Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?  (Read 46615 times)

Re: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?
« Reply #350 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:17:16 pm »
Even though I have explicitly chosen "DO NOT CHECK FOR UPDATES" ?

« Reply #351 on: 31 May, 2016, 10:33:20 am »
Yes, but you don't really mean that, obv. Why would you know your own thoughts better than MS does?

« Reply #352 on: 31 May, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
That would appear to be the assumption.

Machine performance is much better now that I have found and killed that rogue AVG search on startup worm which was hiding itself rather well.    Boo to AVG.

« Reply #353 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:07:35 am »
Talking about W10 upgrades, has anyone got a Win7 activation code they no longer need? (to be used in a VM) I only have OEM licenses which aren't valid to transfer. As far as I can see, it is within the licensing policy.

« Reply #354 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:13:35 am »
Talking about W10 upgrades, has anyone got a Win7 activation code they no longer need? (to be used in a VM) I only have OEM licenses which aren't valid to transfer. As far as I can see, it is within the licensing policy.

I moved my Win8 laptop OEM  licence to a VM (using Linux as the host OS and VMware Workstation). It was a clean install in the VM and it worked fine. Its all running on the laptop that the licence was for though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #355 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:15:50 am »
This is a fresh install - I tried a clone which failed miserably.

« Reply #356 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:18:06 am »
That's what I did a fresh install. I completely wiped the laptop and did an encrypted Linux install then installed VMware Workstation and created a new machine in that that I installed Windows onto.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #357 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:25:26 am »
Full declaration:

I can't find any of my Win7 ISO either, so was going to d/l from microsoft, for which you need a validation code.

« Reply #358 on: 31 May, 2016, 03:01:15 pm »
Not long after I got W10 (from W7) every time my machine boots it started asking 'How I would like to open this file?'.  It never tells me what file so I don't know and just ignore it.  Picking a random option from the long and disparate list presented didn't give me any clues.  It seems no worse than a brief irritant. 

The main, perhaps only, benefit of having W10 is that I don't have MS telling me I need to upgrade.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #359 on: 31 May, 2016, 03:07:20 pm »
I would like to know how Microsoft managed to bugger up the only reliable software they have ever written.
Freecell
Attempting to monetise a free game has to be a mistake. I don't want adverts; I don't want an X-box sign in. I especially don't want an error pop-up every time I move a card.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #360 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
I would like to know how Microsoft managed to bugger up the only reliable software they have ever written.
Freecell
Attempting to monetise a free game has to be a mistake. I don't want adverts; I don't want an X-box sign in. I especially don't want an error pop-up every time I move a card.

There may be an old-skool implementation Out There somewhere.  I found standalone XP versions of Solitaire and Minesweeper which both work fine under 10.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #361 on: 31 May, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »
Samsung are advising people that they should not try to upgrade their PCs to Win10 as it will all end in tears.  Driver problems it seems.  Details over at The Register.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #362 on: 31 May, 2016, 07:22:52 pm »
Barakta dodged the Windows 10 upgrade bullet earlier on the eve of her essay deadline...

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #363 on: 01 June, 2016, 07:28:29 pm »
I'm now noticing w10 upgrade notifications sitting next to the clock even on domain-joined machines. Not impressed :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #364 on: 01 June, 2016, 08:15:38 pm »
I have a small network of office machines which will not work with W10.  So one day I come in and my machine is half way through an install.  I fortunately was able to reverse the changes.  I then found this site http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ and downloaded the GWX program which completely killed the win 10 upgrade.  Installed on another 5 machines with equal success and no problems

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #365 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:10:38 am »
I gave in yesterday and decided to let it upgrade from Windows 7. To my surprise everything seems to work and computer is now a bit snappier.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #366 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:32:43 pm »
I upgraded from Win8.1 to 10 last week and suffered restart issues. Turned out to be an issue with some hidden (spit) McAfee file which I removed after booting up in safe mode. Then the touchscreen wasn't working. More Googling, then disabled and re-enabled the display and hey presto it works.  All sees pretty good (I.e. generally No worse than before) but Firefox is a bit sluggish now.

« Reply #367 on: 07 June, 2016, 08:17:29 am »
Samsung are advising people that they should not try to upgrade their PCs to Win10 as it will all end in tears.  Driver problems it seems.  Details over at The Register.
I regard The Register as being about as accurate as The Daily Mail these days, but it seems there is some truth in this. Samsung have not provided drivers for older laptops.

Glad I didn't upgrade mine to W10.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Afasoas

« Reply #368 on: 08 June, 2016, 08:22:08 am »
I'm now noticing w10 upgrade notifications sitting next to the clock even on domain-joined machines. Not impressed :(

So far I've managed to prevent this... scrutinizing every WSUS update prior to approval and adding a group policy* that prevents "c:\Windows\System32\GWX.exe" from running.

*Computer Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Software Restriction Policies

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #369 on: 09 June, 2016, 08:22:08 am »
I gave in yesterday and decided to let it upgrade from Windows 7. To my surprise everything seems to work and computer is now a bit snappier.

I shouldn't have written that....

I have an expensive CAD software on my computer and I've just realised that it doesn't work properly. There is a window with a 3D view inside on what I am working on and it stays black...

I've updated the driver of the graphic card, it didn't do anything... What else can I do?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #370 on: 09 June, 2016, 08:25:52 am »
I think there is an 'compatibility mode' that you can use.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #371 on: 09 June, 2016, 08:26:18 am »
There may b other options, one thing you can do is right click on the shortcut -> compatibility -> runin Winx version mode

Wouldn't hold out that much hope with 3D though, but I'm surprised that you have drivers for the card and it doesn't work. (Not surprised it actually doesn't work, y'understand)

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #372 on: 09 June, 2016, 11:37:06 am »
Thanks for the help but it didn't work. I suspect that it is the video card but I am not sure what to tweak in there and I don't have technical support on the software.

Is going back to windows 7 easy enough?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #373 on: 09 June, 2016, 01:29:58 pm »
We upgraded miniao's laptop to W10 a while back but she has problems with the wifi dropping out, and also iphone-itunes 'syncing', which we don't experience on W7 in the house.  Any ideas?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #374 on: 09 June, 2016, 01:40:17 pm »
Thanks for the help but it didn't work. I suspect that it is the video card but I am not sure what to tweak in there and I don't have technical support on the software.

Is going back to windows 7 easy enough?

The first time Windows 10 decided to install itself on my 8.1 laptop I reverted it as soon as the install had finished.  It was a good deal quicker and simpler than the "update" had been.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime