Author Topic: Wood floors - office chair wheels advice  (Read 749 times)

Wood floors - office chair wheels advice
« on: 13 August, 2023, 09:42:05 am »
We just got a new engineered wood floor. (Yeah I had to have a boat about it)
In my spare room I have a standing desk and a five wheel office chair.
I bought a new set of urethane wheels which are said to be good for hard floors.I am still concerned abotu pressure on the boards and potential splitting.
What is the advice on mats to spread the load please?

We had carpets and eventually the office chair opened up a seam in the carpet, which did not look good at all.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Wood floors - office chair wheels advice
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2023, 10:08:27 am »
I have a carpet protector in my office. You can get them for parquet as well, e.g. click

Over time they can develop indentations under the casters - mine has. Trivial though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2023, 11:25:02 am »
I have a rug. I think it cost £8 from Ikea. I think they had one for 50p, but I'm posh like that. I've put a fair few dents in the floor from the simultaneous application of advanced clumsiness and heavy objects in an environment dominated by gravity. Never split one though. It was according to the sales blurb when we bought it already 'distressed' for that funky urban loft look I guess. I don't fear my metrosexuality, I accept it. Ask me about my pink shoes.

« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2023, 07:46:50 am »
Ian, tell us about your pink shoes. Do they have SPD cleats?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2023, 12:09:04 pm »
I have a carpet protector in my office. You can get them for parquet as well, e.g. click

Over time they can develop indentations under the casters - mine has. Trivial though.

You can get them made from polycarbonate rather than PVC.  The main advantage is disinclination toward curling at the edges, but I expect it helps with indentations too.  Mine certainly shows no sign of developing indentations, and does a splendid job of evening out the pits and troughs of the Victorian floorboards in a way that the landlord-quality carpet is singularly incapable of.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2023, 01:39:22 pm »
We just got a new engineered wood floor. (Yeah I had to have a boat about it)
In my spare room I have a standing desk and a five wheel office chair.
I bought a new set of urethane wheels which are said to be good for hard floors.I am still concerned abotu pressure on the boards and potential splitting.
What is the advice on mats to spread the load please?

We had carpets and eventually the office chair opened up a seam in the carpet, which did not look good at all.
We have engineered wood and it is perfectly able to withstand [my vast weight on] an office chair. I didn't think to put a protector down at the start of lockdown and the surface is now peppered with lots of little dents where specks of something or other have been rolled over. But there's no sign of fundamental damage. A carpet would certainly have suffered by now.
Not especially helpful or mature