Author Topic: UCI "suspicious list" leaked by l'Equipe  (Read 5476 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
UCI "suspicious list" leaked by l'Equipe
« on: 13 May, 2011, 10:31:23 am »
Link - cyclingnews.com

As explained by the newspaper, only the scores of zero and one meant that the riders had a very clean record. Ratings from two to four were based on stable passports which nevertheless showed a rare abnormality at a precise time. From five upwards, the comments associated to the rider files started to become much more precise, "even affirmative" according to L'Equipe.

From six to ten, the circumstantial evidence of possible doping was "overwhelming".

Cancellera is a cleaner-than-clean zero, Wiggins is at a chin-stroking 5, but the biggest surprise to me is local boy done good Geraint Thomas with a suspicious 6.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
Re: UCI "suspicious list" leaked by l'Equipe
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:33:19 am »
Well well well  ;)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:37:28 am »
You beat me by 90 seconds!

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:39:19 am »
Massive margin, son.

These things can come down to 1/100th seconds

Tim

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:40:46 am »
Yes, but this thread does have the sensible title to attract the punters.

Edit:
And some text to go with the link, value distinctly added in 90 seconds. The race to just post links is over there (and this would be disqualified as a non-conforming link - it has to be from the guardian, preferably one of their opinion pieces)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
I heard that there is suspicion that Ramin's post was, er, enhanced slightly.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:47:33 am »
biggest surprise to me is local boy done good Geraint Thomas with a suspicious 6.

I do believe he is lacking a spleen. I imagine that would make the haematological values look a little less 'normal' perhaps.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:51:01 am »
biggest surprise to me is local boy done good Geraint Thomas with a suspicious 6.

I do believe he is lacking a spleen. I imagine that would make the haematological values look a little less 'normal' perhaps.

Yes, good point. I'd hope the UCI would take this into account before giving a rider a figure though.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:15:02 am »
Interesting looking at the scores of some of the riders in the most avowedly anti-doping teams...

Geraint Thomas anomaly aside, Wiggins gets a 5, same as Vino and Contador. Gerrans, Barry and EBH all get 0. Team average 2.44.

Tony Martin and Mick Rogers get 7, while Sivtsov gets 8. Wonder how vocal anti-doper Cav feels about that. Team average 3.56.

Garmin have a team average of less than 1.89, with Millar and Vandevelde their high-scorers on 4, which makes the whole team pretty much suspicion-free.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:16:30 am »
RadioShack get a team average of 4.44, even with Horner and Rast scoring 0.

d.

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:18:56 am »

Yes, good point. I'd hope the UCI would take this into account before giving a rider a figure though.

Charlie Wegalius also has had his spleen removed and has high haematonin. He only gets a 3.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:22:05 am »
Cofidis have a team average of 0.44. Kern and Minard let the side down with scores of 2 apiece, everyone else registering 0.

Cofidis is a French team, isn't it?

d.

« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:24:56 am »

Edit:
And some text to go with the link, value distinctly added in 90 seconds. The race to just post links is over there (and this would be disqualified as a non-conforming link - it has to be from the guardian, preferably one of their opinion pieces)

You are Beaker AICMFP

:demon:

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:26:00 am »
FdJ, another French team, average 1.67, with low scores across the board for their French riders, only let down by the Austrian interloper Sulzberger, who gets a 7.

No wonder the French riders never win anything.

d.

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:47:11 am »
Of course these are just results from last year. Grim reading in some ways, but quite affirming when somebody like Cancellara's comes out clean.

Whiffy Wiggins and Mendacious Millar? Who knows...

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:59:24 am »
Of course these are just results from last year.

...which is why it seems odd that Contador scores as low as 5, given the whole meatgate affair.

Grim reading in some ways, but quite affirming when somebody like Cancellara's comes out clean.

Yes, very much so. And Chavanel, my favourite rider in the whole peloton, scores 1, which is very reassuring.

Unless it just means he has a better doctor than the other riders... (Frank Schleck gets a 2? Hmm)

d.

« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »
Yes, although according to the interpretation even a 5 is whiffy.  Somebody like Contador may well be able to afford the very best medical care. Besides, remember that Kohl said the passport was helpful information for doping riders to control their blood values.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »
And Jeremy Hunt way up there with a 7?

« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:32:46 pm »
Hmmm...jobbing domestique who has to dope in order to be useful?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:50:42 pm »

Edit:

Cryptic titles laden with implications are also much more at home in POBI, not in the sensible bits of YACF.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »
Oh come on; a post called "Well, well, well" from RP in "Racing" is only going to be about one thing.  Far less cryptic than many other thread titles scattered all over this forum

Tim

« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:25:06 pm »
Is there any helpful breakdown of the numbers by team/nationality/history that puts together whether there is notably variance across such factors?

Tim

« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:29:12 pm »
L'Equipe has done the job: L’Equipe Calculates Index Of Suspicion For Teams And Nations | Cyclingnews.com

<Reads list>

So, the French do give the impression of being clean, the UK comes out pretty poorly (with a chunk of old Europe) and eastern Europe is pretty bad. Though in the case of some nations the low number of riders in the TdF mean that the results may not be particularly representative.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #24 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:37:50 pm »
Fascinating. Team Sky, who've had a pretty public anti-doping stance are bang in the middle, and Bob Stapleton's team way up there with the worst.

Somehow the worst three nations being ex-Soviet states doesn't surprise me.