Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 104046 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #275 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:20:37 am »
Very nicely done!

(that follow-the-canoe game is fun, isn't it?)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

JJ

« Reply #276 on: 07 September, 2010, 12:08:54 am »
Well done Mike.  We were thinking of you on Saturday.  Must have been perishing first thing.

So what next?

« Reply #277 on: 07 September, 2010, 07:44:19 am »
So what next?

learn to run...  No more races this year, we're away for the next 4 weekends then it's season over.  Some 10ks over the winter, perhaps a 1/2 mara., then see what shape I'm in come the spring :)

« Reply #278 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:44:56 am »
I got a nice missive the other day - email from British Triathlon to say I'd been selected in Great Britain Age Group Team for the 2010 Edinburgh ITU Duathlon World Championships. 

Thirteen weeks to go, and I'm not currently running due to achilles pain - but I'm sure it will be fine!!

The Championships was last weekend and what a wonderful event to be part of.  A real step up from anything I've done before - athletes from all over the world, US had the biggest team (after GB), NZ, Brazil, RSA, Japan, we had a team manager, team briefing, all the trimmings!

Unfortunately my achilles/calf couldn't cope with all the excitement and gave up after about 1K of the first run so I  did the rest of it on one leg - not recommended.  I was sore all the way round (that kind of slightly sick to your stomach thing you get with an injury), but ti was never quite bad enough to make me drop out. Finished last in my age group, but frankly I don't care - I've been to a World Champs, represented my country   ;D

Got the taste for it now - next year WC is in Spain, so plan to rebuild over the winter and qualify again - think I can do it.

I've written a longer race report if anyone is interested?

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #279 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:47:59 am »
Well done.  Sorry to hear about the injury, but you know you've done well to finish.

Good luck for Spain!
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #280 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:50:02 am »
Well done, Rich!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #281 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:59:37 am »

I've written a longer race report if anyone is interested?

yes!  Huge congratulations on getting selected, bad luck on the injury, hope it's nothing permanent. I saw some updates on TriTalk about it, looks like an amazing event to be part of.

JJ

« Reply #282 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:08:13 am »
AIUI it was 5 times up and down Arthur's seat  :o.  That sounds tough, and the people from Helen's club who did it said it was one of the hardest.

I just put her on a plane to Budapest. <Proud>

« Reply #283 on: 09 September, 2010, 11:59:40 am »
All the best to Helen, hope she has a blast. Are you not able to get along?  Shame!

Report ...

Great event to be part of, real step up from anything I'd done before.  Starting with "race briefing" on Friday, going over the course, spelling out rules (eg 2 mins in the sin-bin for drafting), no disk wheels etc.  Bit different to turning up to something in the Borders, but then I guess it is a world champs. Able to practice on the bike course in the evening, pretty much as I expected, 5x8.3k laps, total of 650m climbing and quite broken up with dead turn, roundabouts so not easy to get a rhythm. Fast twisty descent demands and rewards  control, could be scary if folks behave badly.  Claimed to be the toughest ever bike course for WC, and I could believe that, tho' the run course is more straightforward with one steady hill up and down per 2.5K lap.

Vignette to confirm national stereotypes - to reccy the course  the Italians formed up precisely, immaculate kit (gleaming white with red and green accents) and rigid discipline.  Wonderful!

My buildup went well, early to bed, good sleep, wake at 5, warm bath, drive in with hotwater bottle on calf to keep as warm as possible, park close to course, ride down, bike in transition area, get a spot in athletes lounge (another nice touch, a big tent with chairs and secure space to leave your kit). Warm up feeling twinges in calf but try to overlook them.  Early morning mist and calm conditions are ideal.

Race starts, us 55-59 year-olds are in with young guns, 18-29 yo, so lots of folk go off fast, I'm happy to jog early on before getting up to speed.  Maybe 200 runners in our wave so not crowded at all on the course. Flat to start then steady rise to turn after 1.25K, back down the hill to turn and repeat. Calf niggled all the way up, but by the start of the second lap I knew I wasn't racing anymore - actually probably earlier than that.- and from there onwards I was contemplating dropping out pretty much every step of the way. Achilles itself was tender but main problem was into the calf which had locked solid and wouldn't loosen at all. So all forward motion was really from right leg and just rolling over the left. Oddly enough downhill was worse than uphill, dunno why.  Got lapped by leaders, and that set the pattern for the rest of the day - once you were on the course the multiple waves (off every hour or so) meant you never really knew what the race position was.

Hoped bike leg would ease it off, but not really.  By end of second lap I wasn't happy putting any weight on it - eg when descending you press down on outside leg to control through a turn?  well, didn't want to do that on left leg so lost speed at the bottom of the descent and of course that stuff just builds up so you are losing time all over the place.  My confidence went a lot, so I was braking when I wouldn't normally which was not a good idea on that course!

I've dropped out of things before without worrying too much but for some reason I didn't want to dnf in this race - partly I suppose it was never so bad to make me cry, tho' I did feel slightly sick with discomfort all the way round. Just didn't feel bad enough to justify dropping out - reckoned I could explain finishing last better than not finishing at all ;-)

Walked maybe 20% of 5k run, limped/hobbled the rest. Crowd was great, I got lots of claps and encouragement ("Go GB"!!, weird, but another example of the step up.).  Didn't feel particularly tired after the race, just beaten up.  Met Paul McGreal from Peebles CC, Race Director  who was supportive, made me feel a lot better about finishing, just what I needed.  Had a massage, best 10 quid I ever spent, he found some real sore spots in shin and quads, but just stroked the calf, which was fine.

Hobbled about Sunday, went to postrace party, another example of the step up, 100s of athletes from all over the world, US, Canada, RSA, NZ, Japan, Brazil, felt great to be part of.  Bruising is starting to appear - guess muscle is torn and this is the blood seeping out.

Good news was that I didn't feel out of my depth, pretty arrogant thing to say but feel that I'f I'd been fit and healthy I could have finished in a reasonable position.  Next year event is in Spain, and i definitely fancy another crack at it, so let the dust settle and then on with fixing the body and getting fit over the winter - bring it on!!

Apologies if this sounds like moaning - it was a wonderful experience, I knew there was a fair chance that I'd have problems but reckoned the risk was worth taking - it's a World Champs, after all, Physio thinks she can help a lot by working in and around the core so I didn't believe there would be any long term bad effects,

JJ

« Reply #284 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:08:12 pm »
Yes indeed, you had to give it a go.  Shame it didn't work out though.  Treat it as learning, and start the healing process now, ready for next time.  Henceforth you are an international athlete

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #285 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »
This place is getting stuffed with 'em! 

Top flag-flying, Rich, that course has a reputation as a right bugger.  Keep that GB strip clean for Spain.  :thumbsup:

And good luck Helen!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #286 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »
Budapest will be on telly:

The elite men’s race will be shown live on the BBC Red Button this Saturday 11 September from 11.55am with highlights on BBC1 from 3.20pm. The elite women’s race will be shown live on the BBC Red Button on Sunday 12 September from 1pm with highlights from 4.00pm on BBC2.

JJ

« Reply #287 on: 12 September, 2010, 12:32:08 pm »
2.22.03, 46th in 35-39 group. (#1760)  Dun good!
She told me yesterday that there is a bit of a GB medal fest going on.

(I sitting in departures, headed for Florida.  Shan't get to see the afferleet till Friday)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #288 on: 12 September, 2010, 05:59:00 pm »
Woohoo!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #289 on: 12 September, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »
brilliant!!

« Reply #290 on: 14 September, 2010, 05:21:48 pm »
Excellent, big congratulations.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #291 on: 10 December, 2010, 11:03:04 pm »
I'm kicked back into tri-thinking by these guys: Freak Events are new, and South West, and their proposed May 15th race at Roadford Lake, Okehampton looks tasty as a battered haggis pizza.  Roadford's a reservoir that doesn't get enough swim action, and the surrounding course will be lumpsome and bumply (moi luvly).  Sprint and Oly.  Spendy, but with awesomeness potential.  And it doesn't clash with our Club race, the week before.

Now where did I put those running shorts?

« Reply #292 on: 10 December, 2010, 11:21:38 pm »
Just had 2nd date with new lady friend. She's trying to persuade me to do a triathlon. She's not having to try very hard.

Also have agreed to have a crack at the OMM next year. Wish me luck...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #293 on: 13 December, 2010, 10:40:18 am »
The 7Oaks Triathlon to be held on Sunday 10th April 2011 has now sold out.  The waitlist is also full.

Bugger.  :(

I'd put myself on the emailing list to be notified when entries opened but I was skint at the time and it's a popular event...

Any recommendations for other decent events for novices in the southeast (preferably Kent) in spring/early summer?

I've pretty much given up on thoughts of PBP (largely on cost grounds) so I'll focus my efforts on training for a triathlon in 2011.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #294 on: 02 January, 2011, 05:45:16 pm »
Seems we have a brand new triathlon club around here with lots of new events to have a look see in the summer. Sound as if they mean it.

NiceTri - Events
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

JJ

« Reply #295 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »
That's my cherry gone then!  http://www.waldentri.co.uk/our-events/wt11-walden-sprint-triathlon
Interesting. Waiting for results.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #296 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »
Yay!

JJ

« Reply #297 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:33:25 am »
Ride-report slightly edited from the one I put on the club forum.

I was the third club novice on Sunday.

I wanted to try a triathlon as an antidote to my usual long slow cycling, and to see what all the fuss is about in the family. This one seemed to tick all the boxes, being easy to get to and short enough at 750m, 25k and 5k that I should be able to manage the swim without drowning and the run without expiring. My main aim was to finish in reasonable order, without being the comedy entry.

I creep out of the house on Sunday morning, with a day-pack full of gear, too much gear I later discover, and pedal away on Mrs J's bike. It's really a sportive bike, carbon frame and triple ring for fat old boys to climb on, and a mix of Shimano and Campag components. I'd fitted some cheap clip-on tri-bars and plastic covers on the back wheel to make it look more the part, and I'm ashamed to say that's how Helen has been racing on it. She even has to borrow my cycling shoes. For Sunday it got a "boy" saddle and one less spacer under the stem but that's it.

I trundle quietly down to Saffron Walden, very impressed by the speed of people warming up on the Newport road. They later turned out to be TT-ing. First impression on arriving is wow! All that kit, so much carbon and so many fit people. All a far cry from my usual world of ancient bikes and scruffy old saddle bags. Second impression was of the purposeful air and general helpfulness of everyone, from marshals and helpers to other competitors. That friendliness was evident all day and made a real impression.

After check-in and an astonishing amount of pfaffing in the transition area, laying out and re-laying out my shoes, shirt, number belt, HRM belt, gel tubes, helmet, I am finally told that it really IS time to get out now, and so begins the waiting, and the worrying. What gear did I leave the bike in? Should I have taped a gel on after all? Will I find the bike again?

Spend most of the next hour and a half watching to see how others go through transition, without actually learning much, and finally it's time to get ready. Stash my stuff on top of the swim lockers, am issued a chip and in no time I'm in the water and off for what turns out to be a pretty uneventful swim. No heroics. One overtake, and once overtaken, then a float shoved against my nose so I can't miss it. Out of the water, feeling dizzy and a little confused, and sort of jog-shamble round the building to the tennis court, sorry, transition. Number 89 from my wave just ahead of me. Head gradually clearing, find the bike easily. Shoes on, HRM on, other competitors arriving and departing as I fiddle around, shirt on. It doesn't usually take this long to get dressed. Helmet on, grab the bike and go. Over the line, step on a pedal and swing on. Worry about clipping in later.

Straight away there's another rider in front. Clip in and chase, out of the saddle and go for it. I'd recce'd the bike course last weekend and reckoned I just had to hammer up to the barracks, and then let gravity do it's job to bring me round again. Caught one outside the school and the next before the T junction. Quick glance right, and go left, chasing one rider after another to the top. Lungs fairly bursting. Brief respite down a short hill. How tight is this bend? Will I get round? Just about, and up again. Feeling pretty awful by the time the road leveled off, then it was down on the tri-bars and spin. Remember to drink, then brake for the bottom. Just made it round inside the bollards and start all over again. Hammer up. HRM still not registering, so that was a waste of precious time. This time, unclip and brake a bit more into the final roundabout to keep tight left on the exit. Stand on one pedal and swing over before turning in and jump off before the line. The momentum carries me past guess who? Number 89. He says something encouraging, racks his bike and is gone while I rack mine the wrong way, the right way, fumble and curse, and set off after him.

Then it's that hill. Suddenly it's HOT and I'm huffing and puffing up the grass behind the housing estate, number 89 disappearing from view. Legs don't want to play. No rhythm, no spring, no zip. The run turns into a jog and semi-consciously I'm holding back, just a little. I'm no longer sure of myself. There goes Chris on his way home, with a cheery wave, looking quick. I don't know how far I've gone, how far still to go, but here's the turn, as one runner then another overtakes me. Back through the hedge. Stumbling down the grass bank to the finish, and here's number 89, Paul from Ely with some more encouraging words on the line.

I really enjoyed myself. This was the first competitive anything I'd done in 19 years, unless you count a couple of ignominious evening 10s, and suddenly I want to do another. Surely I could shave some time off? Looking at the splits, I think I know where!! Compared to those with a similar finish time, I'm 3 minutes up on the bike and 3 down on the run!

I've entered PBP, so I doubt I can do another triathlon this year, but who knows for next year.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #298 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:38:42 am »
Sounds like a good day. :)

Was no one on/at the Liverpool event then ?

« Reply #299 on: 28 June, 2011, 08:29:54 am »
good work JJ! It was a matter of time before you gave in and had a go...  How much quicker is Mrs JJ? ;D

I marshalled at Walden last year, it's a really friendly event.