Author Topic: PBP Registration website  (Read 86920 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: PBP Registration website
« Reply #525 on: 20 February, 2019, 11:16:33 pm »
An hour at a museum??

Any time spent not pedalling, is time spent resting.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #526 on: 21 February, 2019, 08:10:39 am »
An hour at a museum??

Any time spent not pedalling, is time spent resting.

Noted.

*scribbles* “no museums”

« Reply #527 on: 21 February, 2019, 10:05:12 am »

An hour at a museum??

The friend who I was riding with wanted to visit his hero, Louis "Louison" Bobet, the great French Cyclists museum at Saint-Méen-le-Grand which PBP passes through. I just sat outside in the Sun catching a few "rays" and having something to eat.

In fact, only till just now when I checked my track in "Sportracks", I never knew where it was we went, and it actually felt like we was there an hour, but it was only just under 15 minutes but just over 20 mins off route.

Doing some research, and having things to tick off, helps keep the Penguins at bay. It's easy to get ground down by the relentless nature of the task. The controls ought to be natural punctuation marks, but to the first timer, they are often a source of extra stress.

https://youtu.be/Md4w1Li1zRY?t=39

Having points on the ride to anchor yourself to stops you being dragged down.

Saint-Méen-le-Grand is a case in point. Not only is there the museum, but the Town Hall is inspired by the one in Gouda, which is appropriate, as it's the cheesiest building on the route, a Disney Hotel de Ville, built in the 1930s.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #528 on: 21 February, 2019, 01:28:00 pm »
I've wanted to check out Bobet's museum for a couple of PBPs now but have never done it. Hopefully I'll be there when it is open and finally get to pay my respects. I may even make a point of visiting the Terront plaque in Versailles on registration day.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #529 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:44:25 pm »
About 1100 riders with a '2018 longest BRM' ride of 400 have pre-registered. The available places reduced to about 900 before the extra places were 'produced' and added by ACP earlier this week - 1840 available now (Thu 21 Feb pm). If there are no places left after the 200s have had their chance next month, I have read (?fB?) that in June ACP may not 'fill' places which pre-registrants vacate by failing to register (by 20 Jun) - using this as a mitigation for the risk generated by increasing the numbers starting on each quarter hour. At least these extra places added now, available for pre-registration means that all those who did just one 200 BRM last year (and take the trouble to pre-register ?promptly) have assurance, can get on with achieving their SR before the end of June, and committing to accommodation and travel.

« Reply #530 on: 22 February, 2019, 08:29:24 am »
I've wanted to check out Bobet's museum for a couple of PBPs now but have never done it. Hopefully I'll be there when it is open and finally get to pay my respects. I may even make a point of visiting the Terront plaque in Versailles on registration day.

Going by my timings and presuming the town is still enroute, the museum must only be about 2 or 3 minutes off route and very simple to get to looking at my track from 2015. Plus, you can ride up to the entrance on your bike and no long walk to get to it. So a 5 minute stop at the museum would only loose you about 11 minutes time at the most. Maybe worth leaving some room in your bag for a souvenier.

I have always looked for places of interest on Audax's, mainly battlefields, especially in areas that I have never been before. One example is one of my favourite films from years gone by when I was little, "Whistle Down the Wind" with Hayley Mills. About 3 years ago, I watched the film, again, and thought the village, Downham, was familiar to me. That weekend, I was riding, "Season of the Mists" once again, and suddenly realized that is where I know it from, the ride passes through it. Hence on the day, it gave me something to look forward to and visited some of the film locations in the village and took my pictures.

If PBP was to pass further North, I doubt I would ever get to Brest as there would be to many battlefields to visit that I have never been to, like the " US Breakout at St Lo" and the "Falaise Pocket".

« Reply #531 on: 22 February, 2019, 08:53:08 am »
It's possible to get the same 'fix' of concentrated Frenchness as PBP from the Semaine Federale. There are many of the same people about, the same volunteer ethos, but more varied locations.

There've been plenty of chances to visit battlefields and war memorials. Verdun, Agincourt, the Normandy Beaches and the Argonne have all featured. Last year was in Epinal, the site of a battle involving US forces.

« Reply #532 on: 22 February, 2019, 12:17:37 pm »
Or you could do this 400Brm
as a qualifier and a shake down of PBP kit and ferry travel plans

https://www.cyclo-club-montebourg-saint-germain-de-tournebut.com/longue-distance/2019/mai-400km-juin-1944/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #533 on: 22 February, 2019, 12:21:58 pm »
That organiser really knows his stuff. His events are well thought through.

bairn again

« Reply #534 on: 22 February, 2019, 09:03:52 pm »
It's possible to get the same 'fix' of concentrated Frenchness as PBP from the Semaine Federale. There are many of the same people about, the same volunteer ethos, but more varied locations.

There've been plenty of chances to visit battlefields and war memorials. Verdun, Agincourt, the Normandy Beaches and the Argonne have all featured. Last year was in Epinal, the site of a battle involving US forces.

In 2019 i will be doing both. 

Bit of a faff travelling Cognac - Edinburgh and Edinburgh - Paris with just a few days between but it will all be worth it. 

Sadly no offspring with us for SF so just the two of us. 

« Reply #535 on: 24 February, 2019, 11:10:38 pm »
Oh well, that was painless.

Tried for 2000, but the 8 places in that group had gone by the time I'd clicked between screens. 2100 it is, to keep the control time offsets simple. And at least I'll know that I've got more time in hand than anyone else I see from a different group, at least until the 84 hour starters begin to overtake.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #536 on: 24 February, 2019, 11:19:40 pm »
Yus.  :thumbsup: I suspect the actual qualifiers will be much more painful; at least they have an additional purpose now.

Possibly nearly as painful as finding accomodation in Rambouillet
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

JJ

« Reply #537 on: 24 February, 2019, 11:23:37 pm »
Well that's me pre-reg'd for the 84 hour.  I'm not good at riding through the night, so a morning start gives me a chance to get some time in hand before night falls.

I'm really not 100% committed to the whole thing, but I'll do the qualifiers and see if I finish them.  It would be a chance to visit my old club at Maule if I do get there, and at worst I'll end up a bit fitter than I am now.

Pedal up!

« Reply #538 on: 24 February, 2019, 11:26:58 pm »
350 places gone in 20 minutes. This compares 500 places going to 400ers in the same time.

400ers ultimately took 1000 places. So wildly extrapolating we get 700 places going to 300ers, which leaves around 1000 places for 200ers, about 450 of which will be 90 hours.

« Reply #539 on: 25 February, 2019, 07:19:33 am »
Just signed up for the 90hour start.  Only places available start at 20.15 onwards. So I went for that time.

« Reply #540 on: 25 February, 2019, 07:43:44 pm »
400ers ultimately took 1000 places. So wildly extrapolating we get 700 places going to 300ers, which leaves around 1000 places for 200ers, about 450 of which will be 90 hours.

About 600 gone now, so I reckon about 800 gone by the time it opens for 200ers. If the 2015 numbers are right and demand from 200ers is slightly less than from 300ers, there may still be a few hundred places left for people who've never ridden a bike before.

(No 90 hour places though, probably mostly 84 hour places)

« Reply #541 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:20:41 pm »
If the 2015 numbers are right and demand from 200ers is slightly less than from 300ers, there may still be a few hundred places left for people who've never ridden a bike before.

My hats off to anyone who hasn't ever ridden a bike and gives PBP a go.

« Reply #542 on: 25 February, 2019, 08:43:01 pm »
If the 2015 numbers are right and demand from 200ers is slightly less than from 300ers, there may still be a few hundred places left for people who've never ridden a bike before.

My hats off to anyone who hasn't ever ridden a bike and gives PBP a go.

When you find yourself sprawled over a table in smelly, stinky, sweat-infested Loudeac on the return leg, you'll be wishing you'd never ever ridden one of the stupid bloody things in the first place....ever in your life.....I can tell you  :facepalm: :D
Garry Broad

« Reply #543 on: 26 February, 2019, 10:26:01 am »
(Tricky to ride PBP if you don't ride any qualifiers though...)

I completed PBP on a bike that I'd only ridden ~50km on before the start of the ride.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #544 on: 26 February, 2019, 10:29:51 am »
I know a lady who had ridden less than 2000km that year before the PBP start line, including qualifying (no time on a trainer either). It was a long, slow ride without much sleep but she got round.

« Reply #545 on: 26 February, 2019, 05:40:38 pm »
I know a lady who had ridden less than 2000km that year before the PBP start line, including qualifying (no time on a trainer either). It was a long, slow ride without much sleep but she got round.

I was almost certainly under 2000km (and no turbo) for the year up to the start line of PBP 2011. As far as Audaxes go I did the bare minimum SR and a single other 100km ride (which I probably made into a 200km ride).

In 2016 I rode further on the MR24 than I had in the year up until that ride. That wasn't particularly clever and certainly explained a few things about that ride!

Experience, bloody mindedness and muscle memory are useful, if painful, substitutes for actual physical fitness.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #546 on: 26 February, 2019, 06:25:56 pm »
All good fun but it was her first (and possibly last) year of Audaxing.

rob

« Reply #547 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:51:39 pm »
In 2016 I rode further on the MR24 than I had in the year up until that ride. That wasn't particularly clever and certainly explained a few things about that ride!

That and the half-time fish supper.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #548 on: 26 February, 2019, 09:21:18 pm »
Currently 9 spaces in the 90hr Velo Special start. I wonder if later weirdo entrants will default to the 84hr VS or normal 90hr start.

« Reply #549 on: 26 February, 2019, 09:48:08 pm »
Currently 9 spaces in the 90hr Velo Special start. I wonder if later weirdo entrants will default to the 84hr VS or normal 90hr start.

Did the French extend the VS numbers when they released the extra spaces a while back, or has the number remained the same from the beginning?
Garry Broad