Author Topic: 2015 colds and bugs  (Read 2295 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
2015 colds and bugs
« on: 09 May, 2015, 05:06:40 pm »
Hi,

I am sitting here with my second significant cold / bug since Christmas. Normally I do not really get these and if I do it does not bother me as much as others. There has been a number of people off work at various times and few have escaped them in the office.

So have I just been unlucky or has the start of 2015 been bad for bugs and colds.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Re: 2015 colds and bugs
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2015, 05:09:22 pm »
Well I've had loads, including one that is will be 2 months old at the end of the week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2015, 05:55:35 pm »
Can't remember getting anything.
I don't get out enough.
Maybe I'm immune, having been exposed to every snotty nose in Edgware for ages.

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2015, 06:35:28 pm »
I seem to have had a cold since October. Various people at work have been ill as well.
One poor chap has been off since January with what his doctor is apparently saying is a virus which is going around.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2015, 06:54:51 pm »
I have been fortunate enough to have suffered no infections for the entire winter. Mrs. Wow and Dez have been Snotting for England for the past 10 days or so. I expected to catch it but fortunately I didn't and I'm off to sing in a concert in a moment. Had I been infected I wouldn't have been.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2015, 06:59:04 pm »
Had nothing really bad this winter. Have felt under the weather a few times but it has never turned into a full on cold or flu. Mrs Pcolbeck has had loads of bugs but she does work in a primary school with loads of snotty kids.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2015, 07:54:45 pm »
Both Mrs M and I have had colds this winter. Mrs M first normally get dread diseases, but has been really poorly, particularity with the current infection - she's thinking she might have a chest infection. On the other hand, I generally get quite ill, but have only been' a bit off colour'.
But, we have a 15 month old granddaughter who has been very generous about sharing her snot.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2015, 08:50:59 pm »
I've had loads of colds and a bout of D&V since Christmas.  I also have a one-year old daughter who started nursery!

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2015, 08:52:27 pm »
I think it has been a bad year.  In January many people seemed to catch something that started as a sore throat and hung on as a cough for weeks.  I caught that one and have had two since, just got over one.  It is very unusual for me to catch anything as I do not generally surround myself with the general public.

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »
Some sort of cold-like/flu-like (but no muscle aches of the like) thing last month, with a very high temperature for a short time (mine hit 40.8C), nasty cough that lasted a while, & tiredness gradually diminishing for about two weeks afterwards.

Mrs B got it just under a week after me, not quite as bad. Her temperature peaked just below 40. Some of her colleagues have also had it. I came down with it four days after getting back from Japan.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2015, 09:16:47 pm »
It is two weeks until the Old 240 - I have asked to go on the Spurn Head as this will be less demanding (unless there is a howling wind and I get minced on the flat).

I am not used to being ill. I went years without a day off work - 8 in fact and then last year I had the heart thing (now fixed  :thumbsup:) and this year I have had two bugs.

Maybe it's just my age.

BB

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2015, 07:29:51 am »
Maybe it's just my age.

BB
No, it's not your age.  Everyone has ups and downs, especially when it comes to to 'flu and colds.  It can feel like a permanent state when you're in the middle of yet another bout, which is very depressing.  However, it will lift and you'll feel fine at some point in the future, when you'll also be a little older :).
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2015, 08:36:22 am »
Had a good year until Thursday this week, whereupon I woke feeling like someone had played football with my head then had applied sandpaper to my throat.

I went to see the doc and his face dropped when I ntold him about the sore throat. Apparently a sore throat is a cause for "get thee to the doctors NOW" when you are on Methatrexate. One rushed visit to the local hospital later for a blood test and I am still none the wiser as to if there is an issue, but the cold has passed.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2015, 12:42:24 pm »
Had a good year until Thursday this week, whereupon I woke feeling like someone had played football with my head then had applied sandpaper to my throat.

I went to see the doc and his face dropped when I ntold him about the sore throat. Apparently a sore throat is a cause for "get thee to the doctors NOW" when you are on Methatrexate. One rushed visit to the local hospital later for a blood test and I am still none the wiser as to if there is an issue, but the cold has passed.

I think (but could be wrong) that methotrexate can drop the white blood cell count and sore throat can be a feature of this.

I suspect if your blood test was normal, people would not rush to contact you.

So I'd guess you had a normal blood count and some pretty unremarkable virus.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2015, 01:55:51 pm »

I have never been told that about Methotrexate.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »

I have never been told that about Methotrexate.

It is something to take note of (having re-read the leaflet it does mention it) Helly is right, it can reduce your white blood cell count (as any immunosuppressant will), hence the need for a blood test (for cell count).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State