Author Topic: Indie music and 'Have you heard of...'  (Read 14427 times)

bikenerd

Re: Indie music and 'Have you heard of...'
« Reply #50 on: 06 January, 2009, 12:30:55 pm »
I'm currently listening to Beach House, which could be called Nu-gaze! :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 06 January, 2009, 01:33:42 pm »
Dear Mr McGee,
Please find enclosed the latest demo from Liquid Greek. Derided by the mainstream as shoe-gazing also-rans, the band have nevertheless persevered with their off-kilter-or-nothing policy in the hope that someone like your good self will eventually realise, and thus promote, this violent yet ultimately beautiful genre which we have dubbed ‘new noise’. The first track is based upon the high-pitched lamentations of an unbalanced Lincoln woman, who nurses injured buzzards back to health inside her dead child’s wardrobe. We hope you like it.
Yours sincerely,
Liquid Greek
PS - We don’t like sport of any kind, and friends at school were very much thin on the ground
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #52 on: 06 January, 2009, 06:37:11 pm »
A nu-gaze meets Screamadelica-era Primal Scream tip: The Big Pink - in particular their track:

Too Young to Love

There's a club night/record label that promotes all things shoegazey: Sonic Cathedral

Newer stuff often adds a more electronica-based sound in addition to the guitar.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #53 on: 06 January, 2009, 07:05:27 pm »
I'm fond of a lot of American indie-ish stuff:

Built to Spill
Radar Bros
The Grifters
Ween
Big Black
Palace Brothers
Pinback
Sebadoh

to name but a few.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #54 on: 08 January, 2009, 01:08:04 am »
Don't know if she qualifies, but Hope Sandoval.........
Aaaaaaaaaaaah..........

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #55 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »
Somewhere in my CD collection (now all ripped to MP3) lurk The Young Gods, Pale Saints and numerous other 4AD bands, Furniture, Snuff etc etc.

The Pale Saints! One of my favourites from that time, along with Ultra Vivid Scene and Galaxie 500. I went to school with a guy who was related to the owner of 4AD, so he used to get all the stuff before release...  we were way too cool for school ;D

CD collection?  I still have these on cassette from the early 90s  :thumbsup:

bikenerd

« Reply #56 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:55:07 pm »
Don't know if she qualifies, but Hope Sandoval.........
Aaaaaaaaaaaah..........

Tony, you know of Mazzy Star, don't you?

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #57 on: 09 January, 2009, 01:56:38 pm »
Somewhere in my CD collection (now all ripped to MP3) lurk The Young Gods, Pale Saints and numerous other 4AD bands, Furniture, Snuff etc etc.

The Pale Saints! One of my favourites from that time, along with Ultra Vivid Scene and Galaxie 500. I went to school with a guy who was related to the owner of 4AD, so he used to get all the stuff before release...  we were way too cool for school ;D

CD collection?  I still have these on cassette from the early 90s  :thumbsup:

Seen Pale Saints and Furniture live, and both were excellent. 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #61 on: 09 January, 2009, 09:15:58 pm »
Quickspace

The Death Of Quickspace – Quickspace – Discover music at Last.fm

I remember when they were called Quickspace Supersport and one of my friends (who was a member of super indie group Ligament) shared a flat with one of them.

« Reply #62 on: 09 January, 2009, 09:17:55 pm »
Lived in Stoke Newington, didn't they?

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #63 on: 09 January, 2009, 09:20:54 pm »
Lived in Stoke Newington, didn't they?

This was in Camberwell.  A guy called Shilton, possibly the drummer.

« Reply #64 on: 09 January, 2009, 09:23:16 pm »
OK, I thought they were from Stokey - definitely did a few gigs in the area anyway. Stokey has had, for a long time, quite an interesting alternative music scene.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #65 on: 09 January, 2009, 09:54:15 pm »
The Blue Aeroplanes
Swans
Bob Mould
Pop Will Eat Itself
Eat
Jesus Jones (pre EMI)
Something Happens
The Cult (Beggars Banquet)
Mary My Hope

I could go on...and on....etc  8)

gonzo

« Reply #66 on: 28 July, 2009, 10:42:56 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UnqvjD7Kxs4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UnqvjD7Kxs4&rel=1</a>
Great pianos!

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #67 on: 29 July, 2009, 06:39:04 pm »
School of Seven Bells

Particularly the tracks My Cabal & Iamundernodisguise. The Alpinisms album is available on Spotify.

Probably of interest to fans of Low & similar artists
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #68 on: 30 July, 2009, 12:11:04 am »
Proper "indie" isn't a genre of music, it's an ethos.

Blur vs Oasis didn't totally kill indie, it just moved student-oriented guitar rock into the mainstream (including the Stereophonics, unfortunately, not to mention Shed Seven), so what was left to fly the flag for true indie music was the really interesting experimental stuff.

There is still true "indie" music about (look at Warp's online Bleep store, for example, to see how the indie ethos manifests itself these days - it's not all about myspace, spotify and itunes, none of which are really "indie" anyway) but that's not what this thread is about, is it? It seems to be more about a bunch of old fogeys reminiscing about the stuff they were listening to 20 years ago, in the same way that in the 80s my dad would reminisce about 60s music. Do you realise how old it makes you all sound?

Christ, I was as much of a shoegazer as anyone in 1991 - I still own all the early Ride and Slowdive EPs on vinyl - but I like to think I've moved on a bit since then.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

bikenerd

« Reply #69 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:38:26 pm »
Shoegaze is back in a big way, with some cross over from 1990s "intelligent" dance music (IDM).
Bands like Engineers and artists like Ulrich Schnaus and Fennesz are big fans of Slowdive! :)

I'm currently listening to The Pains of Being Pure at Heart which, like Glasvegas, draw on C86 indie, girl groups and (in this case) Belle and Sebastian.  Good stuff.  :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #70 on: 31 July, 2009, 03:47:00 pm »
Bands like Engineers and artists like Ulrich Schnaus and Fennesz are big fans of Slowdive! :)

Engineers are great, and a lot more interesting than Slowdive ever were (even though they don't have a pretty girl band member). I have only a passing acquaintance with Ulrich Schnaus and Fennesz but I like what I've heard. I get most of my music recommendations from Radcliffe & Maconie on Radio 2 - which I suspect means I've completely lost touch with the cutting edge of new sounds. I've recently "discovered" TV On The Radio, but it pains me to learn that they've already been around long enough to have put four or five albums out.

I'm currently listening to The Pains of Being Pure at Heart which, like Glasvegas, draw on C86 indie, girl groups and (in this case) Belle and Sebastian.  Good stuff.  :thumbsup:

Hmm, I don't like Glasvegas at all, but being a big B&S fan, I shall check out TPOBPAH. Cheers.

I'm currently enjoying the work of The Phenomenal Handclap Band very much - rock with a serious funk edge. A bit like Ladytron but less electronicy.

The Joy Formidable are great too.

d.

border-rider

« Reply #71 on: 31 July, 2009, 08:17:38 pm »

Hmm, I don't like Glasvegas at all, but being a big B&S fan, I shall check out TPOBPAH. Cheers.

I'm currently enjoying the work of The Phenomenal Handclap Band very much - rock with a serious funk edge. A bit like Ladytron but less electronicy.

The Joy Formidable are great too.

d.

I guess you've been listening to Radcliffe & Maconie ?  All those names feature on their shows...

citoyen

« Reply #72 on: 31 July, 2009, 11:07:11 pm »
I guess you've been listening to Radcliffe & Maconie ?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the first part of the answer I gave some moments ago.

d.

border-rider

« Reply #73 on: 31 July, 2009, 11:25:11 pm »
Oh yeah  ;D

still dozy post 3 days with little sleep.  sorry.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #74 on: 11 August, 2009, 02:09:49 am »
How about "The Low Anthem"? Moves from dreamy, etheral Bon Iver-esque folk to thrashy gipsy punk a la Gogol Bordello