Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813954 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23000 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:02:19 pm »
short 33km ride, felt cold, couldn't get legs to work......meh!

« Reply #23001 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:15:51 pm »
Chitty chitty bang bang ford?

I think cycleman might mean the Genevieve ford.
http://www.donbrockway.com/filming%20locations.htm

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23002 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:20:59 pm »

I think cycleman might mean the Genevieve ford.
http://www.donbrockway.com/filming%20locations.htm
Thanks! You and cycleman both have greater movie knowledge than me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Phil W

« Reply #23003 on: 03 April, 2020, 03:37:54 pm »
Yes did a minimal distance loop round the outside of town.

My basic rules were.

1. You can only exit / enter the boundary of town in one place.
2. You can go anti clockwise or clockwise but must maintain that direction.
3. You must circumnavigate the town you live in, doing it in the minimum distance possible. Either a road or off road version depending on bike and options.
4. You must not re-enter the town till the circumnavigation is complete.
5. You should make every effort to avoid any other nearby town.
6. You have a bit of latitude on lanes you pick based on their condition.
7. You can ignore more direct main roads you wouldn't normally ride, even if it may be ok during the lockdown.

Made for a pleasant loop and connected the lanes in a way I hadn’t done as a whole before. As I usually head off further afield. Meant I got a reasonable length ride in and never all that far from home at any point.

« Reply #23004 on: 03 April, 2020, 04:28:23 pm »

My basic rules were.

Congratulations it sounds like a splendid plan
It has a lot of the elements of a 200km Round Leicester DIY that I planned a few years ago, but never rode.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23005 on: 03 April, 2020, 04:40:38 pm »
sounds interesting, and in my case would effectively follow the course of the February Hardriders TT run from the village, starting at the pub at the other end.

Today I followed a short part of that route adn then deviated.  Glorious sunshine, if a little breezy, and I went a little over enthusiastic with the pace and HR, but it was the first time i've been out since my eye screening in late February
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23006 on: 03 April, 2020, 05:29:04 pm »
I did about 10 miles on the Moulton.  It's much better as a fixie.  I need to get another LH brake lever and butcher it, because a "real" brake lever rattles insufferably with no cable attached.  Plus it reminds you not to pull it in an emergency  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23007 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:31:37 pm »

So it seems:
The car is powered by a Ford three-litre V6 engine and has a dashboard plate from a British World War I fighter plane.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13405700
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

bairn again

« Reply #23008 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:24:47 pm »
50k solo from home out to Linlithgow and back.  Roads a bit busier than earlier in the week and worryingly saw one group of 4 cyclists who looked highly unlikely to be from the same household.  Suprised the police didnt stop them as I saw a police car on 4 separate occasions, unheard of in normal conditions.

I suspect we will see a further clampdown after Sunday given the warm forecast. 

« Reply #23009 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:04:58 pm »

My basic rules were.

Congratulations it sounds like a splendid plan
It has a lot of the elements of a 200km Round Leicester DIY that I planned a few years ago, but never rode.
The London Orbital audax is 300 km... it would be 200 on the M25! Tbh, if it weren't for illegality, the M25 would be fine, if monotonous, at the moment.

It's a bit boring for my village, sorry, "town" unless you do it as a run...

And Oxford, my university home, has a ring road, so there's an obvious route.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2793146736

« Reply #23010 on: 04 April, 2020, 09:02:57 am »

My basic rules were.

Seems like a fun game. Not sure it'd work in Sheffield though..

« Reply #23011 on: 04 April, 2020, 09:36:50 am »
Minimal distance loop would be fine for me for half of a circle; bit damp for the other half as I live on the coast.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23012 on: 04 April, 2020, 10:50:05 am »
I used to do the Outer Circle (aka A4040) in Birmingham on Sunday mornings (this was before Sunday shopping ruined weekend cycling).  I think it's 32 miles and it took about 2 hours.  There was a surprisingly fast bit near Erdington and the only real slog was from Stirchley up to Kings Heath (the amusingly-named Pineapple Road).  As I only ever went anti-clockwise, this was right at the beginning for me.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23013 on: 04 April, 2020, 12:34:43 pm »
I note that this is probably the time, if there ever was such a thing (I've been living in Brum for over 10 years and haven't worked up the inclination), to ride the outer circle...

A proper circumnavigation of the Wet Midlands Conurbation is a 200k audax.

« Reply #23014 on: 04 April, 2020, 05:15:07 pm »
Nice loop down to Largs on deserted roads this morning, a little windy and cold but fine when moving. No cafe's open so Co op for supplies.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46630854
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23015 on: 04 April, 2020, 05:43:03 pm »
Saw Batman again.  This time he was waiting patiently at the pelican crossing next to where the tram terminus isn't[1].  While such adherence to the highway code is classic Batman, it didn't appear to be thwarting him in the pursuit of an arch villain.

[1] One of those classic landmarks you get given by people who've lived somewhere for decades.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23016 on: 04 April, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
Just over 10 miles of very similar loop to the last two. I extended it very slightly this evening to establish a very important fact: the fish & chip shop over the road is serving. This will be patronised in the near future.

Regarding cycling all the way around my town, given that it's Saarfend, I might manage it if it was low tide and I had a Fatbike, or high tide and I put my bike on one of these:

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23017 on: 04 April, 2020, 06:53:32 pm »
Just over 10 miles of very similar loop to the last two. I extended it very slightly this evening to establish a very important fact: the fish & chip shop over the road is serving. This will be patronised in the near future.

Regarding cycling all the way around my town, given that it's Saarfend, I might manage it if it was low tide and I had a Fatbike, or high tide and I put my bike on one of these:

But but but... you've lost your Tilly hat! You can't go to New York bareheaded!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Phil W

« Reply #23018 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:05:04 pm »
Now there is a dated photo

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23019 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:31:43 pm »
Planning on riding the fixed to Windsor tomorrow. I'll have to arrange for somewhere to top a water bottle up though. Hm.

Shouldn't be further than an 80km round trip.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23020 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:41:42 pm »
30km around the lanes locally. I rarely go further anyway, but I was never more than 5km from home - a lot of zig-zagging and at least one lane I'd never ridden before. Think I might take a cross bike out tomorrow and investigate some bridleways I found. There weren't as many people as I expected out. A couple of cycling families, two horse riding children (with Mum on a bike behind them!) and perhaps half a dozen walkers. And only two cars. I saw nothing to make me feel that the lockdown is faltering.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23021 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:55:59 pm »
The PSOs are home at the moment, so today was a family ride of 80k with Mrs F and PSO the Elder.

Mrs F had a niggling knee injury which kicked in around half-way, which slowed things down a bit, but otherwise a nice ride.
A HBFO buzzard skimmed down over my head, and flew a meter above the road directly in front of me for several seconds before veering off into the woods.
It was *massive* in my field of vision!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3254252112

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23022 on: 04 April, 2020, 08:06:47 pm »
Now there is a dated photo

Yes, I thought that too.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23023 on: 04 April, 2020, 08:46:02 pm »
Out on the new to me boingy bike, exploring the bridleways round my way. Saw one horse and rider, but that was on a nice wide bridleway, then two couples neccesitating knarly bike handling skillz* to keep a good 2m away.

Fantastic sunny evening, the only downer was my OS map made a bid for freedom somewhere on the final 3km, so I'll go and try to find it tomorrow.

* or maybe I just bumped up over some tree roots.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23024 on: 04 April, 2020, 09:19:52 pm »
50 km today, of which almost the entirety was on the A30. No, no, not the Devon/Cornwall bit!!  Not that I'd mind, looking at traffic cameras...

Some "nice" hills at a decent pace, and my heart rate monitor finally decided to work again. Motor-paced a motorist who ended up doing a naughty forty in an urban area  ::-) - they came past me at under 30 mph when I was doing 25, so that was a laughably easy draft to catch.  :thumbsup:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3254393729