Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338984 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #825 on: 26 January, 2020, 06:35:28 pm »
a 33k ride on my gravel bike bagged 4 new tiles taking my cluster from 366 to 374.
More importantly my max square increased from 13x13 to 15x15

@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #826 on: 26 January, 2020, 07:04:29 pm »
I went out yesterday on a 200km DIY out towards Rutland Water and bagged 69 new squares.  I especially wanted to get these three squares which were limiting my cluster.

Cluster now up by 142 to 2594

No change to my 42x42 max square though.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #827 on: 27 January, 2020, 02:50:37 pm »
I see you've given Leicester a wide berth.
My square is currently limited on one side by the urban blob of Swindon.

The squares would be relatively easy pickings, Swindon has alot of cycleways (and roads) but hardly pleasurable. I wouldn't chose to ride through town ordinarily, so I was thinking of making a trip of it to get all the urban squares in one hit - but when would be best? I'm leaning towards sparrows fart on a spring/summer morning, when the drunks and yoofs are a'slumber.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #828 on: 27 January, 2020, 04:57:37 pm »
I wouldn't chose to ride through town ordinarily, so I was thinking of making a trip of it to get all the urban squares in one hit - but when would be best? I'm leaning towards sparrows fart on a spring/summer morning, when the drunks and yoofs are a'slumber.

Christmas Day or during an important sportsball match.

« Reply #829 on: 27 January, 2020, 07:43:49 pm »
I see you've given Leicester a wide berth.
My square is currently limited on one side by the urban blob of Swindon.

The squares would be relatively easy pickings, Swindon has alot of cycleways (and roads) but hardly pleasurable. I wouldn't chose to ride through town ordinarily, so I was thinking of making a trip of it to get all the urban squares in one hit - but when would be best? I'm leaning towards sparrows fart on a spring/summer morning, when the drunks and yoofs are a'slumber.

Swindon and Reading are my leave alone areas atm; though I have done more of Swindon.  TBH I can't really see myself doing Reading.  Even Swindon, meh.  If I was going to, then very early a.m. & w/e, in the Summer would be my preferred too...

Reading by ao, on Flickr

Swindon by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #830 on: 27 January, 2020, 08:09:39 pm »
I've done various town/city rides for vv tile bagging and since I have to drop my daughter off at school at 9am and pick her up at 3pm then most of my cycling was done between 10am and 2pm, didn't have many problems at all.

(90% of my riding is urban anyway as my commute takes me almost in to central London and back each day.)

They're relatively quick to knock off and mean that, once done, you can concentrate on rides in more rural settings to increase your square/cluster.

This 3h 70km ride ticked off 54 tiles in/around Woking for example: https://www.strava.com/activities/1947476515 (although, annoyingly, I missed one tile by not following the GPS properly). Started/finished at Woking Station which saved me having to ride to/from Putney as I couldn't fit that in to the tight timescales otherwise (I could but a puncture could have left me missing school pickup time).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #831 on: 28 January, 2020, 10:22:45 am »
Yeah, likewise, I'm not adverse to urban cycling, my daily commute is across Derby and back everyday.  And I've got all of Nottingham and half of Sheffield in my cluster.   With a bit of local knowledge or a good route finding app it's often quite possible to find quite pleasant traffic free routes.   

I guess urban cycling is more out of necessity rather than choice a lot of the time.  When my max square reaches Leicester then riding in Leicester becomes a necessity!
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #832 on: 28 January, 2020, 11:23:52 am »
Yeah, likewise, I'm not adverse to urban cycling, my daily commute is across Derby and back everyday.  And I've got all of Nottingham and half of Sheffield in my cluster.   With a bit of local knowledge or a good route finding app it's often quite possible to find quite pleasant traffic free routes.   

I guess urban cycling is more out of necessity rather than choice a lot of the time.  When my max square reaches Leicester then riding in Leicester becomes a necessity!

My cluster so far includes about the 90% of the area enclosed by the M25. And I'm going to be stubborn and finish it. But boy, I will be glad when I do so I can go back to some nicer areas :-)

« Reply #833 on: 28 January, 2020, 12:49:39 pm »
I quite enjoy a bit of urban riding when there are interesting things to look at.  It is the sprawling housing estates that I find tedious.

« Reply #834 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:11:44 pm »
When playing with veloviewer I accidentally switched the filter to "Rides" and noticed 4 relatively nearby tiles disappeared. One is only 3 tiles away from home (2 East, 1 South) and I've cycled through it hundreds of times to go play 5-a-side football but obviously never GPSed one of those rides or done it on any other ride, I have run through it though as I remember doing a run to go and check if I'd left a pair of gloves outside the pub after football once, and another run to go collect the car from an MOT.

Two more relatively nearby (Thames Path - Barnes Bridge and further round past Kew) I've only run through on Strava. Definitely cycled along there but it was with MiniGB in a child seat on the back so wouldn't have recorded it on the GPS.

Then the tile just north of Weybridge I've only ever swam in at Shepperton Lake.

Not sure whether this annoys me or not.

2 overlapping 4x4 squares if I select just running, and that could move to 5x5 if I filled in 2 more squares and then 6x6 with a further 3.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #835 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:49:54 pm »
I quite enjoy a bit of urban riding when there are interesting things to look at.  It is the sprawling housing estates that I find tedious.

For me it's the soul destroying identikit light industrial parks full of dead ends and idiot drivers that I don't like...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #836 on: 28 January, 2020, 06:28:06 pm »

For me it's the soul destroying identikit light industrial parks full of dead ends and idiot drivers that I don't like...

J

There's a Dutch word for this: Golfplatenboulevard

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #837 on: 28 January, 2020, 06:42:56 pm »

J

There's a Dutch word for this: Golfplatenboulevard

:thumbsup:

« Reply #838 on: 28 January, 2020, 08:54:51 pm »
OK, so having said 'I may not do Reading', I've just been on Strava route planning and designed a single ride to bag most of it, in perhaps a 100km from Goring stn, or 100mile from home.   ;D  Backburner tho.

« Reply #839 on: 29 January, 2020, 08:32:07 am »
;D  Backburner tho.
That's my feeling on Houghton Le Spring

« Reply #840 on: 29 January, 2020, 09:27:05 am »
The planning is the best bit. I've planned about 20 future vv tile bagging rides covering most of London inside the M25 (having covered just over 1/4 of it already), I'm just shit at getting out there and doing them.

Current excuse is that I'm focusing on getting back to fitness after nobbling my ankle last year and the one day I can do longer rides easily is the day I'm cramming in spinning, swimming and a bit of running.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #841 on: 29 January, 2020, 05:25:57 pm »
The planning is the best bit. I've planned about 20 future vv tile bagging rides covering most of London inside the M25 (having covered just over 1/4 of it already), I'm just shit at getting out there and doing them.

Current excuse is that I'm focusing on getting back to fitness after nobbling my ankle last year and the one day I can do longer rides easily is the day I'm cramming in spinning, swimming and a bit of running.

Agreed, got lots of routes planned and ideas for bagging missed tiles, it's getting out there and doing it (will have to get some hill walking in too to increase my cluster/square).

« Reply #842 on: 01 February, 2020, 02:31:05 pm »
A 'carefully' planned route skirting Reading and out to the south, bagging squares.

Bugger! Poor planning, Peat!

« Reply #843 on: 04 February, 2020, 07:00:32 am »
Two East Lothian trips in the last two weekends (John Muir Way from North Berwick to Dunbar  on Foot, and a two hour tiling ride bagged ~45 new tiles and increased my cluster by 33 to 906.

« Reply #844 on: 04 February, 2020, 07:23:09 pm »
A 'carefully' planned route skirting Reading and out to the south, bagging squares.

Bugger! Poor planning, Peat!

and... return.   :)  I do that a lot.

« Reply #845 on: 07 February, 2020, 11:09:38 pm »
I've set myself a target of getting my square to 40x40 by the end of January. Knocked one of the squares off today, half a dozen more to go...

Not quite :) But I knocked off a couple of rows at the southern end today, and now I've 3 overlapping 39x39s. It was fucking hard work, and fucking gorgeous.

Just the one more up Swaledale for 40x40.

« Reply #846 on: 08 February, 2020, 09:11:39 am »
Oh, and grabbing a tile up Coverdale, I got electrocuted (twice) and shouted at, so good luck to anyone else working the Dales.

« Reply #847 on: 08 February, 2020, 02:17:14 pm »
Livestock fence, I'm guessing.

« Reply #848 on: 08 February, 2020, 02:28:18 pm »
Put 48 on cluster today.   Now 1151.

Longest ever stretch ridden of the busy A420; ~1km to Littleworth turning nr Faringdon.  Not too bad, though I had a queue building up behind due to oncoming traffic & solid white line, glad to get off.

Fairly sure I found the longest bit of dead straight road in the Vale; 2km - very quiet, just down from littleworth, heading towards Radcot/Thames.

Saw ~60(!) swans in a farmers field nr the Thames, and had a buzzard with attitude, firing guano at me from a tree branch - good aim, but I managed to swerve avoid.  :thumbsup:

The 'hole' nr Burford is Carterton/BrizeNorton, which I'll do at some point.

Cluster08022020 by a oxon, on Flickr

IMG_20200208-1_HDR by a oxon, on Flickr

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #849 on: 09 February, 2020, 09:47:29 am »

Yesterdays audax added 93 new tiles to my count, doesn't do anything to cluster or square, but it does nicely connect up some of my clumps of tiles.

Also added two more Gemente, completing province Utrecht. 14 left to do!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/