Author Topic: FNRTTC Dates for 2009  (Read 20931 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: FNRTTC Dates for 2009
« Reply #175 on: 14 March, 2009, 09:28:59 pm »
That was the least enjoyable ride I've had for a very, very long time. I really don't know why I bother.

The only saving grace was that I managed to get from Brighton to Luton in just over two hours.

That's a shame.
Why do you think it was so crap?

That's really a post for another part of the forum...

No empathy with anyone else on the ride. No sense of humour (nothing new there though). No speed in my legs. Getting annoyed to the point of telling someone to fuck off when they overtook me, because they were last of the very, very many people to overtake me on the drag from the top of Turner's Hill to Lindfield (which is one of the most hateful stretches of road I've ever ridden on).

Sorry to see this Dave - I did wonder why you'd zoomed off to the station. 

I spent a lot of the time at the back, as Simon had expressed a need for people to keep an eye on the many newcomers, so I didn't really see you much, although I confess to zooming up Turner's Hill to warm myself up.

For Roger's ride, why not bring along an MP3 player loaded with comedy sketches?  That'll cheer us up.  :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #176 on: 14 March, 2009, 09:38:11 pm »
No empathy with anyone else on the ride. No sense of humour (nothing new there though). No speed in my legs. Getting annoyed to the point of telling someone to fuck off when they overtook me, because they were last of the very, very many people to overtake me on the drag from the top of Turner's Hill to Lindfield (which is one of the most hateful stretches of road I've ever ridden on).
Low blood sugar, Dave?  :-\
I've certainly felt like how you describe, many times on long rides. Bastard cars  >:(, F*ing road surface  ::-), I hate this stupid bike :sick:, Who's that smartass passing me now :hand:, I'm so pissed off, I'd even rather be gardening  :o, etc etc,

I think we've all felt like this at some point. Cakes, energy gels, bananas, jelly babies, anything really.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #177 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:14:21 pm »
Congratulations to everyone who did it, looking forward to meeting some of you in May. Southend next month isn't really an option for me- I'll be working till 8pm or so that night. 90 minute train ride, pretty much straight after that with no chance of  a kip, then from Waterloo to HPC, then the ride, and then a four-hour train ride back to Pompey....er, not a good idea, quite possibly fatal. So May it is. If nothing else, the IOW Randonnee will give me some hill-climbing practice for Ditchling (though I'll probably end up walking!).

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #178 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:21:27 am »
I think too many people Dave gets caught up in the speed and forgets to enjoy the ride.

FTFM

(Liz was looking a bit out of sorts at the top of Turner's Hill. I hope she's OK now.)

I was light headed and a bit disoriented from going up the hill with the boy racers. 

I can empathise with what you've said, Dave (see!  you do have empathy with people on the ride!) - we seemed to split into a group of willy-wavers and a slower group.  I think I'd probably have been happier with the slower group.  I enjoyed the first part of the ride up to Gatwick, but after that I appeared to be doing interval training at 5am, and it wasn't much fun.  I don't know who you told to fuck off, but I hope it was the one who was talking loudly about his racing successes and calling to his mates to "keep their powder dry for the climb."  (Actually that might have been two separate people).

I have just recovered (apart from my sense of humour, which is still at the top of Turners Hill).  And now I'm off on a club run, which will be exactly the same only with bona fide racers. 

« Reply #179 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:36:07 am »
Gosh.  I suppose the fact that I was trailing along at the back meant that I missed the racing action and willy-waving.  It was one of the more enoyable rides I've done, and I thought it had been quite sociable and undemanding.  My pooter tells me I averaged under 8mph and I didn't have much waiting around as, each time I caught the rest of you, you had either already moved on or were about to move on.  I think that made it a smoother-flowing and more relaxing ride for me.

« Reply #180 on: 15 March, 2009, 02:15:12 pm »
Gosh.  I suppose the fact that I was trailing along at the back meant that I missed the racing action and willy-waving.  It was one of the more enoyable rides I've done, and I thought it had been quite sociable and undemanding.  My pooter tells me I averaged under 8mph and I didn't have much waiting around as, each time I caught the rest of you, you had either already moved on or were about to move on.  I think that made it a smoother-flowing and more relaxing ride for me.

Fully agree, for an enjoyable social ride volunteer as tail end charlie. We had a nice gentle steady ride. You don't get caught up in any willy-waving or have to stand around getting cold waiting at teh regroup points. Plus the conversations between the TECs are often good.

matthew

« Reply #181 on: 15 March, 2009, 02:28:32 pm »
Careful Matthew, this way it could split into two rides with one group competing at the front and the other competing to be at the back.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #182 on: 15 March, 2009, 05:43:03 pm »
I'm really sorry I missed this one, but:

A regathering at the junction, another at the Air Balloon, and on down Victoria Road, where I found out that Simon's route into Gatwick doesn't take The Muddy Path, as NCN21 is known to me, but The Shitty Path, which is tarmac with a tyre-gripping central seam, lamp posts, sharp fenced bends, un-dropped kerbs, and so on.

The Muddy Path is so much better. (The majority who rode on last years July FNRTTC went down it). It's wider, is built for bikes, and doesn't have a "cycling prohibited sign" at the start. And it's not that muddy.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #183 on: 15 March, 2009, 06:03:07 pm »
Re the "car on its side" headtorch, it's five LED job from Karrimor, and I noticed today that Sports Direct are still punting them out at £8.99.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #184 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »
Hmmmm.

Willy waiving.

H

« Reply #185 on: 15 March, 2009, 09:08:52 pm »
Hmmmm.

Willy waiving.

H

There almost certainly was.

Some.

HTH

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #186 on: 15 March, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »
Hmmmm.

Willy waiving.

H

Technically I think only gurls and the victims of nasty pelvic-area trauma can waive willies.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #187 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:22:58 am »
Lots of video of the FNRttC, and none of it from me for once  ;D

Time lapse from the front of a 'bent from Arallsop

YouTube - FNRttC and back. March 09

Benborp, fixed rider with helmet cam

YouTube - FNRttC March 09

He positively flies up the beacon, I think you can see most of us get overtaken at one point or another

YouTube - Ditchling Beacon FNRttC

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #188 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:52:05 am »
[Cross posted from Cyclechat]

Nice one. Ouch. Fantastic. Speechless.

Sincere thanks to:
  • Simon
  • the (near perfect ;)) leaders
  • tail-end charlies
  • anyone who brought cake, flapjack, maltloaf, or a Yuba Mundo
  • the friends I've made,
  • whoever the hell it was on the fixie infront when I topped 62.9kph.
  • the merry band of companions who spent half of Saturday chasing up every hill between Brighton and London on the way back.

You made my night. 211km of joy.

Many many pics to sort through, but early favourites here: http://arallsopp.awardspace.com/FlashGalleries/FNRttC%20March%2009/index.html.

I have just over 500 pics, so (provided some of you were near the back at one time or another) I've probably got your rear in shot. As soon as I find somewhere sensible to drop them, I'll post them all, but until then best bet is watch the timelapse ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Do3fZvZyeQ8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Do3fZvZyeQ8&rel=1</a>).

So good to meet you all. Thanks for having me along.

Andy.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Tiger

« Reply #189 on: 16 March, 2009, 10:09:38 am »
What were you riding aralsop? I missed this ride but usually do them. Might see you at one this year?

FF

« Reply #190 on: 16 March, 2009, 10:19:19 am »
Hi all,

and a big thank-you for those that looked after me on my first one. Not used to using the big ring for more than half a mile and not done more than a few miles on tarmac before Friday night.

I have to say, the pace was a little speedy at times for an old off-roader on tractor tyres, but at least I made it to Brighton. Didn't feel too shabby after a couple of hours sleep and managed to do a few chores and cheer Scotland on with a few beers too.

Hopefully see you (all) on another couple this year, schedule permitting. A big thank-you to Simon and the guides .. and my ex-friend 'smiling Dave' who told me it would be steady !! At least he stayed with me at my snail's pace, but then had to ride home to use up his excess energy.

A great night ....

FF

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #191 on: 16 March, 2009, 10:32:57 am »
What were you riding aralsop? I missed this ride but usually do them. Might see you at one this year?

I was on a bright Orange (and scarily clean) SMGTe. She's my workhorse / commuter, and is very comfortable over these kind of distances (bear in mind I did ride back to SE London after).

I took delivery of her replacement on Friday afternoon, but didn't have time to swap pedals and SON across before setting off. I'll be on the new one next time. Is a black and white and shiny Furai SLII.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #192 on: 16 March, 2009, 08:56:53 pm »
I emailed Simon today with a couple of queries, and he's sent me a rather nice PDF- route guide, FAQs etc. Anyone who'd like a copy, feel free to PM me, and feel free to pass it on. I've also volunteered to recce for the Bognor breakfast stop- any suggestions for that gratefully received.
Edit: By 'route guide', I should have made clear that it's 'flavour of the route' rather than something one could actually use for their own solo/group efforts. There are maps, but they're satellite level. PDF's still nice, mind :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #193 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:09:00 pm »
I know there's a very nice crepe cabin on the promenade here.  Not so sure they might be open at 7 am though.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #194 on: 16 March, 2009, 10:59:53 pm »
I know there's a very nice crepe cabin on the promenade here.  Not so sure they might be open at 7 am though.
Thanks, will check it out.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #195 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:22:51 pm »
Oh, if any of you lovely people found yourself in the timelapse youtube footage ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Do3fZvZyeQ8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Do3fZvZyeQ8&rel=1</a>[/url], I've dropped the original frames into a couple of picasa albums.

L2B: http://picasaweb.google.com/arallsopp/FNRttCPartI#
B2L: http://picasaweb.google.com/arallsopp/FNRttCPartII#

Most of the pics came out pretty good really. Feel free to grab copies. :)

« Reply #196 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:28:45 pm »
One of the problems with being a TEC (if only for 11 miles this month) is that you never get in people's photos.

;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #197 on: 17 March, 2009, 08:51:08 am »
My sincere apologies TimO. ...And to think I diligently spent so much time near the back.

Just to ensure nice even coverage of the pack of course...
nothing to do with my being slow.

Honest guv. ;)

« Reply #198 on: 17 March, 2009, 08:59:24 am »
...And to think I diligently spent so much time near the back.

Just to ensure nice even coverage of the pack of course...
nothing to do with my being slow. ...

Funnily enough, I've occasionally thought about fitting a pair of bullet cameras to the bike, and fed into a split screen box, before a solid state recorded.  That way (on a ride like this) you get a view of both those in front and behind.  Of course you only see the faces of those behind you, and the bums of all those in front.
Actually, it is rocket science.