Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 127128 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #225 on: 27 January, 2013, 01:44:24 pm »
Back yesterday from a week based in Val d'Isere. Weather mostly pretty good. One snowy day, one with flattish light, but mostly sunny. Pretty cold at the end of the week. Skied just about everywhere in Espace Killy.

Pix

IMG_1190 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #226 on: 27 January, 2013, 05:36:55 pm »
Mrs P made some GPS trax with her phone:

20th Jan
21st
22nd
23rd
24th
25th

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #227 on: 27 January, 2013, 06:06:45 pm »

20th Jan
21st
22nd
23rd
24th
25th

Looks like you got about OK!
A couple of fairly big days in there.
Did I spot an agreeable lunch stop down at Tignes Les Brevieres one day ( 23rd )?
The artwork on the dam is now pretty much gone.

Did you get the bus back from up towards Le Fornet on the 24th?
We've done similar.

Next time you're there, there's an excellent 'well-known but secret' off-piste route down to La Daille, from the bottom of the Tommeuses chair.   It's called the Vallee Perdue, and it runs more-or-less alongside the triffolet run.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #228 on: 27 January, 2013, 06:42:57 pm »

20th Jan
21st
22nd
23rd
24th
25th

Looks like you got about OK!
A couple of fairly big days in there.

That's just Mrs P's trax when she remembers to switch the app on the phone on. I usually do a few more runs when she's had enough in the afternoon.

Did I spot an agreeable lunch stop down at Tignes Les Brevieres one day ( 23rd )?

We had lunch at les Tufs in la Daille. That was the day it snowed & Mrs P took the bus back to Val after lunch & I did a few more runs.

The artwork on the dam is now pretty much gone.

Did you get the bus back from up towards Le Fornet on the 24th?
We've done similar.

The bus is pretty handy from le Fornet or la Daille.

Next time you're there, there's an excellent 'well-known but secret' off-piste route down to La Daille, from the bottom of the Tommeuses chair.   It's called the Vallee Perdue, and it runs more-or-less alongside the triffolet run.

I've done that on previous trips when someone else has been leading. I keep forgetting where it starts.

Feanor

« Reply #229 on: 27 January, 2013, 09:07:25 pm »
Major lift failure in Glenshee today:
( Butcharts pomma )

« Reply #230 on: 27 January, 2013, 09:55:52 pm »
Oooooof !  That's embarrassing.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #231 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:02:49 pm »
That's a bit weird. The whole rack of waiting batons must have become detached and dropped on the cable.

Feanor

« Reply #232 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:10:52 pm »
It's a mid-way pylon.
The lift continued to run for quite a while after the pylon collapsed.
( Which is slightly odd: at each pylon there's a jockey-wheel which rides upon the wire which is hooked to a limit-switch.   This is designed to detect the scenario that if the wire drops off the sheaves, the jockey wheel drops and opens the emergency stop circuit.   In this case, the wire remained sufficiently engaged in the sheaves that the limit switches did not detect a wire-off scenario and the lift had to be manually stopped. )

The wire continued to be pulled through the wreckage OK for some time.
But the individual platters ( correctly spaced at the bottom station ) could not, and so they piled up on the downhill side of the fallen pylon.

In the image shown, they appear slightly downhill of the broken pylon because the pylon has fallen further in the photo than when the initial incident happened.   This has caused some slack in the system, and things have moved.

Jakob

« Reply #233 on: 28 January, 2013, 05:52:36 am »
Spent Friday at the local mountain (Cypress) with my wife. Fresh, but wet snow overnight meant groomers only, but it also meant that I spent the whole day (apart from the last run) with her, rather than chasing trees, which actually was kinda nice.

Went to Mt Baker today. They had a fair amount of snow over the last few days, after a dry spell,, but it was mostly tracked out, often surprising you with a icy layer when you least wanted it. Still found the odd good bit, but no major stashes, even in the trees.
 Really struggled with the (flat) light and need new goggles. Did almost buy some fancy Oakley ones at lunch, but for whatever reason, it didn't like my Canadian credit card and they didn't accept debit.
Highlight was kinda going down the main chute (double diamond), a run I never expected to be able to do. It wasn't pretty, but I got down, mostly on my board.
Local forecast is for more snow, but temperatures are marginal...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #234 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:14:29 am »
You won't get up a mountain to a resort without them when it is snowing, otherwise local conditions may dictate they are sensible but most main roads are kept clear. Chamonix resort itself is quite low, and the roads are normally clear, late March SHOULD be alright, but I wouldn't drive around without having a set in the boot.

If your car is not VW/Audi/BMW big wheel/small clearances, you are just as well off picking up a cheap set in France. See which are recommended here http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/ and post result if you would like comment.

Just started looking at these - do I just need a pair or should I have them front and back?

« Reply #235 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:27:22 am »
You won't get up a mountain to a resort without them when it is snowing, otherwise local conditions may dictate they are sensible but most main roads are kept clear. Chamonix resort itself is quite low, and the roads are normally clear, late March SHOULD be alright, but I wouldn't drive around without having a set in the boot.

If your car is not VW/Audi/BMW big wheel/small clearances, you are just as well off picking up a cheap set in France. See which are recommended here http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/ and post result if you would like comment.

Just started looking at these - do I just need a pair or should I have them front and back?

Just one pair on the driven wheels is all you need. If you have a rear wheel drive car I would recommend the "spider" type if you can afford the close to £300. Otherwise, whatever you get, remember to practice in the light and dry before you go.

PaulF

« Reply #236 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:38:23 am »
Thanks!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #237 on: 12 February, 2013, 06:37:03 pm »

« Reply #238 on: 14 February, 2013, 10:12:44 am »
Off tonight to Val Cenis.... can't wait to hit the slopes, whatever they are like (no idea about Val Cenis)

In the meantime.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jY7rbMEPanw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jY7rbMEPanw&rel=1</a>

« Reply #239 on: 14 February, 2013, 10:17:31 am »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #240 on: 14 February, 2013, 11:36:35 am »
Very sad, yes.

Skiing with Mrs Ham, we are always on piste... but even so.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #241 on: 23 February, 2013, 08:40:18 pm »
Mostly packed and definitely ready for Val d'Isere tomorrow. Whoop!

« Reply #242 on: 23 February, 2013, 10:25:28 pm »
Just back from Val Cenis, 6 days of sunshine and snow, anyone jealous? I will do a full review of the resort in a while, but its summary will be:great for beginners, especially families.  That might sound a bit downbeat, but there is more. Have a great week, Pippa, sounds like there may well be a dump or two over the next day or so, hoping for sun for you after.

« Reply #243 on: 23 February, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »

Could start a new meme - greatest extremity uses of a yacf buff in one day - only it would be a bit exclusive. Prevention of frostbite in the morning to prevention of sunburn in the afternoon.

« Reply #244 on: 24 February, 2013, 08:36:23 pm »
So, a review of Val Cenis.

I'm always fascinated by those myriad of small resorts that you see, fascinated but never previously tempted because I'm so much addicted to the big French resorts. Val Cenis was a departure from the norm, 'cause because we wanted to ski at half term, and fancied something new.

The resort http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/France/ValCenis.aspx straggles along the valley, with four towns dotted along the way, our choice Lanslevillard is one of the best having a combination of decent restaurants etc, and places such as ours which was as ski in - ski out as it is possible to get - out the door onto the piste.

The down side of the resort is that the sking area is a little limited. Although the number of ski kilometers sounds fairly high, a lot are green snakey paths. But there are still some very nice runs. Nothing really black, although I didn't try the 1m wide traverse path, and very little really red (if red=difficult) although once or twice you did have to ski to stay upright, Quite a few blue wiggle paths have reds that go straight down, well within the skiing capability of most.

Didn't try the extensive off piste, it looked pretty good and you could pretty much choose your challenge.

Of course it helped that we had sunshine and good snow for almost all days, but that's the name of the game. It is an absolutely perfect resort for families beginning, and pretty good if you want a lazy week of ski at a resort that cost around 10 - 20% less than others. Our well appointed apartment on the slopes with around 30m2 cost us both £700 for the week , including 2 lift passes.

Stonking good fun for a few days, is my conclusion, but I won't go back.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #245 on: 28 February, 2013, 01:25:58 pm »
I regret not going to the Pyrenees this year. Over 4m in the resort, over 5m on piste seems an interesting snow depth.  One of the mangers of ski lifts was complaining about the modern chair lifts.  Drag lifts were so much easier to adjust, digging out chair lifts is hard work.

« Reply #246 on: 28 February, 2013, 02:46:51 pm »
Back from a week in Flaine. Oodles of snow and it stayed cold after a big dump. Heaven. Sunny for most of the week. Which enabled me to take mini down where the red arrow points.

His first proper off-pistey adventure.
Rust never sleeps

PaulF

« Reply #247 on: 28 February, 2013, 02:59:39 pm »
Saw that he'd done that couloir - I'm impressed!

« Reply #248 on: 28 February, 2013, 03:02:51 pm »
Saw that he'd done that couloir - I'm impressed!
:-)
He wasn't exactly happy at the top of it, but after his first turn he really rather enjoyed it. It made the rest of the week's ski lessons a doddle apparently when they were taken down some steepish bumpy runs.
Rust never sleeps

PaulF

« Reply #249 on: 28 February, 2013, 03:19:48 pm »
Well I'm not expecting quite the same level of achievement when my son goes for the first time at Easter. Just wanting to do it again will be enough!