Author Topic: Long Fingered Gloves for summer  (Read 12969 times)

Long Fingered Gloves for summer
« on: 13 July, 2015, 10:11:02 am »
So, I've got this shiny new 'cross ish bike, and those bridleways and footpaths (shh) beckon.
They are quite overgrown at this time of year, and now my hands are a mess, scratches, stings, rashes.

Who does lightweight gloves to keep my ladylike hands ladylike?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Long Fingered Gloves for summer
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:15:37 am »
Lady up and show your scratches with pride! It's an organic tattoo!

I've noticed a few people riding round town recently in what look like winter gloves. I don't know why they're doing it and it's not going to help you. Sorry.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:38:53 am »
Lady up and show your scratches with pride! It's an organic tattoo!
Yebbut they itch and then catch on my knitting.

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2015, 11:03:22 am »
I use mens endura full monty which are padded on the fatbike and royal quantum unpadded on the cx.

the royal gloves are lovely and light summer gloves.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2015, 12:22:17 pm »
I've got several pairs of thin Altura ones - they double up as liner gloves in winter, too. Also got some from Planet X, but they may not be good for ladylike hands - I've got biggish hands for a woman and needed an XS in them.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2015, 12:56:16 pm »
NOT the lightweight long-fingered cycling gloves from Wilkinson's.  The fingertips wear through in no time.  Shame as they're otherwise nice.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2015, 01:11:34 pm »
I've got several pairs of thin Altura ones.

I've got a pair of these.  They don't seem particularly durable, but being thin they live in my bag most of the time in case conditions turn out to be unexpectedly cold for mitts, or unexpectedly warm for winter gloves.  They also get bonus points for fitting properly (I find large ladies' sizes tend to have a better finger length to hand width ratio than small men's, but they're a lot harder to come by).

I bought a set of lightweight full-finger gloves (in phantasmagoriana-compliant black & purple) from Aldi when they had the last batch of cycling stuff.  A bit thicker than the Alturas, but I haven't had reason to use them yet.  As ever with Aldi gloves, the padding probably isn't that great and the sizes are randomly generated each year.

I often look at the Wilko ones, because they look like just what I need for popping to the shops in spring/autumn.  They're completely the wrong shape though.

Actually, the best ones I've had were a set of cheap Tesco ones from about 2007 (they don't do that style any more).  No padding to speak of, and the velcro was naff, but just the right amount of warmth:breathability, and they've done an admirable job of preventing gravel rash on at least two occasions.

« Reply #9 on: 13 July, 2015, 01:56:32 pm »
I'm appalled what an absolute girl I am about this- never mind functionality, wherefore art aesthetics?

All the ones suggested thus far are really ugly.

These are my mitts (as photographed by Tim Hall):

Does no one know of any pretty ones?
 :facepalm: :-[

« Reply #10 on: 13 July, 2015, 04:24:48 pm »

Are you "bitchin'" enough to carry these off?

http://www.troyleedesigns.com/bicycle/gloves

« Reply #11 on: 13 July, 2015, 04:27:57 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 13 July, 2015, 04:52:23 pm »
Nothing wrong in liking pretty things! See William Morris, etc (not a girl). Still no suggestions though, sorry!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 13 July, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »

« Reply #14 on: 14 July, 2015, 01:05:16 am »
I've had some thin (but barely padded) ones from Decathlon and a nicer pair of Treks that I lost on LEL.

Both black and dull - and discontinued models, so not much point in telling you about them really ... but I *have* been happy with them both.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #15 on: 14 July, 2015, 07:45:49 am »
Actually, the best ones I've had were a set of cheap Tesco ones from about 2007 (they don't do that style any more).  No padding to speak of, and the velcro was naff, but just the right amount of warmth:breathability, and they've done an admirable job of preventing gravel rash on at least two occasions.

I had a brilliant pair of Tesco ones that were a present from someone in, iirc, 2010.  Summer weight full finger, and therefore perfect winter gloves for a me.  Unfortunately I lost them :(

http://www.minx-girl.com/terry-full-finger-summer-glove-blue/p1356
Special offer at Minx, but not (I don't think) particularly pretty any good?

« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2015, 04:03:33 pm »
The Altura Progels at the bottom of the page look good http://bikesy.co.uk/s/womens%20gloves%20/ - only £7.50 too. Saying that there's a huge number on there to choose from if you wade through the mitts.