Author Topic: Roof-bar cycle carrier  (Read 2842 times)

alan

Roof-bar cycle carrier
« on: 03 August, 2008, 08:01:11 pm »
Mine has just broken & I need a replacement which must have a pivoting arm which clamps to the seat tube of a touring frame as opposed to to the common type which clamps to the down tube of an mtb frame.
Any one on the forum use such a thing?.If so,tell me the model reference & source please.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Roof-bar cycle carrier
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2008, 09:12:20 pm »
The Thule 591 clamps to the down tube, but works perfectly ok with road and touring bikes (that's all we've carried on ours).   Any specific reason why that wouldn't do?
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

alan

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:05:18 am »
No specific reason,I prefer the more vertical support of an arm secured to the seat tube.Exactly what type of bikes do you use on yours?

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2008, 11:14:06 am »
We took these two over to Whitby for the C2C

and brought them back from Whitehaven at the end, with no problems at all.  I was suspicious at first, as I thought the binding wasn't going to be tight enough, but they were just fine.  If you use the outer bottle bosses on the downtube, the grip might possibly interfere, but we had no trouble at all.

Strangely, Halfords gave the best deal when we bought ours - cheaper than most of the online dealers.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rae

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2008, 11:53:35 am »
Having switched to mounts that grab the front forks, I'm never going back to mounts that hold down or seat tubes.  The front fork mounts were tested at quite improbable speeds on the way back from the Etape, they held up fine.

alan

« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:21:23 am »
The Thule 591

Fitted one of these to the car this morning.
As you say it does support the bike.It will be first used in anger on the journey back from Skegness next weekend.

Thanks for the comments & photo.

Tiger

« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2008, 12:11:59 pm »
Having switched to mounts that grab the front forks, I'm never going back to mounts that hold down or seat tubes.  The front fork mounts were tested at quite improbable speeds on the way back from the Etape, they held up fine.

+1 - front fork gripping with an axle spike is fast and rock solid. Also costs half as much as other types.