Author Topic: Giro 2018  (Read 39983 times)

Re: Giro 2018
« Reply #50 on: 25 May, 2018, 09:13:56 pm »
Quite a stage.  Go on Froomey win all three!  OK, actually it'd be good if Dumoulin won Le Tour.  Tomorrow's a biggy.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #51 on: 25 May, 2018, 09:14:08 pm »

You can achieve anything with a combination of the right pillows and beetroot juice.

Is this from the advice section in Cosmopolitan?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #52 on: 25 May, 2018, 09:36:53 pm »
Though some of time gain on the descent off Finestre could be ascribed to the Dumoulin group waiting for Reichenbach...
So Dumoulin falls because of Reichenbach?

I'll get my coat....
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #54 on: 25 May, 2018, 09:55:34 pm »
https://twitter.com/LottoJumbo_road/status/1000105610489286662?s=19

"He did a Landis"

(for those that don't get the inference, Landis did something remarkably similar in 2006...only to test positive later that evening)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #55 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:37:00 pm »
3 minutes slower than Santambrogio and Nibali in 2014, in far worse weather conditions.

Santambrogio! I'd forgotten all about him. ISTR that was the year he suddenly started winning everything in sight, and was making everyone else at the Giro look slow... Everyone was soooooo surprised when he got busted.

Wasn't he a team-mate of 'Killer' Di Luca? They were a rum bunch and no mistake.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #56 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:38:30 pm »

You can achieve anything with a combination of the right pillows and beetroot juice.

Is this from the advice section in Cosmopolitan?

If not, it should be.

citoyen

« Reply #57 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:39:05 pm »
I'm sure I heard the commentator refering to Ron Dennis and Pots of Evil.

I definitely heard Ron Dennis mentioned, although Sean Kelly always calls him Ronan Dennis.

Kelly also seems to think Yates rides for Michelin-Scott (formerly Ulrika-Greenedge).

« Reply #58 on: 26 May, 2018, 07:03:01 am »
Wow, I thought Morzine was the most impressive bit of bike racing in the last 20 years but that beats it. Landis succeeded because no-one thought he'd make it, I reckon TD thought the same on the descent. To quote Greg Lemond "unbelievable", but bugger me it was entertaining.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #59 on: 26 May, 2018, 07:34:25 am »

I definitely heard Ron Dennis mentioned, although Sean Kelly always calls him Ronan Dennis.

Kelly also seems to think Yates rides for Michelin-Scott (formerly Ulrika-Greenedge).

In his excitement at one point yesterday Kelly mentioned the group of Pozzitivo.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #60 on: 26 May, 2018, 07:40:47 am »

« Reply #61 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:10:04 am »
Anyway, dodgy Froome apart it's been an exciting race. And it's not over, Froome burnt a lot of matches yesterday and today the boot will probably be on the other foot. Dumoulin's team will be putting on the Pain.

Yates? Didn't conserve his energy. Inexperience. But he is a future GT contender. Thursday was where it all fell apart and the other teams noticed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:14:10 am »

In his excitement at one point yesterday Kelly mentioned the group of Pozzitivo.
Ron Dennis seems to crop up every couple of days, very distracting!

You can rely on King Kelly. BTW who is the current "kin kelly" I keep hearing references to ? Possibly team staff? Or an Italian rider not picked for the Giro?

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:18:02 am »
Anyway, dodgy Froome apart it's been an exciting race. And it's not over, Froome burnt a lot of matches yesterday and today the boot will probably be on the other foot. Dumoulin's team will be putting on the Pain.

Yates? Didn't conserve his energy. Inexperience. But he is a future GT contender. Thursday was where it all fell apart and the other teams noticed.
Yes, agree with all that.
( Although ... it's possible that he doesn't have the legs to beat Tom over 3 weeks, and being leader after 17 stages was the best he could have hoped for - and he got that, so thanks Simon for giving it a go  :thumbsup: )

[I do wonder how many people still find the race exciting, when all they talk about is Froome's "dodgy" antics. I do find this genuinely puzzling - look at how few actual race comments there are on this thread. Each to his own I guess ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:29:53 am »

Lol
They've put a lot of effort into that, good work!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #65 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:40:48 am »

Yes, agree with all that.
( Although ... it's possible that he doesn't have the legs to beat Tom over 3 weeks, and being leader after 17 stages was the best he could have hoped for - and he got that, so thanks Simon for giving it a go  :thumbsup: )

[I do wonder how many people still find the race exciting, when all they talk about is Froome's "dodgy" antics. I do find this genuinely puzzling - look at how few actual race comments there are on this thread. Each to his own I guess ... ]

He blew a lot of energy doing a few things he didn't need to do. You know from your own riding that you can only go into the red so many times.  He's had a great ride...he'll come back and win it sometime. It was the TT that killed him, but it kept him in pink for a few more days.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #66 on: 26 May, 2018, 10:09:28 am »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #67 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:37:48 am »

« Reply #68 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:47:11 am »

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #69 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:52:09 am »
Froome burnt a lot of matches but only the same amount as Dumoulin did to keep it to 40 seconds. Dumoulin towed 4 other riders for a third of the stage and looked cooked at the finish.

It was actually quite an unbelievable ride from Dumoulin as well.

I'll take the result at face value and let the authorities deal with any doping issues.  It was an amazing stage to watch live and, drugs or no drugs, it was still an historic 80km solo time-trial by Froome.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #70 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:52:33 am »

"He did a Landis"

(for those that don't get the inference, Landis did something remarkably similar in 2006...only to test positive later that evening)
Looks like the lawyers had a word! An hour later:

LottoNLJumbo Cycling

@LottoJumbo_road

Disclaimer to avoid any misinterpretation: this is not an insinuation, but a way to express the admiration for an exceptional achievement. Congratulations to Chris Froome and Team Sky.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #71 on: 26 May, 2018, 12:46:26 pm »

"He did a Landis"

Looks like the lawyers had a word! An hour later:

LottoNLJumbo Cycling

@LottoJumbo_road

Disclaimer to avoid any misinterpretation: this is not an insinuation, but a way to express the admiration for an exceptional achievement. Congratulations to Chris Froome and Team Sky.

Isn’t this what makes cycle racing such great fun;)

« Reply #72 on: 26 May, 2018, 12:55:33 pm »
It's a circus. It'd be great if everybody would accept that. It's like watching a film....suspension of disbelief is required.

« Reply #73 on: 26 May, 2018, 01:08:51 pm »
I'll take the result at face value and let the authorities deal with any doping issues.

But the authorities secretly dealt out the dope, legally all within the rules to the favoured rider(s) of course!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #74 on: 26 May, 2018, 01:24:42 pm »
I'll take the result at face value and let the authorities deal with any doping issues.

But the authorities secretly dealt out the dope, legally all within the rules to the favoured rider(s) of course!

Look, this is simple.  The reputation of professional cycling is shot.  Nobody can do anything special without the spectre of doping hanging over them.

I think it's irretrievably damaged actually.  Other sports just don't dig deep enough into doping* (presumably to stop their sport's reputation ending up the same way).

You either watch it, enjoy the special moments,  and let the authorities deal with the rules, for better or for worse, or don't watch it.  I don't see any point in continually watching it and continually bitching about it.

Or....has "guess the doper" become an intrinsic part of the enjoyment now?

It seems that, for some, enjoyment of pro cycling is inversely proportional to the performance of the top cyclists.  The more special the moment the more cynical, and miserable, the experience of the viewer.

*Jamaican sprint program.  Kenyan/Ethiopian long-distance.  Football, even Snooker FFS, etc etc.  I have a feeling that, if they spot-checked every professional sports person right now, a high percentage would be caught with something dodgy coursing through their veins.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.