Author Topic: How much are you riding?  (Read 24062 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: How much are you riding?
« Reply #125 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:26:05 am »
Varying amounts,  some on zwift  some on the road,  have just about kept my 2020 distance ahead of previous years,  but that will be broken soon,  as May is the month of 600km events usually.

Got a 100 mile ride on on Saturday,  filled up the camelback with water and food before starting,  and didn't need to buy anything on the way.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #126 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:16:36 pm »
A lot less than usual.  Am on about 780 miles so far this year, whereas normally by mid May I would be on about 2000.  I have, on the other hand, rowed almost 500,000 metres on my indoor rower, whereas normally by mid May I would have rowed 50,000.  So cycling is at 35% of normal and rowing is at 1000% of normal.  No doubt the statistically challenged would now claim that I have been doing much more exercise under lockdown than normal.   ;D ;D :facepalm:

I have, however, with reference to not travelling too far from home, carrying on social distancing, but being allowed to exercise as much as you like (if that was what Sunday did actually say?), used Ride with GPS to prove that I can ride 300km in a continuous loop without intersections or crossings around the borough of Basingstoke and Deane staying pretty much on rural roads.  Another of those great ideas that will probably never be ridden but was fun composing.   O:-)

No, it isn't. If you live in England, it never did. However, in the flurry of clarifications yesterday we were told that we could leave home to exercise as long and as many times as we want, and we can go wherever we want (within England) to do it. I suspect that guidance may be made a bit more restrictive as the implications are better understood but, for now, you are completely free to ride where, and for as long as, you want.

« Reply #127 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:47:39 pm »
This seems to be the clearest guidance so far:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

"
 1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?

No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance. You shouldn’t travel with someone from outside your household unless you can practise social distancing - for example by cycling. Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home is not allowed.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #128 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:51:12 pm »
Good grief that doesn't mean anything to me. I don't plan on doing bike rides with friends. But from the above it seems like it's within the letter of the law.

The absolute state of this muddled gobbledigook.

The most recent wheeze I've seen is cab drivers hanging translucent plastic between their seat and the back, which does a terrific job of obscuring the rear view mirror.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

rob

« Reply #129 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:53:15 pm »
OK, so my 600 DIY perm that stops at my Mum's house for dinner and a kip I a no-no, but my drive t Romney Marsh to train on my TT bike for a few hours looks like it's fine.

« Reply #130 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:54:02 pm »
None of this is spelled out in the law, and it rarely ever is.

The law doesn't say anything about social distancing for example.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #131 on: 12 May, 2020, 02:29:47 pm »
OK, so my 600 DIY perm that stops at my Mum's house for dinner and a kip I a no-no, but my drive t Romney Marsh to train on my TT bike for a few hours looks like it's fine.

You could do the perm, wave hello through the window, and then ride back.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

S2L

« Reply #132 on: 12 May, 2020, 02:50:44 pm »

Fine... is it the right time to have this conversation though?

Basically what you are saying is that if you can afford to pay a lawyer, then you can do pretty much as you please, whereas if you can't, then you have to stick to the guidelines...

I'd say let's all stick to the guidelines for the greater good and leave the lawyers out of the picture

« Reply #133 on: 12 May, 2020, 02:56:27 pm »

Fine... is it the right time to have this conversation though?

Basically what you are saying is that if you can afford to pay a lawyer, then you can do pretty much as you please, whereas if you can't, then you have to stick to the guidelines...

No, that's not what I was saying.

What I was saying was that many people are justifying their actions as "there's nothing in the law to prevent me from doing it" despite there being strong hints in the guidance not to do those things. That's rather a different viewpoint.

Things will shift a bit from tomorrow (in England at least).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #134 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:08:24 pm »
A lot less than usual.  Am on about 780 miles so far this year, whereas normally by mid May I would be on about 2000.  I have, on the other hand, rowed almost 500,000 metres on my indoor rower, whereas normally by mid May I would have rowed 50,000.  So cycling is at 35% of normal and rowing is at 1000% of normal.  No doubt the statistically challenged would now claim that I have been doing much more exercise under lockdown than normal.   ;D ;D :facepalm:

I have, however, with reference to not travelling too far from home, carrying on social distancing, but being allowed to exercise as much as you like (if that was what Sunday did actually say?), used Ride with GPS to prove that I can ride 300km in a continuous loop without intersections or crossings around the borough of Basingstoke and Deane staying pretty much on rural roads.  Another of those great ideas that will probably never be ridden but was fun composing.   O:-)

No, it isn't. If you live in England, it never did. However, in the flurry of clarifications yesterday we were told that we could leave home to exercise as long and as many times as we want, and we can go wherever we want (within England) to do it. I suspect that guidance may be made a bit more restrictive as the implications are better understood but, for now, you are completely free to ride where, and for as long as, you want.

To be honest, I'm having more fun tweaking the route to eke out every extra few hundred metres on RwGPS than I would actually riding it. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

rob

« Reply #135 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:12:49 pm »

Wouldn’t be the same without a warm bed and cake.  I have been known to post clean kit up.  Spoilt ? Moi ?

« Reply #136 on: 12 May, 2020, 10:54:15 pm »

Wouldn’t be the same without a warm bed and cake.  I have been known to post clean kit up.  Spoilt ? Moi ?

I once attempted a DIY 400 down to my in-laws (Cornwall) that stopped at my parents at the ~200km mark. I'd planned on having a shower, something nice to eat and a quick couple of hours kip before heading off again in the very early morning (I was trying to time it to reach Dartmoor at dawn).

The reality was that my parents had just had their kitchen and bathroom floors retiled and both were off limits. No shower and no food. I was also an hour and a half later than I'd planned and so the fish and chips they'd kindly bought for me was a little cold (and no way to heat it up again). Once I was up again I think I managed another 40km before I bailed.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #137 on: 13 May, 2020, 11:28:25 am »

To be honest, I'm having more fun tweaking the route to eke out every extra few hundred metres on RwGPS than I would actually riding it. 

;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #138 on: 15 May, 2020, 10:20:53 am »

;D

It's reached 344km and would need major surgery to find much more.  The route looks a little bit like a Jackson Pollock design for a Mobius Strip.  With all the junctions and a surprising amount of climbing, I'd need pretty much all the daylight on June 21 to get round it and perhaps then some.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #139 on: 15 May, 2020, 01:54:14 pm »
This sounds as though it should be known as the Covid-19 salesman problem? 8)

« Reply #140 on: 20 May, 2020, 01:05:23 pm »
When I passed the bottom of the Zig Zag up Box Hill yesterday I checked the closure details.  The council has extended the closure for all non-residential traffic for six months from 1st May.  So it's now out for the rest of the season (and then some.)   ;-(

Regards.

The Zig Zag road was open today - lots of cyclists (both roadies and parents with young kids) and walkers. No cafe, but a lot of very posh-looking picnics.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #141 on: 20 May, 2020, 01:51:43 pm »
It's been open since Sunday at least.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #142 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:16:47 pm »
Thanks guys - some rare good news in the midst of this gruesome lockdown.  Hoping it stays open on the Bank Holiday.

Regards.

At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #143 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:09:26 pm »
I've got to go into the office to reboot my desktop machine (not particularly urgent but there are some files on there I'd like to get hold of).

So it means I might have to dig out a bike and cycle into work and back.

Good news is I can use one of the faster bikes as I don't need to take clothes/etc in. Just need to make sure I take enough tools to be self-sufficient - don't want to have to end up needing to use public transport.

[EDIT] Boo, one of the security guards is going to do it for me. No need to go in now.

« Reply #144 on: 27 May, 2020, 02:52:43 am »
I’ve been lucky enough to get plenty of (legal, socially distant) rides in during lockdown... which means my preparations for LEL2021 are continuing. I’ve missed a planned 300k ride and a 400k ride, but I substituted the latter with a DIY solo 200k on bank holiday Monday - you can see how I got on here: https://youtu.be/3fC3UXmS2LE

rob

« Reply #145 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:03:27 am »
I cracked and did a 200 mile ride round the corners of Kent on Bank Holiday.   Absolutely wonderful day out and something I needed mentally and physically.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #146 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:01:23 pm »
I'm very much hoping to do a proper long day around the Solstice (i.e. nearest weekend?) I'm less than 150km from the coast, and I've always wanted to get a 300 done in daylight, so that can be the challenge, rather than chasing those ESSENTIAL 3 points ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #147 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:04:12 pm »
Solstice in 2020 is on June 20 (that's a Saturday)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #148 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:40:11 pm »
Solstice in 2020 is on June 20 (that's a Saturday)
Oh cool, thanks. (I do always assume it's the 21st. Stupidly.)

(I have also considered riding down to see sunrise over Avebury or Stonehenge. That would mean a VERY pre-dawn start, sadly! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

How much are you riding?
« Reply #149 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:41:12 pm »
I'm very much hoping to do a proper long day around the Solstice (i.e. nearest weekend?) I'm less than 150km from the coast, and I've always wanted to get a 300 done in daylight, so that can be the challenge, rather than chasing those ESSENTIAL 3 points ;)
I’d like to do similar - preferably Holyhead and back (108 miles each way) but I need the Welsh govt. to relax its lockdown rules to make that route a goer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk