 looks like setting new milestones, partly because one rider is going to try to do them all, and there is a group attempt at the 2B (very Hamlet like if you ask me).  I am going to try to set up some new 100k routes for next year (even hillier than the last ones!) when I remember to send the details to the Permanent Secretary's correct email address.

Enjoy the rides and just remember, if there is one ride to rule them, one ride to bind them, one ride to find them all, and in the darkness bind them, it is indeed the Cambrian 4C with its generous 34k overdistance and 650m understatement of ascent (and that's on the contour count - you can probably Everest this ride on Strava), which is just begging for its 4th completion and second on my watch; epic adventures guaranteed.

« Reply #439 on: 11 October, 2015, 01:16:14 am »
CET, would you be up for putting sample gpx files on the AUK web site if people provided the them?  Personally I think it's nicer to have gmap route overview and example gpx files on perms, and it may generate more interest...?

I really need to order some more brevets & do a few more of this series :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #440 on: 12 October, 2015, 04:49:42 pm »
I'll have a think about the gpx files.  The concern I have is that some of the routes that people have put together (from their descriptions on comments on this forum) are quite surprising and not what I would suggest.   Not being a GPS user I don't have technology to read and check the routes and would not want to publish something without checking.

However, I should be able to put in a link to a Gmap overview, and pick out an indicative route which riders can then get an idea of the routes.  It might take me a bit of time as I am insanely busy at work at the moment.

« Reply #441 on: 13 October, 2015, 11:16:31 pm »
Certainly for people outside the area just a gmap overview gives a nice starting point - though I know what you mean about gpx routes - one persons nice route is anothers hell!

Cheers

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #442 on: 14 October, 2015, 10:04:56 am »
Certainly for people outside the area just a gmap overview gives a nice starting point
:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #443 on: 24 October, 2015, 10:07:34 am »
Does anyone have a decent GPX file for the 2J?
Does not play well with others

« Reply #444 on: 24 October, 2015, 11:57:44 am »

funny you should ask that as it`s one of my `in waiting to ride `cards and I have put together a decent route methinks as here, comes in at 202.4 km so reckon it must be as close as can get. Nasty start out to Clun though via New Invention so you may not be thinking decent thoughts at that point  ;D

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5884716

« Reply #445 on: 25 October, 2015, 08:35:44 am »

funny you should ask that as it`s one of my `in waiting to ride `cards and I have put together a decent route methinks as here, comes in at 202.4 km so reckon it must be as close as can get. Nasty start out to Clun though via New Invention so you may not be thinking decent thoughts at that point  ;D

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5884716

Thanks James

If the winter weather holds off a little longer I'm thinking of this one for my Nov RRTY  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #446 on: 27 October, 2015, 12:38:20 pm »
anybody completed 6b with a ride report. Where would your sleeping options be, not done a 600 perm before thinking of doing it early next year (March/April).
nam dan on fb

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #447 on: 28 October, 2015, 08:54:26 am »
anybody completed 6b with a ride report. Where would your sleeping options be, not done a 600 perm before thinking of doing it early next year (March/April).

Where are you thinking of starting from - or does that depend on the sleeping options?

« Reply #448 on: 30 October, 2015, 09:06:59 am »
Chepstow, my plan is to get home from work on friday. Try to get an hours sleep and then get train to chepstow to start at midnight or earlier (There is a direct train from my village so works out quite well).
nam dan on fb

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #449 on: 15 November, 2015, 10:16:42 pm »
Certainly for people outside the area just a gmap overview gives a nice starting point - though I know what you mean about gpx routes - one persons nice route is anothers hell!

Cheers

GMaps loaded for all the 100 and 200 rides as website links.  The 2G gave me a surprise as it is possible to do it in 120 miles.  So from now on instead of Conwy riders will need to use Penamaenmawr or Llandudno instead of Conwy.  Penmaenmawr via the Sychnant pass would be in keeping with the Cambrian Series ethic of interesting hills.