Author Topic: Good Android Apps - free or otherwise - recommendations please  (Read 24464 times)

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Re: Good Android Apps - free or otherwise - recommendations please
« Reply #50 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:44:05 am »
Handwriting recognition?  I'm struggling with those little keyboards and no stylus.

or - as I  should still be able to do Graffitti - any pros/cons on Android Grafitti - can't find the free version in the market.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #51 on: 16 May, 2011, 02:03:14 pm »
I see there is talk of viruses aimed at Android phones, usually transmitted (I think) via SMS but there are also apps with malware.

Is there a need for antivirus software for an Android?

I see, as is the case with almost all apps, some of the reviews for e.g. AVG for Android mention battery drain. I'm a bit sceptical of this. I don't seem to have this problem with apps being "always on" and draining power.

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 24 May, 2011, 05:33:00 pm »
Handwriting recognition?  I'm struggling with those little keyboards and no stylus.

or - as I  should still be able to do Graffitti - any pros/cons on Android Grafitti - can't find the free version in the market.

Someone nearby has introduced me to Swype (SlideIT on HTC Desire). Seems to take some getting used to, but could well improve text entry speed.

plum

« Reply #53 on: 24 May, 2011, 07:54:24 pm »
Handwriting recognition?  I'm struggling with those little keyboards and no stylus.

or - as I  should still be able to do Graffitti - any pros/cons on Android Grafitti - can't find the free version in the market.
Swype if you can get it, no more tapping away at piddly little keys. Comes built into Samsung Galaxy and it's awesome but I don't know if it's publicly available yet.

Other useful stuff:

If you install chrome and enable google cloudprint then you can print to any LAN printer direct from cloudprint enabled apps. Gmail is one, don't know about any others yet but there will be plenty.

Install subsonic to your PC and you can stream your home music collection to any internet connection, for a 5 euro donation you can get the app and have music streamed direct to your phone. Needs a bit of tech awareness but nothing too strenuous.

plum

« Reply #54 on: 24 May, 2011, 07:58:35 pm »
 I like the idea of making a one-button widget to kill SMS, turn on GPS, launch Navigate and start playing some choons all at once.
Better still locale will do it for you based on GPS position. Can change lots and lots of settings based on your location. I've not used this one [because of the cost] but people I know who do use it are keen.

From the website:

"You mean I can have a naughty wallpaper on my phone when I'm at home, and it'll change to a pretty landscape when I'm at work?!" — Dale, Software Engineer"

Locale - Product

« Reply #55 on: 25 May, 2011, 06:57:40 am »
+1 for Locale. Mine automagically sets my phone to vibrate only when I enter a nearby epidemiology dept, as they tut if your phone goes off.

It can also turn your phone into a cheapy SPOT tracker thingy. For audax, I have mine set to email my wife my location on the hour + SMS in response to SMS + email in response to the presence of a mobile network if it hasn´t sent my location in the last hour. Obv, it can hook up with twitter / facebook like this, or do it directly. A cheap way of letting people know where you are.

Tasker can apparently do all the same things, use the same plugins, and do more. I suspect it would be just the ticket for someone who can code.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #56 on: 01 June, 2011, 03:14:43 pm »
Having just got my new Android phone, I thought I would look for some games (the old one had too small a screen for real game play).

I came across Battle Bears.

Oh dear, there's an afternoon gone :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #57 on: 01 June, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »
Try Yooninja!

« Reply #58 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:51:54 pm »
Got a bit paranoid today, so looked into apps for finding my phone if I lose it / making it safe if it´s nicked.

I went for Prey, but there are a bunch of others out there. However, I found that when I lost mine before, HTCs own remote locking app didn´t work. I can confirm that this one does lock remotely, that the location thing works, and that you can trigger a popup notification and set off an alarm, all via the web interface. It also has password protected uninstall, and will text you the new phone number if someone swaps sims.

Open source anti-theft solution for Mac, PCs & Phones – Prey

It does more than phones too.

« Reply #59 on: 01 June, 2011, 10:55:22 pm »
I used to use a program like that, forget the name but it was free to download in beta but beta users got it for free. I think they sold out to Mcafee in the end.

It was a good idea, the option to track your phone, & if it was lost or stolen, you could nuke it from a website. I found it a bit buggy as it would report a change of SIM every so often. You could set it up to text another phone if it detected a SIM swap. It kept texting the Mrs when I took it out of airplane mode.

What they didn't tell you is the texts were sent from the far east so a, didn't come out if your mothly allowance & 2, cost a lot more!

I think it was Lookout Mobile Security | Android Security for Mobile I have an account there but the phone doesn't match!

« Reply #61 on: 02 June, 2011, 12:23:42 am »
Got a bit paranoid today, so looked into apps for finding my phone if I lose it / making it safe if it´s nicked.

I went for Prey, but there are a bunch of others out there. However, I found that when I lost mine before, HTCs own remote locking app didn´t work. I can confirm that this one does lock remotely, that the location thing works, and that you can trigger a popup notification and set off an alarm, all via the web interface. It also has password protected uninstall, and will text you the new phone number if someone swaps sims.

Open source anti-theft solution for Mac, PCs & Phones – Prey

It does more than phones too.

+1 - Prey is awesome.

« Reply #62 on: 02 June, 2011, 12:45:46 am »
Prey does look awesome but when I just downloaded it AVG rated it as a threat. Threat name: Tool-WGet, privacy concerns etc. Should I worry?

« Reply #63 on: 02 June, 2011, 07:40:14 am »
Prey does look awesome but when I just downloaded it AVG rated it as a threat. Threat name: Tool-WGet, privacy concerns etc. Should I worry?

I wouldn't worry but it is effectively a root kit so it isn't surprising that AVG will call it a threat. It is open source though so its function and method is open - of course, I'm not suggesting you read the source but on the basis that enough people who would read the source still use it...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #64 on: 02 June, 2011, 11:20:18 am »
I couldn't download Prey - Market complained about the device not being registered or somesuch but other apps download fine (why did  I download Angry Birds?)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #65 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:06:00 pm »
Has anyone found a widget or app that will turn Airplane Mode on and off from the Home screen please?   I've found 2 but they don't run on an HTC Wildfire. 

My enquiry isn't mission critical - it's just a nice to have along with the toggles I have for 3G/WiFi/BlueTooth/GPS and one that switches sound/vibrate/off.    It's partly for battery saving and partly just to be able to switch the bloody phone off!

(I found an "airplane mode scheduler" - StudioKUMA AirPlane Scheduler - it installs but doesn't work)

Rob

« Reply #66 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:11:42 pm »
When I was waiting for my son's swimming lesson to end I came across one in the market. Had a quick search & found it was the Studiokuma one!

« Reply #67 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »
Has anyone found a widget or app that will turn Airplane Mode on and off from the Home screen please?   I've found 2 but they don't run on an HTC Wildfire. 

Widgetsoid2.x?

I have this on my Desire and it lets you make your own custom widgets for any function you like.

« Reply #68 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:58:52 pm »
Has anyone found a widget or app that will turn Airplane Mode on and off from the Home screen please? 

No need for a widget - press and hold the power button from any screen, one of the options in the list is Airplane Mode on / off.

robgul

« Reply #69 on: 04 June, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »
Has anyone found a widget or app that will turn Airplane Mode on and off from the Home screen please? 

No need for a widget - press and hold the power button from any screen, one of the options in the list is Airplane Mode on / off.

Err, yes I know that ... that's why I said it's just "a nice to have" - some more digging has found a suite of widgets by CurveFish that has one for Airplane ... seems to work OK from some quick testing.

The scheduler that doesn't work would be useful if it did - to switch almost everything off from say midnight to 0500 would save some battery drain.

Rob

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #70 on: 04 June, 2011, 06:38:34 pm »
Rob

I just used the HTC one, touch/hold the screen, select widget, settings, airplane mode

One touch turns it on or off.
I have it on the screen with a gps/wifi/profile etc

Rich

« Reply #71 on: 04 June, 2011, 08:43:02 pm »
Rob

I just used the HTC one, touch/hold the screen, select widget, settings, airplane mode

Rich

Excellent tip.   Just found that myself.  Thanks.   :)

robgul

« Reply #72 on: 04 June, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »
Rob

Rich

Excellent tip.   Just found that myself.  Thanks.   :)

This is odd - I had tried that one but it didn't work for some reason - I've now set it up again on the home screen and it now works.

Thanks

Rob

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #73 on: 17 August, 2011, 08:53:30 pm »
Good train time app recommendation?
Getting there...